£500 Laptop Budget

Posted 16th Dec 2019
Hi, really looking for some guidance. The deals on here are so difficult because of the critics.

Mainly used at home for films, occasional word processing, internet browsing etc. Biggish screen preferred.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
for what you want, don't need to spend more than £400. plenty laptops below that price that would suit your need. i find all the criticism and comments the most helpful aspect of buying a laptop as you get a gauge of whether you are getting value.

look for 15.6 inch screen, i5 or ryzen 5 processor with 8gb ram. 256 gb ssd. at least 10 hour battery life, and you are good to go. plenty on the deals section.
The problem is there are too many critics that don't actually base their recommendations on what the OP wants.

Because you wont be playing games you won't need a gfx card in the laptop and that keeps the price reasonable.

Mutley1 has the right sort of spec sorted for you.
MEDION AKOYA P6645 Core i5 8GB 1TB HDD 128GB SSD GeForce MX150 15.6" Win10 Home Laptop

ebuyer.com/883…120
You should be able to find a decent 17 inch laptop for that budget like a Dell Inspiron 17 3000 if you wait till after Christmas.

As you mainly use it at home I wouldn't worry too much about battery life or weight as you will pay a premium for these.
Edited by: "Gormond" 17th Dec 2019
Gormond17/12/2019 09:54

You should be able to find a decent 17 inch laptop for that budget like a …You should be able to find a decent 17 inch laptop for that budget like a Dell Inspiron 17 3000 if you wait till after Christmas.As you mainly use it at home I wouldn't worry too much about battery life or weight as you will pay a premium for these.

i never take the laptop out of the house, never. but to me it is still important that the battery life is good on the machine as i don't want to be charging it every 5 minutes or have it plugged in all the time (or often). my laptop has 10 hour battery life on the spec but i find this often equate to 2 to 3 hours real time before it needs charging.

i also find a heavy laptop is uncomfortable on my lap for long periods so it is best to have a lighter laptop if you can but a lot of people are not that bothered about the weight of the laptop, especially if you don't actually put the laptop on your lap but on a desk.
Snap, just started a Discussion looking for pretty much the same, only found your post after, ... agree in that finding it hard to make a decision having trawled through the multitude of deals posted recently, sitting on the fence for the perfect one, which means I may never bite :/.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions