EXPIRED

500GB external HD suggestions please

I am after an external hard drive to store images and home video.

I intend buying a HDD camcorder and they are very memory hungry.

Does anyone have any suggestions for decent external HDs please?

I only have usb2 ports on my PC but I'll probably put a firewire card in too when I get the camcorder.

Thanks

8 Comments

i got an iomega 1 from comet reserve online for £53 about a month ago is a plug and play and works a dream

got the westerdigital mybook off amazon: pretty happy, has built in sleep mode which i like since connected to a nslu2

I have the LaCie 500GB External Hard Drive USB2.0 Black works very well.

http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0133284_C0000004_P0000000.jpg

Original Poster

Wow, lots of different ones to consider - dumb(er) question - do any of them come with usb2 and firewire connections?

Thanks

You can get pocket sized portable usb-powered drives at 500GB now but you'll pay a big premium for them over the desktop sort with the AC power adaptors like the ones suggested.

Original Poster

Hi endless, not bothered about the size or portability, but dual ports would be useful.

neilc;2253015

Wow, lots of different ones to consider - dumb(er) question - do any of … Wow, lots of different ones to consider - dumb(er) question - do any of them come with usb2 and firewire connections?Thanks

think the iomega does

I've had both 80GB and 250Gb versions of the Lacie HDD posted earlier, and they've both been excellent. I bought the 80GB drive in 2004, I've since sold it to my friend and it's still going. The 250GB I bought in 2006 and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047129
    2. The great big HUKD Nintendo thread3345660
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767339
    4. word association Game73944513

See more discussions