50cc moped on a full driving licence

Found 9th Aug 2010
I have a full driving licence (not bike) but my CBT has expired. I read today that the CBT only expires if you have a provisional licence, but with my full licence my CBT certificate is still valid even though it has expired...

Can anyone shed any light on this, I'm trying to sell my bike but may insure it for 2 months before uni if this is the case.

Community Updates

Certificate of completion (DL 196)

When all five elements have been satisfactorily completed, a certificate of completion, called the DL196, is issued. This is a legal document which validates the relevant entitlements on your driving licence.

It is important that the holder of a DL196 considers the following points:

* a DL196 certificate entitlement lasts for two years - CBT will have to be retaken if both theory and practical tests are not passed within the two year certificate life
* for moped entitlement only, if you pass your car driving test whilst your DL196 is still current or complete a CBT course and obtain a DL196 after passing your car test, the certificate is not subject to expiry, you will therefore need to keep your DL196 certificate safely. Please note that this applies to mopeds only, for riding motorcycles as a learner the DL196 remains valid for two years

Once you have your certificate you are advised to take additional training to pass your theory and practical tests and qualify for a motorcycle or moped licence. You must take the DL196 certificate with you when you go to your practical test.
If you passed your car test awhile ago, I thinkl this gives you entitlement to drive a 50cc mpode without L plates?

I can stand corrected on this one?


When did you pass your test? I think you might be alright on a 50cc without a valid cbt but I could be wrong.


If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need … If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

Edited by: "jtx" 9th Aug 2010
Only if your licence was done i think before 1998 - otherwise you need a cbt
dude, looks like your walking from now on
Post a comment

    Top Discussions

    Top Discussions

    Top Merchants