Expired

5.1 speaker system - help needed!

10 replies
Found 4th Oct 2008
I am looking for a decent 5.1 speaker system with built in decoder that has at least 1 optical input (preferably 2), that does NOT include a DVD player.

Something along the lines of the Logitech Z5500

amazon.co.uk/Log…8-4

Looking at paying around £150, anyone got any ideas of what to go for and then the best deal??

10 Comments

Personally Id buy an Av receiver and then seperate speakers.

Check out [url]www.richersounds.co.uk[/url]

I swear by them.

Ali

Try to find a Sony htss1100 - Now discontinued as replaced by htss1300 so might be lucky - Auction site might be your best option

Original Poster

thanks, any kind of advice on whats best to get? dont want anything too in depth, just decent sound with the inputs so i can plug my Sky+ and PS3 (PS3 priority) through optical

Original Poster

RoyalRenegade;3116315

Try to find a Sony htss1100 - Now discontinued as replaced by htss1300 so … Try to find a Sony htss1100 - Now discontinued as replaced by htss1300 so might be lucky - Auction site might be your best option

that sytem is perfect, i want it! quick look around the usual places, no stock, nothin on auction either

Just remember that you will need a device with two optical inputs to have your sky + connected at the same time as unfortunately the optical signal from the sky + box is on constantly and interferes with other connections if you use a splitter box - unless it is physically switched.

They don't appear to have any wonderful deals just now, but if you sign up to their newsletter then Richer sounds some times have a couple of £99 amps. Incidentally I bought my AMP from ebay, Try to look for items (av receiver) that are close to you by filtering your searches accordingly and then you could negate the often high postage charges.

HTH

Ali

Original Poster

seems the Sony htsF1100 is still available - only difference being tall speakers.

Is there a replacement model for the Sony htss1100 coming out soon, if it has been discontinued?

Look above - replaced by htss1300. There was a htss1200 at superhifi but that has gone now too.

The htss1300 is about £270ish at best from memory - You could find a system with 1 input and get a cheap splitter for a few pounds - I have one as have 3 opt inputs - You won't need all at once so just turn off what you don't need.

RoyalRenegade;3117999

Look above - replaced by htss1300. There was a htss1200 at superhifi but … Look above - replaced by htss1300. There was a htss1200 at superhifi but that has gone now too.The htss1300 is about £270ish at best from memory - You could find a system with 1 input and get a cheap splitter for a few pounds - I have one as have 3 opt inputs - You won't need all at once so just turn off what you don't need.

You will need a switchable splitter though as the sky + signal is always on and interferes with other signals.

Original Poster

thanks for all your help, but i think the HTSS1300 is out of my budget.

Are there any similar products to the HTSS1200 available for around £150?? The 2 hdmi in and 1 out feature is something i would like now, as my TV only has one HDMI in port, and i am planning to add Sky HD with my PS3, and want both connected by HDMI

Original Poster

managed to get a HTSS1100 on eBay for £120, happy with that, so thanks for everyones help
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cannot upgrade to iOS 11.0.311
    2. Christmas presents613
    3. Mobile phone advice79
    4. dakine backpacks33

See more discussions