Groups
    EXPIRED

5.1 surround system query

Hi, I bought a 5.1 dvd system a few years ago, but now I want to run my PS3 through it to get surround sound when watching Blu-ray, however it doesnt have any form of HDMI access port. My 5.1 system is a Philips HTS 3500 S (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HTS3500S-Multichannel-Cinema-playback/dp/B00096J3GW). Aside from getting a completely new system, can I just say get a new central unit (I dont know what the techincal term is), or an add on which would make this work and thus be cheaper than getting a whole new system? Any links or suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!

6 Comments

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7651544

The word you're looking for is an Amplifier.

Thanks - so can i get a cheap amplifier that will accomodate what I already have, or do I need to get a whole new system?

The PS3 got a optical out (TOS link) if your amp has an input for one of these you just need a optical cable (few pound) for true 5.1 surround sound.
    If your amp says DTS it will also support this over Optical. (Best)
    If your just using red/yellow/white compositive cable then your only send a stereo signial that your AMP tries to make 5.1 (ok but not the best)
    If your using HDMI and your TV has Coxial, cable the Coxial from TV to AMP (good 5.1 sound but o DTS)

Not all games go upto DTS, one I know that do Killzone2, COD is only 5.1. Bluray most/some (I only have few) don't do DTS.

does your surround sound have an optical out buddy?

if so all you need is an optical cable. Thats how Ive got mine set up, obviously will depend on your surround sound

Have just had a look mate and your surround sound supports DTS. All you need is an optical cable running from your surround sound to your ps3. Got mine from maplin. Just depends what size you need i.e how far away your ps3 is from your surround sound:

[url]www.maplin.co.uk[/url]

Wont let me copy & paste the exact link so just search for 'optical cable' on the home page and they'll show up.

You can keep the speakers and buy an amplifier (these usually don't include a radio), or an Audio Visual Receiver (which do include a radio). Connect the PS3 to the amplifier, along with the speakers and connect the amplifier output to the TV via HDMI.

You will then be able to play all your discs using the PS3 and lose the DVD player.

If you buy an amplifier without a radio and want radio functionality, you will need to keep the DVD player and connect this to the amplifier too, via line-out - most amplifiers should allow you to do this. The amp will then power the speakers for surround sound from the PS3 and for the radio output from the Philips DVD player.

Original Poster

manchesterjim;7652188

does your surround sound have an optical out buddy?if so all you need is … does your surround sound have an optical out buddy?if so all you need is an optical cable. Thats how Ive got mine set up, obviously will depend on your surround soundHave just had a look mate and your surround sound supports DTS. All you need is an optical cable running from your surround sound to your ps3. Got mine from maplin. Just depends what size you need i.e how far away your ps3 is from your surround sound:[url]www.maplin.co.uk[/url]Wont let me copy & paste the exact link so just search for 'optical cable' on the home page and they'll show up.

Thanks, though I don't think my amplifier / DVD system has an optical port. What makes you think it does? Perhaps I am being naive / dumb?!

alex_reuben;7652693

Thanks, though I don't think my amplifier / DVD system has an optical … Thanks, though I don't think my amplifier / DVD system has an optical port. What makes you think it does? Perhaps I am being naive / dumb?!

Says on the link you provided that your system supports DTS, so i think it should have an optical out.

Might be wrong but whenever I or someone I know has bought DTS compatible systems theyve always had an optical out. :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553776
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826351
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767194
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424214484

See more discussions