Groups
    EXPIRED

5:2 diet, anyone done or doing it? any tips?

Im thinking of giving it a go tbh

any tips at all for the diet?

Does it matter what 2 days you choose to eat 600 cals or less in ?

96 Comments

Original Poster

Eat what you want five days a week, send your body to starvation mode for two.

Sounds ridiculous

Not sure, some people at work are trying it. I would advise not doing the two days at the sme time you do physical exercise or need considerable concentration at tasks.

Banned

Sigh, it seems people are willing to do absolutely anything to lose weight rather than exercising.

Atkins and exercise down to 15st from 19.11st X)

I started a diet recently (1-2 months ago). I eat exactly the same as usual except for 4 evenings a week (4pm till bed time) where I have reduced intake to a max of 500 calories. I am quite greedy the rest of the time (snacks/take aways/big dinners/desserts/etc).

It has been enough of a change to drop 3/4 of a stone so far (bmi from 26 down to 24.1), though I do exercise and walk regularly.

My point being, create your own sensible diet based on your lifestyle
    Edited by: "delusion" 19th Jun 2014

Banned

http://doyouevenliftblogdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/and-a-diet-coke-meme.jpg

KillFelix

i always get diet drink at takeaway X)

havince, you worked out what 600cals looks like?

Original Poster

KillFelix

Sigh, it seems people are willing to do absolutely anything to lose … Sigh, it seems people are willing to do absolutely anything to lose weight rather than exercising.

im already back at the gym so its not about not exercising.

im currently going gym every other day so thinking its prob a good dea for example to do the 2 fast days tue and thur as i got gym mon and wed

Original Poster

brilly

i always get diet drink at takeaway X)havince, you worked out what … i always get diet drink at takeaway X)havince, you worked out what 600cals looks like?

iv printed some stuff off with examples LOL its not a lot at all

i belive aswell the remark about EATING WHAT YOU WANT on the other 5 days is pretty flawed, there needs to be atleast some sense on those 5 days
    Edited by: "Havince" 19th Jun 2014

Havince

iv printed some stuff off with examples LOL its not a lot at alli belive … iv printed some stuff off with examples LOL its not a lot at alli belive aswell the remark about EATING WHAT YOU WANT on the other 5 days is pretty flawed, there needs to be atleast some sense on those 5 days

i eat way more than 600cals for breakfast never mind a whole day, you'd feel dead lol

yeah its not a binging license
    could probably save the same cals over the week just by cutting back a little

you save 4 or 5k cals in those 2 days, over the week less as you think you can eat more
    so probs equivalent normal diet 500cals a day cut without the pain etc

A guy I work with has been on this for 18 months and has lost over 3 stone. It's become a part of his lifestyle, not strictly sticking to the 600 cals now he's lost what he needed to, but rather two days of around 1000 cals. He says he feels so much better and that he looks forward to his two light days.

Banned

Is that Cat still watching you ?

Banned

Havince

im already back at the gym so its not about not exercising.im currently … im already back at the gym so its not about not exercising.im currently going gym every other day so thinking its prob a good dea for example to do the 2 fast days tue and thur as i got gym mon and wed

It can't be healthy for you though.

Just eat a more balanced diet, go for an extra half hour walk each day and it will sort itself out.

Banned

eat less, exercise more

Original Poster

there is a hell of a lot of people on it. for me i think ill find being strinct on 2 days easier than planning out a whole 7 days

Im gonna give it a got starting monday. with tuesday and thur being the death days

dont do the 5:2 diet at all... do the new slimming world proven to work and easy to maintain.

Original Poster

Lucifer_UK

dont do the 5:2 diet at all... do the new slimming world proven to work … dont do the 5:2 diet at all... do the new slimming world proven to work and easy to maintain.

went to slimming world. the whole points and sins thing did my head in.

Banned

Havince

went to slimming world. the whole points and sins thing did my head in.

Syns

Original Poster

KillFelix

Syns

see thats how much attention i paid lol

It's all nonsense. Just eat less calories and exercise. Take your time losing it too or you will end up piling it all back on with extra.

I don't agree with the 5:2 diet as it cannot be good sending your body into starvation mode like that.

Original Poster

biddilybah

It's all nonsense. Just eat less calories and exercise. Take your time … It's all nonsense. Just eat less calories and exercise. Take your time losing it too or you will end up piling it all back on with extra.I don't agree with the 5:2 diet as it cannot be good sending your body into starvation mode like that.

well, if i die its been a pleasure

Havince

im already back at the gym so its not about not exercising.im currently … im already back at the gym so its not about not exercising.im currently going gym every other day so thinking its prob a good dea for example to do the 2 fast days tue and thur as i got gym mon and wed

Erm... if anything that's the wrong way around! You need energy before the gym and recovery afterwards. Not the best time to go starving yourself.

Eat more fruit and vegetables (especially replace snack foods with fruit) grill meats eat more fish

Exercise with low weights and repetition to tone muscle/reduce fat rather than heavy weights to building muscle (muscle is just as heavy as fat) What weighs more - muscle or fat?

Havince

well, if i die its been a pleasure

It probably won't kill you, but I imagine it must do some damage.

Original Poster

biddilybah

:pIt probably won't kill you, but I imagine it must do some damage.

my way of thinking is its just two days

im sure i can cope

The only problem with this way of 'fasting' is that your body thinks its starving and panics, then when you eat normally again it stores all the calories you consume as fat rather than anything else as it thinks you are going to starve it again? As others have said, surely limiting yourself to a thousand or so calories a day across the entire week would be healthier? I'm no expert on this diet though, it seems to work for some as long as you don't binge too much on the other days......;)

Havince

my way of thinking is its just two daysim sure i can cope

Well, if you want to try it, go for it. Just make sure that you don't go near the weights on your fasting days. You'll end up hurting yourself as you won't have the energy to lift them.

Original Poster

ji29zard

The only problem with this way of 'fasting' is that your body thinks its … The only problem with this way of 'fasting' is that your body thinks its starving and panics, then when you eat normally again it stores all the calories you consume as fat rather than anything else as it thinks you are going to starve it again? As others have said, surely limiting yourself to a thousand or so calories a day across the entire week would be healthier? I'm no expert on this diet though, it seems to work for some as long as you don't binge too much on the other days......;)

yeah thats the only thing i read that seemed off. them saying you can eat cake etc every other day is total BS for the reason you just gave.

philphil61

Eat more fruit and vegetables (especially replace snack foods with fruit) … Eat more fruit and vegetables (especially replace snack foods with fruit) grill meats eat more fishExercise with low weights and repetition to tone muscle/reduce fat rather than heavy weights to building muscle (muscle is just as heavy as fat) What weighs more - muscle or fat?

muscle is heavier than fat but the weight of muscle is irrelevant
    id image though havince is trying to 'lose weight' hes actually trying to lose fat and be healthier

Original Poster

brilly

muscle is heavier than fat but the weight of muscle is irrelevantid image … muscle is heavier than fat but the weight of muscle is irrelevantid image though havince is trying to 'lose weight' hes actually trying to lose fat and be healthier

Basically yes. iv always had a build. unfortunatly i need to loose some weight from it fat wise lol

Hubby been doing this 5:2 for a few months and he looks fab! Lost two stone, geeks great and if you read all the official info about this type if dieting it says it can help prevent lots of health issues!
    I want to do it desperately but I have absolutely ZERO willpower!
    Would be nice if someone could actually tell me how they motivate themselves those two fasting days?
    Also make sure your fasting days are not consecutive as that is not the right way if doing it!

traythegreat

Hubby been doing this 5:2 for a few months and he looks fab! Lost two … Hubby been doing this 5:2 for a few months and he looks fab! Lost two stone, geeks great and if you read all the official info about this type if dieting it says it can help prevent lots of health issues! I want to do it desperately but I have absolutely ZERO willpower!Would be nice if someone could actually tell me how they motivate themselves those two fasting days? Also make sure your fasting days are not consecutive as that is not the right way if doing it!

'Looks' great that should say

bo19991

Atkins and exercise down to 15st from 19.11st X)

I'm on Atkins too......definitely works! Never hungry at all, what other diet can you have plenty of butter,cream and meat on eh?
    40lbs lost in 22 weeks so far for me, Welldone on yours!

Caloric deficit = lose weight
    Caloric surplus = gain weight

That plus moderation obviously (don't eat your days worth of calories in doughnut form)

It's really that simple.

Rubisco

Erm... if anything that's the wrong way around! You need energy before … Erm... if anything that's the wrong way around! You need energy before the gym and recovery afterwards. Not the best time to go starving yourself.

This is a myth, why feed your body before and afterwards just to burn what you've eaten?? (mainly carbs I'm guessing too) better to have 3 meals a day and work your training round them,reduce refined carbs and sugar and then your body will burn fat stores instead!

the 5:2 is alleged to have other health benefits.

And for the people saying about your body going into starvation mode, that requires at least 3 days of 0 cals. The human body can survive up to 60 days with no food. the 5:2 is a pretty good diet, with alot of medical research to back it up.

Maybe just eat a little bit less, move a little bit more, drink water.

Much more sustainable than faddy diets

bunny_boiler

This is a myth, why feed your body before and afterwards just to burn … This is a myth, why feed your body before and afterwards just to burn what you've eaten?? (mainly carbs I'm guessing too) better to have 3 meals a day and work your training round them,reduce refined carbs and sugar and then your body will burn fat stores instead!

who says its just to burn what you have eaten? you need the energy to work the body hard enough to break the muscle fibres then the building blocks to repair them again
    in repairing them you burn energy and grow muscle, this new muscle also burns more energy
    cals before+ cals after could be less than the cals burnt+repair + metabolic boost anyway so still could be a deficit

if you are doing some standard cardio then its not breaking them up the same so wont matter so much

brilly

who says its just to burn what you have eaten? you need the energy to … who says its just to burn what you have eaten? you need the energy to work the body hard enough to break the muscle fibres then the building blocks to repair them againin repairing them you burn energy and grow muscle, this new muscle also burns more energycals before+ cals after could be less than the cals burnt+repair + metabolic boost anyway so still could be a deficitif you are doing some standard cardio then its not breaking them up the same so wont matter so much

The energy you need for serious training/weights should be a protein energy source only, to help with the muscle repair
    Aerobic,cardio for fat burning,fitness goal does not need extra energy to burn at all, total myth and there are so many people out there chomping down pasta,sandwiches and the like before any form of training/exercise for a "boost". Eat correctly in the first place and they wouldn't need the "boost"
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. PRINGLES SPEAKER CODES22
      2. Best Samsung mid-range mobile phone?11
      3. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!99
      4. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1113

See more discussions