Groups

52Mbps Internet..Thunderbolt/USB 2.0 to Ethernet?

I have a NUC that doesn't have Ethernet port. Get awful speed through wifi. No USB 3.0 ports.

I have a 52Mbps line. The nuc has thunderbolt n USB 2.0.

Which should I get USB 2.0 to Ethernet or thunderbolt to Ethernet ?

6 Comments

USB 2.0 = 480 Mbit/s
    Thunderbolt = 10 Gbit/s × 2 (2 channels)
    Thunderbolt 2 = 20 Gbit/s
    Thunderbolt 3 = 40 Gbit/s

A USB 2.0 NIC will only be 10/100 but as you only have 52Mbps broadband a 100Mb NIC won't be an issue so I'd go with the USB option, likely to be a lot cheaper than a thunderbolt one as well.

Then again If you plan to transfer data between other machines on your LAN and they do have gigabit NIC's the thunderbolt NIC would give you gigabit LAN speeds...

All depends on what you plan to use it for really...
    Edited by: "Uridium" 9th Apr

getmeone

USB 2.0 = 480 Mbit/sThunderbolt = 10 Gbit/s × 2 (2 channels)Thunderbolt 2 … USB 2.0 = 480 Mbit/sThunderbolt = 10 Gbit/s × 2 (2 channels)Thunderbolt 2 = 20 Gbit/sThunderbolt 3 = 40 Gbit/s

Those are the signalling rates, not the data rate. Actual transfer speeds for useful data can be much less. USB typically maxes out at half that.

That's still 200-240Mbps data transfer though, so plenty for a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet connection for a 52Mbps internet connection.

The other option would be to stick a wireless access point on the end of the ethernet connection instead of plugging it into your computer. That would give you excellent wireless connection to your NUC and also boost the speeds of any other wi-fi devices much closer to that than to your router.

Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback. I shall be going with the USB 2.0 to ethernet. Will try that out

@imagineS One suggestion. Get a USB-> ethernet adapter that also works as a USB hub. Usually you can find ones that have 1 ethernet + 3 usb 3.0 ports.

Why? Just for future proofing, as the price is just a bit higher.

Original Poster

eldaras

@imagineS One suggestion. Get a USB- ethernet adapter that also works as … @imagineS One suggestion. Get a USB-> ethernet adapter that also works as a USB hub. Usually you can find ones that have 1 ethernet + 3 usb 3.0 ports. Why? Just for future proofing, as the price is just a bit higher.

Thanks found one on amazon. Anker. Going for that
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7191353
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2974
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1629
      4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow55

See more discussions