55 inch TV recommendations

Posted 1st Jan
Can people share their thoughts on a 55 inch TV to get? I’ve currently got a 10 year old 42 inch with large bezels; measuring up and I could fit a 55 in its place if I change my amp for a sound bar too.

I’m not sure it’s worth going from the c. £500 Samsung’s / Sony’s to the c. £800 Samsung QLEDs either? I’ll be using it at the moment for Netflix / Virgin and occasional Xbox One. Thoughts welcome, thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Whatever you choose get one with a long warranty , john lewis , richer sounds , costco etc .
We got a new LG UM7400 4K and are pleased with it . You will notice a big improvement in picture quality over your 10 year old set.Watch out for the stands on new TVs , the ones with the short legs on the ends require a large cabinet .
richersounds.com/tv-…tml
Edited by: "yorkie12" 1st Jan
Narrow your list of options based on your budget and required specs. Research ie youtube reviews, AV forums etc which could help your decision making. There are pros and cons for almost all models, much like choosing between Apple and Android.

The extra you will pay for premium ranges is based on if you think it’s worth it and if you’re a techie. Majority would not care for such “improved” specs. Go for what suits you. I went for Samsung NU8000 last year instead of next level up in the QLED range, as cant justify extra £300 for minor bells n whistles just for the entry level QLED model. So far so good.
Edited by: "jordanleno" 1st Jan
I have a Toshiba from Tesco £329 brilliant display, easy interface and good sound quality
Everyone seems to have a different idea of a good picture.

A lot of people say their budget tv is really good, but not when I've seen the picture, yesterday I asked my mate if he had HD and he said yes - and when I actually checked, it was actually already on the HD channel, just that the picture was so bad I thought it was SD.

Try and go for the Nano Samsung(Quantum dot) or OLED LG's if you can afford it.
Thanks for the comments guys - I’m looking at the Q60 and Q70 Samsung I think. Is the Q70 worth £75 over the Q60? I’m slightly concerned over the “poor viewing angles” the reviews say for both, not something I’ve ever thought about before?
If you can budget a QLED then maybe go to John Lewis or wherever to see if you can see the difference side by side with a standard LED. I also couldn't justify the extra last year so got the Samsung NU8000 and have been very happy with it .. apart from the fact that the RU models came out a year later and are a fair bit cheaper, so whatever you decide stop looking for deals as soon as you buy something :-)
licenced02/01/2020 16:08

If you can budget a QLED then maybe go to John Lewis or wherever to see if …If you can budget a QLED then maybe go to John Lewis or wherever to see if you can see the difference side by side with a standard LED. I also couldn't justify the extra last year so got the Samsung NU8000 and have been very happy with it .. apart from the fact that the RU models came out a year later and are a fair bit cheaper, so whatever you decide stop looking for deals as soon as you buy something :-)

Samsung has actually stores aswel to look at tellys I know there is one in Liverpool and Manchester so maybe worth a gander
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions