55" TV is too big for our front room

Found 13th Dec 2017
I purchased a 55" inch tv yesterday and connected it up, and I watched a few hours of it. Should've gone for a 50" really, but my question is what is my rights sending it back and getting a smaller TV? I bought it from PC World
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I agree with what others have said, I'd stick with it, went from 40" to a 55" TV earlier this year, thought it was massive when it arrived but after a couple of weeks I was thinking I could have probably squeezed in something bigger!
Skaman34 m ago

I agree with what others have said, I'd stick with it, went from 40" to a …I agree with what others have said, I'd stick with it, went from 40" to a 55" TV earlier this year, thought it was massive when it arrived but after a couple of weeks I was thinking I could have probably squeezed in something bigger!

Wife/girlfriend probably thinks the same.
26 Comments
I'd wait a while to get used to it as 55" is about the right size for a TV now.
kester7619 m ago

I'd wait a while to get used to it as 55" is about the right size for a TV …I'd wait a while to get used to it as 55" is about the right size for a TV now.

... because everyone’s rooms have grown???
What you mean is that they’ve become the ‘norm’ - it doesn’t mean it’s right though! With a tv that big I can imagine the picture looks horrendous if you’re not far enough away when anything less than 4K is sourced.
Is it too big to fit or do you just think it looks too big? Trust me you'll get used to it if it's the second one.
buttonpushervic8 m ago

... because everyone’s rooms have grown???What you mean is that they’ve bec …... because everyone’s rooms have grown???What you mean is that they’ve become the ‘norm’ - it doesn’t mean it’s right though! With a tv that big I can imagine the picture looks horrendous if you’re not far enough away when anything less than 4K is sourced.

1080p will be fine as it's a simple scale. Just need to set the TV up properly.
I think you can return it if you only got it yesterday.

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

Seems like they still accept returns on opened goods, but you have to tell them soon. If you don’t want to click the link, just google “Currys return policy”
Excellent thanks for your replies, that's the great thing about this site always willing to help!
Unfortunately, there is always the small print.
"An unwanted product can be returned for a full refund within 21 days of delivery as long as it’s still in its original, unopened packaging. This returns policy for unopened goods is in addition to your statutory rights and applies to purchases made in store, online or over the phone."
kester762 h, 1 m ago

I'd wait a while to get used to it as 55" is about the right size for a TV …I'd wait a while to get used to it as 55" is about the right size for a TV now.

that’s the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. 2017 year of the 55” tv, I wonder what next year will bring?

did you buy it online or in store. I’d box it back up the best you can and return it don’t say it was on or out the box.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 13th Dec 2017
I agree with what others have said, I'd stick with it, went from 40" to a 55" TV earlier this year, thought it was massive when it arrived but after a couple of weeks I was thinking I could have probably squeezed in something bigger!
Dannyrobbo30 m ago

that’s the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. 2017 y … that’s the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. 2017 year of the 55” tv, I wonder what next year will bring?did you buy it online or in store. I’d box it back up the best you can and return it don’t say it was on or out the box.

2018 will return to 19 inch as the right size.
Just ask them. They might be willing to offer something if they know they are going to still make a sale on a 50"
Its PC World, I would imagine you are **** out of luck!
Skaman34 m ago

I agree with what others have said, I'd stick with it, went from 40" to a …I agree with what others have said, I'd stick with it, went from 40" to a 55" TV earlier this year, thought it was massive when it arrived but after a couple of weeks I was thinking I could have probably squeezed in something bigger!

I think I'll try and box it up, and send it back in store. And make out that it was never turned on!
Skaman55 m ago

i swapped a 37 to a 55 and thought when i got it, man i wish it was bigger
Beebee1828 m ago

Both
I recently swopped my 58" Samsung with a 50" Panasonic from my bedroom, I soon changed my mind as it made the Panasonic look a lot smaller, as long as you are happy with the image quality then soon enough the TV will not look as big.
kester764 h, 27 m ago

Its all to do with the distance your tv is from where you sit See here
Bingstroller3 h, 10 m ago

Unfortunately, there is always the small print."An unwanted product can be …Unfortunately, there is always the small print."An unwanted product can be returned for a full refund within 21 days of delivery as long as it’s still in its original, unopened packaging. This returns policy for unopened goods is in addition to your statutory rights and applies to purchases made in store, online or over the phone."

“Separately to the 21 day policy above, and in accordance with your rights when you purchase goods online or over the phone, unwanted items can be returned even if you have opened them for inspection as long as you let us know within 14 calendar days from the day after delivery. Once you have told us you want to return an item, you should do so without undue delay and not later than 14 days from the day on which you informed us of your decision to cancel the order. You can examine the goods as you would in a shop but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software. The goods must be returned in ‘as new’ condition and in their original packaging.”

There are loads of Ts&Cs, @Donzy12 I’d definitely recommend reading through that, and then probably trying your best with return. Good luck!
An extra 5” isnt significant enough to go through all the hassle of trying to get an exchange. As othrs have said, you will get used to it.
I think you'll get used to it as others have said, however, if you need a reason to return, don't mention size, just say the operating system is too slow and clunky; most smart TV's suffer this problem and is a reasonable complaint.
Dannyrobbo4 h, 34 m ago

that’s the most ridiculous comment I have ever read.

Why? The appropriate size can change.

For example imagine a note has been found in a detective drama. When small TVs are common it's likely to be shown taking up a good proportion of the screen so the viewers can read it. With big TVs it can be smaller and still readable so the character's reactions to it can be shown alongside.

If you did a study of TV programs over the last seventy years I'd imagine you'd find important details have gotten smaller on average over time.
EndlessWaves29 m ago

Why? The appropriate size can change.For example imagine a note has been …Why? The appropriate size can change.For example imagine a note has been found in a detective drama. When small TVs are common it's likely to be shown taking up a good proportion of the screen so the viewers can read it. With big TVs it can be smaller and still readable so the character's reactions to it can be shown alongside.If you did a study of TV programs over the last seventy years I'd imagine you'd find important details have gotten smaller on average over time.

Re-read your comment, then read the the OP’s post again including the title.

Guy buys a tv, brings it home and sets it up. Realised it’s to big for his room then asks about a return.

He is then told that the tv he has bought and set up in his own home (remember he knows how big his room is) is actually the correct size because “55 inch is the right size for a tv now”.

then tell me again about the appropriate size changing in relation to the size of his room, dimensions of which you don’t know?
Dannyrobbo37 m ago

tell me again about the appropriate size changing in relation to the size …tell me again about the appropriate size changing in relation to the size of his room, dimensions of which you don’t know?

It may be doesn't physically fit in the room and blocks part of the window or something, but in many cases this is just the initial negative reaction to change. It's bigger than felt was an appropriate size for a TV, therefore it's a bad thing.

In those cases then the opinion of what is an appropriate size can change, several people in this thread have posted that theirs did.
EndlessWaves1 h, 21 m ago

It may be doesn't physically fit in the room and blocks part of the window …It may be doesn't physically fit in the room and blocks part of the window or something, but in many cases this is just the initial negative reaction to change. It's bigger than felt was an appropriate size for a TV, therefore it's a bad thing.In those cases then the opinion of what is an appropriate size can change, several people in this thread have posted that theirs did.

Which is why I said what a ridiculous comment it was, it’s all opinion and you can’t really tell somebody, well that’s the correct size now. You are just speculating no let the OP decide if it’s the right size.
I bought a 58” for my room and thought it just looked silly but after watching 4K content and playing the Xbox One X I certainly won’t be going back to a smaller TV. The enjoyment is definitely worth it.

My 58” was initially set up in my parents front room and they said it was too big but when it was taken and they went back to their 50” they said they missed the extra size.

Going back to your original question, I don’t think you’ll have much luck. If it was John Lewis or Amazon you might have been ok. Never know until you ask though!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions