5G broadband / Need range extender recommendations?

Posted 12th Mar
I have 5g broadband at home.

It’s with three, comes with a 5g beastly router.

I don’t get a good signal in the kitchen as the walls are rock solid, bit far from my room

I got one range extender recently it’s junk, does nothing, always breaks off the connection

Anyone know w decent range extender ? I don’t need crazy speeds just something reliable for normal internet use.

If anyone has the 5g huawei router & has an extender that works please let me know

I can use eBay or amazon for a quick buy

Cheers

Rob
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Re-locating the router within the property may be successful & cost-free.
Have you placed your current extender in the correct position? It needs to go roughtly mid-way between the router and the dead zone. Putting it in the dead zone won't do anything.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 13th Mar
Buy a Tenda Router ( AC8 or AC23 are the best , eBay £25-£34) and use in Wifi repeater mode. I have now got the latest AC23 and it gets signal into the far corners of our house , even into the upstairs of the extension where it has to get through the original outside wall.
AC8 Dual Band Gigabit Router AC1200 4 6dBi Antenna Wireless WiFi Repeater -ebay.co.uk/itm…872
Tenda AC23 2.4GHz+5GHz AC2100M Wireless WiFi Router Repeater w/7 x 6dBi Antennas - ebay.co.uk/itm…Bfv
Can you get rid of the 5g broadband? ( was there a reason why you got it, are you well into contract?). House maybe better suited to traditional with a mesh network like the tenda mentioned above. Would imagine it would be cheaper and better suited.
Would powerline adapters not work? If they're on the same ring main they should.
Like this
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 13th Mar
Ringfinger13/03/2020 08:22

Would powerline adapters not work? If they're on the same ring main they …Would powerline adapters not work? If they're on the same ring main they should.

I believe its 5g cellular not 5ghz wifi they are talking about
colinged13/03/2020 08:27

Yes, doesn't matter. Connect the first adapter to the 5g router, as input. Put receiving adapter in dead room. Then connect to that via wifi. Simples.
Ringfinger13/03/2020 08:32

Yes, doesn't matter. Connect the first adapter to the 5g router, as …Yes, doesn't matter. Connect the first adapter to the 5g router, as input. Put receiving adapter in dead room. Then connect to that via wifi. Simples.

Learn something new every day, problem solved!
colinged13/03/2020 08:35

Learn something new every day, problem solved!

Or connect via wired connection, depending in set up of receiving equipment , choice is there either way.
colinged13/03/2020 08:27

Yes correct
BigStart13/03/2020 16:01

Yes correct

Point is you don't want or need to extend the 5g signal, you need to extend the wifi signal. That's what the adapters do, by using the house electrics as a conduit between one terminal and the other.
Ringfinger13/03/2020 16:16

Point is you don't want or need to extend the 5g signal, you need to …Point is you don't want or need to extend the 5g signal, you need to extend the wifi signal. That's what the adapters do, by using the house electrics as a conduit between one terminal and the other.

Exactly, the fact that the [internet] part of the equation is 5g is irrelevant. It's the wifi on the router that sucks, so extending that signal is what you want, preferably via ethernet to an access point, but homeplugs work just as well if ethernet isn't an option.
paddy.stone13/03/2020 16:26

Exactly, the fact that the [internet] part of the equation is 5g is …Exactly, the fact that the [internet] part of the equation is 5g is irrelevant. It's the wifi on the router that sucks, so extending that signal is what you want, preferably via ethernet to an access point, but homeplugs work just as well if ethernet isn't an option.

It’s a very good router, we just have thick solid walls. It’s an old building, they are so thick so it’s soundproof, the router sits by the window in my room as I have my hue lights hub connected to it & all my smart stuff in room connected.

I need to move it our get a better extender, I reset the extender again today

It works perfectly for 15 mins then stops working for 5 mins
This is the router that comes with the contract. It’s only for 12 months so actually works out cheaper than buying one considering it’s unlimited data with no speedcaps
40104337-TUKjU.jpg

Speed Test now , works fine all over the house apart from kitchen get nothing
BigStart14/03/2020 13:45

[Image] Speed Test now , works fine all over the house apart from kitchen …[Image] Speed Test now , works fine all over the house apart from kitchen get nothing

Strange that you have Three but the picture shows Voda?
As for no signal a pair of powerline adapters would sort that.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 14th Mar
Ringfinger14/03/2020 19:08

Strange that you have Three but the picture shows Voda?As for no signal a …Strange that you have Three but the picture shows Voda?As for no signal a pair of powerline adapters would sort that.

That’s a speed test on my mobile,
I’m connected to home wifi
Ringfinger14/03/2020 19:08

Strange that you have Three but the picture shows Voda?As for no signal a …Strange that you have Three but the picture shows Voda?As for no signal a pair of powerline adapters would sort that.

Does that work with a 5g router ?

This is not wired connection, it’s a router with a 5g sim in it
BigStart15/03/2020 16:45

Does that work with a 5g router ?This is not wired connection, it’s a r …Does that work with a 5g router ?This is not wired connection, it’s a router with a 5g sim in it

Yes. Plug your powerline adapter into one of the lan sockets on the back, then plug the receiving unit in, in the room you want the signal. You then have the choice of using wifi to connect (if you get adapters with wifi capabilities) or using a wired connection.
These are the sockets you need to use.

40120230-YrgSv.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants