Groups

5Ghz connection question

I separated the 2 and 5 Ghz on my BT router so that one of my laptops could have a stable connection through 5Ghz. I gave the 5 a new name and unsynced it from the 2. Though this seemed to work in favour of the laptop, my overall internet speed drops to 2.5 Mbps instead of the usual 16+ on both signals. On resetting the signals to default it bounces back to 16. Am I supposed to do anything else besides the above?

11 Comments

Throw bt in the bin and get virgin so you have 200mb 5ghz and 80-100 2ghz

There's always a better option, @dalecool92.

how far away from the router are you? 5ghz should have faster overall throughput but lower signal reach

Get another router/modem, had no end of problems with the BT smart hub, had a BT engineer out in the finish and couldnt fix the problems. Got a netgear nighthawk and since then (touch wood) have had no problems with speeds or connection dropping.

Original Poster

japes

how far away from the router are you? 5ghz should have faster overall … how far away from the router are you? 5ghz should have faster overall throughput but lower signal reach

10 metres from router. I'm more concerned that my overall Internet speed drops drastically when separating the signals. I am probably doing something wrong, but cannot figure out what.

I am confused, are you talking the INTERNET speeds drop, or the WIFI connection speeds??

Next question, which BT router, and are you on ADSL or VDSL?

First answer (to either), is get a better router, the BT gear isnt that good, nor is it reliable.

TPLink is the best value, I rate it better than anything else I have used (or had to use at work); below the "Pro-sumer" level prices.
    ADSL routers start at under £20 and VDSL at about £40 - most of their VDSL also do ADSL, so if you still have ADSL, but are thinking about VDSL, they are a good bet.

Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 18th Jan

Are you able to select what channel to run each wireless signal, if so, try changing them from the default values if you haven't already. Could be inferences from other devices or routers

5 GHz is the fastest but range is limited
    2.4 GHz is slower but has a longer range

On my HH i've splt the bands and changed the wi-fi mode from 1 to 2, works perfectly.

Quick question, what laptop you using? I couldn't find one that supported 5g they were all 2g, only option for me was to buy a 5g USB dongle.

Original Poster

Toon_army

Quick question, what laptop you using? I couldn't find one that supported … Quick question, what laptop you using? I couldn't find one that supported 5g they were all 2g, only option for me was to buy a 5g USB dongle.

I have a MacBook Air. It supports 2.4ghz, but seems to prefer 5ghz for some reason.

Original Poster

GlesgaNed

Are you able to select what channel to run each wireless signal, if so, … Are you able to select what channel to run each wireless signal, if so, try changing them from the default values if you haven't already. Could be inferences from other devices or routers

Thanks. You are correct. I bought a Brother Laser wireless printer a few weeks ago, and it seems this was interfering with the signals. I switched it off and everything was perfect Internet-wise. I have a Canon inkjet wifi printer (which doesn't interfere). Looks like I'll have to just use the Brother on as a photocopier or turn it on as and when I need it. Thanks again. Problem solved.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions