5Ghz Wifi receiver

Found 14th Feb
Can anyone tell me the name of what I need to achieve the following please?
We are in the process of having a 5Ghz antenna fitted at our premises, which I am told will send out a Wifi signal, approximately 1 mile from the antenna. From that distance, we need to be able to receive the signal, inside a vehicle. I'm happy to install an antenna on the outside of the vehicle if necessary but what equipment do I require in order to receive that original Wifi signal inside the cab and redistribute it, perhaps at a different frequency - 2.4Ghz?
I was advised I could connect it to a PC but I'm think more along the lines of ensuring the signal can be received by a tablet or phone. Doesn't most modern equipment work on the 5Ghz frequency anyway?
Many Thanks,

Mark
Community Updates
AskElectronics
5 Comments
The receiving part is called a wireless bridge or as you also want to 'repeat' the signal wirelessly at the remote location as well a wireless repeater.

For reasons of signal stability and speed wireless repeaters are best avoided and instead you should connect a wireless bridge and a wireless access point to each other. The wireless bridge is for establishing the link to the office and the wireless access point to create a local WiFi network in your vehicle.

The WiFi antenna at your office would have to be high up on a mast, so it is not obstructed by trees/roof tops, and over such a distance would likely be directional (e.g. send the signal on a 'narrow' beam to the south only) unless they install multiple antennas.

You should discuss what to buy for the vehicle with the people who install the equipment at the office, to ensure compatibility and to make sure the new setup does in fact accomplish what you need it to do.

May be give Broadbandbuyer a call, they will give you expert advice on commercial grade WiFi equipment.

Would it not make more sense to get a 4G mobile hotspot for the vehicle and then create a VPN link to the office?
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 15th Feb
The higher the frequency the worse the range. 2.4ghz would be better at that distance though anything will need to be directional, no chance you'd cover a moving vehicle, it would need to be stationary with the transmitter aimed at it.
I mile range Omni Directional then pick up on a moving vehicle also with an Omni aerial, no chance either 5 or 2.4.

at that distance your looking at point to point with directional antennas either end.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info.
I shall have to ask a few more questions to ensure it does the job. Based on your answers, that may not be possible.

Thanks
mark11111 h, 17 m ago

Thanks for all the info. I shall have to ask a few more questions to …Thanks for all the info. I shall have to ask a few more questions to ensure it does the job. Based on your answers, that may not be possible.Thanks

I think it's possible but you would probably need line of sight.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants