5p charge for carrier bags & fast food outlets

Found 2nd Oct 2011
popped into burger king ( against my better judgement) ordered our food, and a kids meal , told the young lady serving us we were staying inside to eat, then she says oh ok but theres 5p charge for the bags, i said i didnt want the bags as we were eating in, then she said the same about the kids meal, again i repeat myself,
so she brings the food over and with the kids meal they are giving a tiny paper carrier bag with pencils in! she only went and charged me for that!

One women in my local Lego shop had a right strop with the staff when they asked her did she want to pay for the bag, she wasn't local , started shouting that she didnt have to pay because she's from England! lol, after standing there and arguing for over 20 minutes she paid for her toys and took them one at a time back to her car! with the poor cashier standing at the till with this woman's shopping waiting for her to come back and get it!
the manager even offered to carry it all for her, she refused, i did feel sorry for the cashier

how is it going to work with fast food places??
Community Updates
MiscBagFood
60 Comments

a tiny paper carrier bag with pencils in! she only went and charged me … a tiny paper carrier bag with pencils in! she only went and charged me for that!

I thought the point of charging for bags was because they're bad for the environment O_O
Banned
It's probably cost you another 5p in electricity publishing this on the net.

It's 5p - get over it.
i dont know but i hate the boxes in mcds on kids meals..in other countries they use bags..got to be better?
Original Poster
the little tiny paper carrier bag was the freebie toy with the kids meal, i dont mind paying for the bags if im taking out, but its a free toy after all lol/
I just wondered how other places are going to offer take outs ? like Macdonalds , KFC ?
vinylandtrinkets

the little tiny paper carrier bag was the freebie toy with the kids meal, … the little tiny paper carrier bag was the freebie toy with the kids meal, i dont mind paying for the bags if im taking out, but its a free toy after all lol/I just wondered how other places are going to offer take outs ? like Macdonalds , KFC ?

hahaha maybe bring your own for points? or like they used to sell ice cream ? take your own bowl lol
Who gives a f.......k about land fill site anyways??????
I expect the retailer will put up their prices to cover the cost of the bag and carry on as normal.
timtom13

Our great great great grandchildren will.
KillFelix

It's probably cost you another 5p in electricity publishing this on the … It's probably cost you another 5p in electricity publishing this on the net.It's 5p - get over it.

Oh dear, what a moby.
Its a pain in the backside I will be honest.
They aint free to make so i understand why places charge shops ect not fast food resturants tho lol not sure how they would work that one
I always use my carrier bags as bin liners that way I don't need to buy bin liners.Do others buy bin liners? Then bin liners go to landfill.
So now I suppose I will have to buy bin liners so there will be the same amount of plastic bags coming out of our house....so it won't help the environment unfortunately.
Where do they have to charge 5p for bags? Everywhere?
Original Poster
just here in Wales as far as i know, I always buy/use the bag for life bags, so its not a problem for me, just a pain having to carry loads of bags where ever you go!
give it a few weeks and the shops will be complaining about shop lifting because people are carrying so many empty bags.
as for fast food no idea how they are going to do it
Original Poster
plumberman01

hahaha maybe bring your own for points? or like they used to sell ice … hahaha maybe bring your own for points? or like they used to sell ice cream ? take your own bowl lol

LOL
I think charging 5p per bag is another way the big companies want to make money out of us. Why not pay us 5p for every bag we reuse? Then everyone will bring a bag !!.....:)
They have introduced this in Wales. The charge for the carrier bags will be going to charity not to the retailers. McD's will charge for the paper bags but not for the box that the kids meals come in. These are exempt.

BBC News
Jes burgerking is way over priced already and now they charge for a little crappy bag what next. A chair fee.
Banned
jcaho7

I think charging 5p per bag is another way the big companies want to make … I think charging 5p per bag is another way the big companies want to make money out of us. Why not pay us 5p for every bag we reuse? Then everyone will bring a bag !!.....:)

Except they have been forced to, its not a choice. Not charging can cost them £5000.

I think this will affect small businesses who rely on impulse purchases if it's brought in everywhere. I quite often pop into shops on my way home from work and pick up bits and bobs, I'm not carrying a bag for life round with me all day every day and I'm not going to pay 5p for every carrier bag I use, so the supermarket will get that money rather than the smallers shops I'm afraid. I hope it doesn't get brought in round here.
Jesus guys, it's 5p!!
they started here, but now they have stopped with this stupid carrier bag charging malarky.

I would have took the stuff out the bag and told them to keep it. If mcdonalds start charging for paper bags I'll be kicking off. I remember when asda decided to start charging for bags and everyone either refused or left their shopping, it lasted about a week before they gave up. I don't mind the charge but it's the being forced to do it. I think I'll get some custom made plastic bags saying "I hate tesco" or "asda are cheaper" and shop in tesco just to have some fun.
skellysgirl

I would have took the stuff out the bag and told them to keep it. If … I would have took the stuff out the bag and told them to keep it. If mcdonalds start charging for paper bags I'll be kicking off. I remember when asda decided to start charging for bags and everyone either refused or left their shopping, it lasted about a week before they gave up. I don't mind the charge but it's the being forced to do it. I think I'll get some custom made plastic bags saying "I hate tesco" or "asda are cheaper" and shop in tesco just to have some fun.

+1

no way am i going to pay for a paper bag from mcdonalds
I remember the time Asda tried to charge me for a bag at the checkout said they had no plastic bags any more so i would have to buy a bag for life. Told them i wasn't paying and walked out of the shop. The stupid thing was if you went through the self service checkouts you could still have free plastic bags. They soon stopped it though probably by raising the prices of some items to cover the costs.
Another example of the Greenies influencing idiots in power. If they are prepared to pay a 200K subsidy on every big wind turbine that only actually produces 17% of the initial claimed amount of power then taxing your ass 5p for a wee bag ain't gonna bother them.

Stop listening to the Greenies. Lookout the pros and cons of their proposals before deciding.
dcx_badass

Lol at the poor people crying over 5p in their budget shops.BRB happily … Lol at the poor people crying over 5p in their budget shops.BRB happily paying 5p a bag in M&S and not been poor.

M&S bags are decent, not thin crap that snaps after one use anyway.
A charge for paper bags in fast food places is ridiculous, do they expect you to carry chips in your hands or bring in your own plastic carrier bag to put them in oO
Dehumanization

M&S bags are decent, not thin crap that snaps after one use anyway.A … M&S bags are decent, not thin crap that snaps after one use anyway.A charge for paper bags in fast food places is ridiculous, do they expect you to carry chips in your hands or bring in your own plastic carrier bag to put them in oO

That's just being silly now!! It's the big brown bag that they are charging for.

Can I just remind you that the money is going to charity not to the retailers themselves.
Okay don't think I've ever had a big brown bag from a fast food place tbh, sorry.

Remind away, I'm not complaining, I reuse bags.
apesvc3

I always use my carrier bags as bin liners that way I don't need to buy … I always use my carrier bags as bin liners that way I don't need to buy bin liners.Do others buy bin liners? Then bin liners go to landfill.So now I suppose I will have to buy bin liners so there will be the same amount of plastic bags coming out of our house....so it won't help the environment unfortunately.

and me. My granny used to wrap her rubbish in newspaper, but we don't buy them either. I mostly use bags for life but like to get a few plastic ones for the rubbish, or else liberate some from the recycle box inside Tesco foyer. The Tesco bags disintegrate to dandruff, so is it the oil used in making them that's the issue, balance of payments deficit etc?
The bag in BK probably has more nutritional content than the food that they dish up.
Banned
5p going to charity would actually encourage me to get a bag I don't need.
Banned
plumberman01

i dont know but i hate the boxes in mcds on kids meals..in other … i dont know but i hate the boxes in mcds on kids meals..in other countries they use bags..got to be better?

mcds are the worst

you order a breakfast and it comes with a thick polystyrene lid which gets taken off and binned within a few seconds. Beats me why they put a lid on the food when you elect to eat in.

Maybe to disguise how bad the brekkie acutally looks.
Banned
timtom13

people with a brain perhaps
Banned
jcaho7

I think charging 5p per bag is another way the big companies want to make … I think charging 5p per bag is another way the big companies want to make money out of us. Why not pay us 5p for every bag we reuse? Then everyone will bring a bag !!.....:)

tescos give you clubcard points for every bag you dont use when you take your own along
I can understand the goverment making shops charge 5p for a plastic bag to reduce the amount given out as they can be reused and they can take 1000 years to degrade.

To charge for a paper bag which takes about 6 months to degrade and really only has a 1 time use is just ridiculous. Surely burger king don't expect you to take back a greasy used brown bag?? Course they don't and nor do the government they are just jumping on it to increase profits.

Banned
csiman

people with a brain perhaps

You should watch the Penn and Teller BS episode on recycling
Banned
KillFelix

You should watch the Penn and Teller BS episode on recycling

I'm no recycling nut but local councils pay a fortune for landfill and EU fines for not hitting targets.

yet another reason to get out the EU asap
lol The amount of people I had to deal with on Saturday who must of been walking around for the past 2-3 months with their eyes closed.

It was mainly Men who were rude to me. for some reason they seem to think its just ME who is charging, That its MY fault we are charging for a bag. A wife of this guy having a go told him to go and whinge to customer service, not me.

The amount of people who used their own bags on saturday was more than double what we usually see, so it must be working.

I think its shocking they charged you for the packaging of the free toy though lol But then again half the people working in BK have no clue at all
dcx_badass

Lol at the poor people crying over 5p in their budget shops.BRB happily … Lol at the poor people crying over 5p in their budget shops.BRB happily paying 5p a bag in M&S and not been poor.

Thought you shopped in Byker Morrisons dcx ... can't get poorer than mixing it with that lot ;-)
Edited by: "TUSSFC" 3rd Oct 2011
Unbelievable_Jeff

Jesus guys, it's 5p!!

I think the principality of this arguement is simple it may just be 5p but its yet again another stealth tax.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants