6-month MOT exemptions will be ending on 1st August 2020.

Posted 29th Jun 2020
Today, 29 June, the Department for Transport announced that the 6-month MOT exemption for cars, vans and motorcycles introduced during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, will end on 1 August.

Why is the MOT exemption ending?

We know that many garages stayed open and drivers continued to get their vehicles tested despite the exemption.

As non-essential services start to re-open in line with government guidance, and more vehicles are back on the roads, having an up-to-date MOT will help to keep vehicles safe to drive.

Info from GOV.UK
Community Updates
Your MOT certificate will be extended by 6 months if it expires between 30 March 2020 and 31 July 2020
(From Gov.uk website)
Misc
22 Comments
Can't see anything on. gov yet, but I had an email about half hour ago as above.
Edited by: "richp" 29th Jun
richp29/06/2020 13:12

Can't see anything on gov. yet, but I had an email about half hour ago as …Can't see anything on gov. yet, but I had an email about half hour ago as above.

So if your car mot was extended for 6 months that is still valid?
I would assume it is still valid, think this is more for those due a mot test after 1st August
Thanks for the heads-up OP
fearona29/06/2020 13:14

So if your car mot was extended for 6 months that is still valid?

Yes it is.

Coronavirus: MOTs due from 30 March 2020
Your car, van or motorcycle’s MOT expiry date will be extended by 6 months if it’s due on or after 30 March 2020 - but you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.

AsI read it, If your MOT falls between 30th March and 1st Aug, you will have 6 months added to your MOT (unless you actually do decide to have an MOT in the interim and it fails).

This new notification is for vehicles needing an MOT on or after 1st August in which case no extension is due.
richp29/06/2020 13:12

Can't see anything on. gov yet, but I had an email about half hour ago as …Can't see anything on. gov yet, but I had an email about half hour ago as above.

Thanks for this - The info is on the GOV.UK site now, so popped in the description
Ken29/06/2020 16:26

Thanks for this - The info is on the GOV.UK site now, so popped in the …Thanks for this - The info is on the GOV.UK site now, so popped in the description

Cheers Ken
aventador129/06/2020 13:16

I would assume it is still valid, think this is more for those due a mot …I would assume it is still valid, think this is more for those due a mot test after 1st August

Yes, if your not runs out before 1st August then you're good for another 6 months.
This is good. Should have never been extended too many dangerous cars on road
Great, mine's due on 1st August and my lease car has been delayed until mid Sept. B****y Covid!
Familyguy198229/06/2020 18:05

Great, mine's due on 1st August and my lease car has been delayed until …Great, mine's due on 1st August and my lease car has been delayed until mid Sept. B****y Covid!

By time my car comes will have been waiting 4 months due to it all. Very annoying
RobHadiHadfield29/06/2020 18:07

By time my car comes will have been waiting 4 months due to it all. Very …By time my car comes will have been waiting 4 months due to it all. Very annoying

I've been waiting since Jan for mine!
I was so pleased to get mine done just at the beginning of the lockdown...now I feel cheated of 6 months
maccy1i29/06/2020 18:13

I was so pleased to get mine done just at the beginning of the …I was so pleased to get mine done just at the beginning of the lockdown...now I feel cheated of 6 months

well done maccy oh there will be people out there moaning that they missed out, its normally the ones that have bags of for cars & do anything to avoid having it mot'd.
richp29/06/2020 18:25

well done maccy oh there will be people out there moaning that … well done maccy oh there will be people out there moaning that they missed out, its normally the ones that have bags of for cars & do anything to avoid having it mot'd.

I'm very much a belt and braces sort of person rich, it would have disturbed me forever if I'd not got it done on time

I completely agree with that, imagine all the people that would have been cheering for the 6 months extension
Mine expires on 23rd July so I'm lucky it'll be getting an extension. I'll be giving my car a service soon on my mates ramps ( He's a tester ) so will give it the once over which I do frequently.

Remember folk, An MOT isn't a guarantee that your car is safe, Just that it met the required standard on the day of testing and testers are only human. Please check your tyres, lights and fluid levels frequently.
Fgs my car needs its first MOT on 4th August and I'm having spinal surgery in 2 weeks then can't drive for 6 weeks. Anyone know if Kia do a collect and drop back service for their service and MOT bookings?
Claire_Harris29/06/2020 21:23

Fgs my car needs its first MOT on 4th August and I'm having spinal surgery …Fgs my car needs its first MOT on 4th August and I'm having spinal surgery in 2 weeks then can't drive for 6 weeks. Anyone know if Kia do a collect and drop back service for their service and MOT bookings?

Oh what bad timing I've no idea on that but I'm sure if you explain the situation hopefully, they'll do their best to help.

I hope your spinal surgery goes well
maccy1i29/06/2020 21:59

Oh what bad timing I've no idea on that but I'm sure if you explain …Oh what bad timing I've no idea on that but I'm sure if you explain the situation hopefully, they'll do their best to help. I hope your spinal surgery goes well

Thank you. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do..I can't even take it in beforehand as I've got to isolate now for 2 weeks 😫
Claire_Harris29/06/2020 22:34

Thank you. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do..I …Thank you. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do..I can't even take it in beforehand as I've got to isolate now for 2 weeks 😫

It's definitely worth telling them all this, it's not your fault all this has happened around your MOT.

Good luck again and if you can, let us know how you get on (more importantly with your op )
Typical mine expires 1st Aug 2020, was hoping for the extension, so it's another thing I'm not entitle to
Post a comment
@
    Text