60w PD Charger?

Posted 3rd Mar
I need a PD plug to power a Power Bank which charges at 30w. I currently have a 5 port charger with 15w PD from Anker.
The Power Bank is the only device that I own currently that uses Power Delivery. I don't plan on buying any laptops etc in the future.
But instead of buying a 30w plug, I'd try and semi future proof myself, by getting a 60w plug.

The three plugs I'm considering are:
Choetech 61w at £24.99 (pre discount) amazon.co.uk/CHO…94W

RavPower 61w at £39.99 amazon.co.uk/RAV…BGL

Anker 60w at £44.99 (pre discount) amazon.co.uk/Ank…MJ2

I've used Choetech products before and they haven't burnt the house down.
The RavPower has been 50% cheaper, so I don't know whether to hold off until another price drop.
The Anker model, I'm not sure if that has been cheaper.

Also, I'm not sure if getting a 1 port 60w plug is just overkill and a 2/multi port 45w plug/charger would be the better option.
Obviously it's overkill at the moment.
Maybe amazon.co.uk/Ank…231
or
amazon.co.uk/Ank…8SM

I'm not in an urgent rush to buy one, so I can wait for any price drops.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
Maybe also do some research on high charge rate versus battery longevity. I suspect a low charge rate may have a beneficial impact on battery longevity compared to high charge rate. Just a thought.
AndyRoyd03/03/2020 20:08

Maybe also do some research on high charge rate versus battery longevity. …Maybe also do some research on high charge rate versus battery longevity. I suspect a low charge rate may have a beneficial impact on battery longevity compared to high charge rate. Just a thought.

Many thanks for the insight. I didn't realise that.
I was drawn in by the fast charging speeds. My previous Power Banks have all taken forever to recharge.
I guess I should be more patient
It's generally a fast charge as a percentage of total capacity that causes issues. Charge speed is often expressed as the C-rate where #C is the number of times the capacity in watt-hours you can charge the battery at in watts.

Lithium-ion has lots of variants, but 1C is considered a normal (non-fast) charge speed, so for a 10Wh phone that would mean 10W but for a 100Wh power bank it would mean 100W.

USB-PD is still in it's early days. As a point of comparison you can pick up a 600W desktop computer power supply for £40 that does the same job of converting mains power to multiple DC voltages, so capabilities are likely to increase substantially as production scales up over the coming years.

Size will still be a factor though due to heat dissipation, so the plug-mounted power supplies will probably top out at the same capacity as similarly sized laptop power bricks, maybe 100-120W.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 3rd Mar
EndlessWaves03/03/2020 21:24

It's generally a fast charge as a percentage of total capacity that causes …It's generally a fast charge as a percentage of total capacity that causes issues. Charge speed is often expressed as the C-rate where #C is the number of times the capacity in watt-hours you can charge the battery at in watts. Lithium-ion has lots of variants, but 1C is considered a normal (non-fast) charge speed, so for a 10Wh phone that would mean 10W but for a 100Wh power bank it would mean 100W. USB-PD is still in it's early days. As a point of comparison you can pick up a 600W desktop computer power supply for £40 that does the same job of converting mains power to multiple DC voltages, so capabilities are likely to increase substantially as production scales up over the coming years.Size will still be a factor though due to heat dissipation, so the plug-mounted power supplies will probably top out at the same capacity as similarly sized laptop power bricks, maybe 100-120W.

Thank you for the detailed feedback
I have an Inateck one (smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/…BH/) that has been fine for the 9 months I've owned it. It runs my laptop/tablet and charges my phone concurrently.
InetUID04/03/2020 07:36

I have an Inateck one (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ML399BH/) …I have an Inateck one (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ML399BH/) that has been fine for the 9 months I've owned it. It runs my laptop/tablet and charges my phone concurrently.

Thank you for the suggestion

For anyone else:
The word around the campfire is the RavPower plug mentioned above is supposed to be on sale on the 7th March at Amazon.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants