Expired

6gb RAM vs 8gb RAM - Is there a noticable difference?

Found 19th Apr 2014
I have decided on a desk top computer and was unsure whether to opt for 6gb or 8gb. I will be using it for photos, downloading, work etc but not gaming (apart from the odd candycrush!).

Could someone let me know if it is worth spending the extra for the 8gb or not? Thank you very much.

I was looking at:
pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml and
pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml

1. Ask
  2. RAM
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. RAM
10 Comments

depends on what type of photo editing you are dealing with and how large the images are.

I would go with: pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml

Just because the Intel Processors are better than AMD in my opinion. With 6gb that should be enough memory for you, if not you can always upgrade later on for like £50ish.

Original Poster

Thank you very much. Only family photos so nothing very much. I did prefer i5 from difference reviews I'd read but wasn't sure on if that was too much when it had it 8gb ram which I wasn't sure if I needed - will probably opt for the more expensive one with the i5! Thank you very much - Debs x

No problem.

Comparison between processors, i5 hammers the AMD A8 - cpu-world.com/ben…ext

It depends what Intel and AMD processors are being compared. From a price/performance perspective, AMD is better.

rikkif1990

It depends what Intel and AMD processors are being compared. From a … It depends what Intel and AMD processors are being compared. From a price/performance perspective, AMD is better.

If you look at the link above your post it compares them both - don't agree to be honest, for the extra £70 the Intel is better, more HDD space and better performing CPU.
Edited by: "mds1256" 19th Apr 2014

mds1256

If you look at the link above your post it compares them both - don't … If you look at the link above your post it compares them both - don't agree to be honest, for the extra £70 the Intel is better, more HDD space and better performing CPU.

Well obviously a more expensive Intel cpu will outperform an AMD processor. An A8 is cheaper than an i5. But yeah i agree overall it's worth the extra.
Edited by: "rikkif1990" 19th Apr 2014

rikkif1990

Well obviously a more expensive Intel cpu will outperform an AMD … Well obviously a more expensive Intel cpu will outperform an AMD processor. An A8 is cheaper than an i5.

then I am not quite sure where you were going with the quote:

rikkif1990

From a price/performance perspective, AMD is better.

mds1256

then I am not quite sure where you were going with the quote:

I'm trying to say that an AMD processor with the same performance as an Intel, would be cheaper and that AMD has an overall better price performance ratio, albeit mainly among lower spec cpu's. The.latest benchmarks show it.

go for 8gb gives u the headroom especially if u delve into video editing which would be the evolution from your photo stuff.
besides 2x 4gb sticks will work better in a pc than 3x 2gb sticks, or a mismatch 4gb and 2gb stick.

Have the prices changed since your OP? I'm seeing a £170 difference between an i5 8GB system and an A8 6GB system.
Both would be more than adequate for what you've quoted and not easy to justify £170 extra.
I'm sure you would be very happy with the i5, but £170 could go a long way on other things, eg a 1TB external drive for backup?
Post a comment
@
    Text