£7 for Tesco delivery slots, wow!

Posted 29th Apr
Just popped on to see if there were any Tesco home delivery slots and I was surprised about the fact they have raised prices up to £7. I've always known them to be between £2 - £5 tops. Are they sub contracting or just taking advantage?
For all those that say we are in a crisis and just take it on the chin please don't bother commenting, I just think this is a major pee take by Tesco's.

3452386-LfYT3.jpg
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Straycat196729/04/2020 15:11

Just curious to know why Tesco find it okay to charge £7 yet no other of …Just curious to know why Tesco find it okay to charge £7 yet no other of the big 5 charge this much... yes, I know they can do what they like, just don't think it's very ethical considering. Ethics? Supermarkets? yes, I know......

Would you be willing to spend half an hour in a supermarket doing someone's shopping then deliver it for £7? They are paying their staff more at the moment and even at £7, they will be making no profit from the online delivery compared to an instore shop. Choose a £2 slot and be grateful you can even get one if it upsets you that much
Supposedly they lose money on every online shop, was reported to be £5- £7 a few years ago, and is probably more now they're recruiting extra staff and doing more slots, so I'm not surprised if they've put it up:- thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml
Edited by: "melted" 29th Apr
You pay £7 for delivery, we wait in line for up to an hour and put ourselves at risk in store.

Seems fair.
Edited by: "McShane1" 29th Apr
41 Comments
Been like that for a while.
Take the £2 one obviously
Supply and demand
I'll sell you mine for £6
The big Supermarkets are making hay whilst the sun shines for them of course! Whilst still paying the bulk of their staff the minimum wage, with one or two exceptions, like Aldi and Lidl who have always paid a bit more above that, even before this lockdown. I'm sure the top executives are getting nice bonuses as their sales are going up too...
Just curious to know why Tesco find it okay to charge £7 yet no other of the big 5 charge this much... yes, I know they can do what they like, just don't think it's very ethical considering. Ethics? Supermarkets? yes, I know......
Edited by: "Straycat1967" 29th Apr
Supposedly they lose money on every online shop, was reported to be £5- £7 a few years ago, and is probably more now they're recruiting extra staff and doing more slots, so I'm not surprised if they've put it up:- thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml
Edited by: "melted" 29th Apr

Just curious to know why Tesco find it okay to charge £7 yet no other of …Just curious to know why Tesco find it okay to charge £7 yet no other of the big 5 charge this much... yes, I know they can do what they like, just don't think it's very ethical considering. Ethics? Supermarkets? yes, I know......

My asda walmart charge that much peak times weekends etc,when you can get a delivery that is.
Edited by: "fearona" 29th Apr
Encouraging people to take delivery saver plan.
jamie1529/04/2020 15:28

well that's pointless considering slots are usually quite rare and not guaranteed week in week out.
jamie1529/04/2020 15:28

They are not currently taking on new delivery saver customers @ Tesco

40578130-EQugy.jpg
Edited by: "fearona" 29th Apr

They are charging £7 for the slots on Fri, Sat and Sun when demand is highest. Slots on those days/times have always been the most expensive and if you are able to pick another slot, even on the same day you can pay as little as £3.50/£4.

Also, most people have a choice, if they find the prices too high they can go to a competitor, or go in store
Asda can be high as £6.50 at weekends though do have cheaper options later in the day. A real challenge of course to get any slots.

Would you be willing to spend half an hour in a supermarket doing someone's shopping then deliver it for £7? They are paying their staff more at the moment and even at £7, they will be making no profit from the online delivery compared to an instore shop. Choose a £2 slot and be grateful you can even get one if it upsets you that much
fearona29/04/2020 15:36

They are not currently taking on new delivery saver customers @ …They are not currently taking on new delivery saver customers @ Tesco[Image]

Didn't realise. Amazon doing something similar with Fresh.
You pay £7 for delivery, we wait in line for up to an hour and put ourselves at risk in store.

Seems fair.
Edited by: "McShane1" 29th Apr
McShane129/04/2020 15:49

You pay £7 for delivery, we wait in line for up to an hour and put …You pay £7 for delivery, we wait in line for up to an hour and put ourselves at risk in store.Seems fair.

Today I went to Sainsbury's and no queues, same with most other shops. I think since opening hours have been extended and shelves have been restocked the panic has ended.
jamie1529/04/2020 15:50

Today I went to Sainsbury's and no queues, same with most other shops. I …Today I went to Sainsbury's and no queues, same with most other shops. I think since opening hours have been extended and shelves have been restocked the panic has ended.

Not been out this week yet but have noticed queue times have got shorter. Longest I've waited was an hour and half at Tesco about 3 - 4 weeks ago, this was about midday - never going that time again! More recently I've only been queuing for around 15 minutes in the mornings now.
jamie1529/04/2020 15:50

Today I went to Sainsbury's and no queues, same with most other shops. I …Today I went to Sainsbury's and no queues, same with most other shops. I think since opening hours have been extended and shelves have been restocked the panic has ended.

I went to Sainsburys and Waitrose this morning around 11. No queues, not heavily crowded and found everything needed.
chocci29/04/2020 15:43

Would you be willing to spend half an hour in a supermarket doing …Would you be willing to spend half an hour in a supermarket doing someone's shopping then deliver it for £7? They are paying their staff more at the moment and even at £7, they will be making no profit from the online delivery compared to an instore shop. Choose a £2 slot and be grateful you can even get one if it upsets you that much

100% agreed. Perhaps they should charge what it actually costs them (more than £7!) but offer a discounted rate to those in genuine need (elderly /housebound etc).
McShane129/04/2020 15:52

Not been out this week yet but have noticed queue times have got shorter. …Not been out this week yet but have noticed queue times have got shorter. Longest I've waited was an hour and half at Tesco about 3 - 4 weeks ago, this was about midday - never going that time again! More recently I've only been queuing for around 15 minutes in the mornings now.

When lockdown started queues were way longer, not the case anymore. Only queues I've seen today were outside banks and Post Office.
Edited by: "jamie15" 29th Apr
AC-ZEP-GEN-DC29/04/2020 15:56

100% agreed. Perhaps they should charge what it actually costs them (more …100% agreed. Perhaps they should charge what it actually costs them (more than £7!) but offer a discounted rate to those in genuine need (elderly /housebound etc).

That would not happen, especially not now. If they raised price to full cost they would be accused of price gouging and boycotted. If they did it when everything returns to normal, customers would shop elsewhere.
There's a lot of rip offs in this pandemic period!
AC-ZEP-GEN-DC29/04/2020 15:56

100% agreed. Perhaps they should charge what it actually costs them (more …100% agreed. Perhaps they should charge what it actually costs them (more than £7!) but offer a discounted rate to those in genuine need (elderly /housebound etc).

jamie1529/04/2020 15:57

That would not happen, especially not now. If they raised price to full …That would not happen, especially not now. If they raised price to full cost they would be accused of price gouging and boycotted. If they did it when everything returns to normal, customers would shop elsewhere.

Tesco charge £2 for priority access for those on the vulnerable list if they have any slots that is, Asda is free for delivery if on the list.
fearona29/04/2020 16:18

Tesco charge £2 for priority access for those on the vulnerable list if …Tesco charge £2 for priority access for those on the vulnerable list if they have any slots that is, Asda is free for delivery if on the list.

Absolute joke if that's happening.
jamie1529/04/2020 16:58

Absolute joke if that's happening.

£7 Slot is £2 if on list.
fearona29/04/2020 17:06

£7 Slot is £2 if on list.

Oh I misunderstood. Thought you meant £2 extra for priority access. £2 for £7 slot is good
Edited by: "jamie15" 29th Apr
Quite suprised to see sooo many slots
no slots in our area for the next 2-3 weeks!!
Ukguy10129/04/2020 16:18

There's a lot of rip offs in this pandemic period!

Like?
That's mad you have so many options! Where do you live as there is nothing at all around here at the moment
Edited by: "cdm22" 29th Apr
Glad you posted this. Loads of slots were available in my area that haven’t been for weeks.
Saturday or Sunday is normally a premium. Looks like pretty normal pricing to me.
cdm2229/04/2020 17:19

That's mad you have so many options! Where do you live as there is nothing …That's mad you have so many options! Where do you live as there is nothing at all around here at the moment

Surprised me too! Nothing around me for weeks until now... That's why I was wondering if they have sub contracted delivery companies outside of their normal logistics and thus more slots now and also why some at increased rates!
Don`t pay it then , easy
Well straycat, If this was a deal I'd have upvoted it. Due to your alert that Tesco has slots I logged in and got one for end of next week for £5 delivery cost. I'd been using shoppingslot.co.uk/ as posted elsewhere in HUKD to check 4 supermarket chains and that has been flatly stating that Tesco has no slots at all. You have to actually log in.
harrythefish29/04/2020 19:07

Well straycat, If this was a deal I'd have upvoted it. Due to your alert …Well straycat, If this was a deal I'd have upvoted it. Due to your alert that Tesco has slots I logged in and got one for end of next week for £5 delivery cost. I'd been using https://shoppingslot.co.uk/ as posted elsewhere in HUKD to check 4 supermarket chains and that has been flatly stating that Tesco has no slots at all. You have to actually log in.

haha glad i've helped some people here!
I'd be interested in peoples experience with Tesco if they booked a (non-vulnerable account) slot recently and completed an order. I did just that today and was taken through every step of the payment process including all card details on a booked slot 10 days hence and £100 order. It's all in my browser history. Yet on returning to the site and logging in, the order does not exist, it's all still in the shopping basket. It's as if Tesco rebooted their server, losing everything for the last period of time. Also no emails received saying that something went wrong.

I am beginning to wonder of the slots were accidental/bogus in the Tesco system and their way of correcting the problem is to wipe out the orders.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 29th Apr
harrythefish29/04/2020 22:56

I'd be interested in peoples experience with Tesco if they booked a …I'd be interested in peoples experience with Tesco if they booked a (non-vulnerable account) slot recently and completed an order. I did just that today and was taken through every step of the payment process including all card details on a booked slot 10 days hence and £100 order. It's all in my browser history. Yet on returning to the site and logging in, the order does not exist, it's all still in the shopping basket. It's as if Tesco rebooted their server, losing everything for the last period of time. Also no emails received saying that something went wrong.I am beginning to wonder of the slots were accidental/bogus in the Tesco system and their way of correcting the problem is to wipe out the orders.

Did you receive an order confirmation after payment? I always get an email instantly on payment.
harrythefish29/04/2020 22:56

I'd be interested in peoples experience with Tesco if they booked a …I'd be interested in peoples experience with Tesco if they booked a (non-vulnerable account) slot recently and completed an order. I did just that today and was taken through every step of the payment process including all card details on a booked slot 10 days hence and £100 order. It's all in my browser history. Yet on returning to the site and logging in, the order does not exist, it's all still in the shopping basket. It's as if Tesco rebooted their server, losing everything for the last period of time. Also no emails received saying that something went wrong.I am beginning to wonder of the slots were accidental/bogus in the Tesco system and their way of correcting the problem is to wipe out the orders.

Booked 3 deliveries and no problems
donster30/04/2020 00:22

Did you receive an order confirmation after payment? I always get an email …Did you receive an order confirmation after payment? I always get an email instantly on payment.

Went back and more slots have appeared now, this time was able to place an order using existing basket for 11th May and got an email confirmation.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 30th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions