£700 Washing Machine Broken 9 Months out of warranty

Found 25th Jul 2017
We bought a washer dryer from AO around 20 months ago. We paid almost £700 for it. 20 months later (9 months out of 12 months guarantee) the drying function will not work. It goes through all of the motions, but the clothes are still wet. I emailed AO stating how disappointed we are, that white goods should be expected to last around 5 years, not to mention paying so much we expected it to possibly last even longer. AO have replied saying we need to take an extended warranty with Domestic and General costing £16.99pcm (so another £200). They have just yesterday offered us £30 towards this. Our machine has a 5 years parts warranty, but this of course doesn't include Labour.

I am so disapointed to say the very least. Just 9 months out of guarantee. Am I wrong in thinking AO should be doing more to help me and not just telling me to spend more on an extended warranty? Anyone got any advice for me, or do I need to just suck it up and pay.

23 Comments

I think it's the company who made it and not who sold it, that you should be complaining to. Good luck though it really should have lasted longer or it's not really fit for purpose.

Sale of goods act. You have an expectation of longevity. The retailer must repair replace or refund. Hassle them and say you want to claim under SOGA you phone line will cut, make a crackling noise and then a husky voice asks "how do you know about SOGA" . Do be scared. They are the department that can so anything.

I wonder if my posts as per usual won't make it.

If all else fails get a one off repair at fixed cost. This normally comes with a full machine 3 month warranty. My dad's dishwasher pump failed. The pump alone buying online was about the same cost at a one off repair. I think he paid a little more and got the repair plus 12 month warranty.

try the eu law of 7 years ?

Original Poster

Fom what I've read so far its up to the company who sold it to me as they entered into the sales contract with me, not the manufacturer.

Thank you Fitzyboy1690, AO said I need to prove to them that the machine was "inherently faulty" by an engineers report, that I have to pay for. I don't see how it can not be inherently faulty? I have just two kids, and it is used three times a week maximum (one kids clothes, one mine and bedding, one hubbys clothes), not like I have 10 kids and its on the go all day every day.

Thank you snaffy, I am off to google SOGA

Original Poster

isn't SOGA just the Sale of Good Act? I was hoping for some insiders info there lol. I have said to them about fit for purpose etc which this machine clearly isnt.

20 months ?

right rule 1 .. EU law says it must be TWO years. Not one. Lots of manufacturers try this on.

europa.eu/you…htm

rule 2. you have SIX years under consumer rights, you would expect a washer to last more than 20 months.

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

Write to them now, say that EU law provides a two year warranty and see what they say.
Edited by: "daskapital" 25th Jul 2017

I had a similar problem a part went on my hotpoint washing machine literally a month after the 12 month warranty. The engineer said in his 20 years he had never seen that particular part go. It was some metal part at the back looked like someone had sawed through it. He said if it had been in the 12 month warranty I would of got a new machine but instead I had to pay £149 to cover it for the year and they would fix it. Good job I paid for the year instead of one off payment, as it did nothing but breakdown after that. I think only the shell is the original part now! Good luck.

the seller or the manufacturer or both could be at fault (xbox rings of death for example). Difficult to win case here. Best bet is trying to get a third party such as Citizens Advice Bureau to advocate on your behalf. Bad publicity is always the winner . Contact trading standards sometimes they collect data and your breakdown might fit into a pattern of similar stories. Yes you could claim it has not lasted as long as expected but that is a civil matter and are you willing to take case to court?
Edited by: "owtsfornowts2" 25th Jul 2017

I bet it's an Hotpoint, Indesit, Hoover or Candy?.

Very common for drying cycle to pack up, your best option would be to get a separate dryer if possible. Much more efficient and quicker.

Original Poster

shauneco

I bet it's an Hotpoint, Indesit, Hoover or Candy?. Very common for drying … I bet it's an Hotpoint, Indesit, Hoover or Candy?. Very common for drying cycle to pack up, your best option would be to get a separate dryer if possible. Much more efficient and quicker.

Its a Hoover WDMT4138AI2

Hopefully it's not just the thermal cut out has tripped. It's common if the heater element gets clogged up witj fluff.

Oops thermal cut off

GoshILoveABargain

Its a Hoover WDMT4138AI2

They can request that you get an engineer's report done. I think they would go in your favour. However might be just as easy to deal directly with manufacturer. If you get it fixed it will only break again in the future. They always do, I have never known drying cycle to last longer than 2 years without requiring fixing in some way. Sometimes they only need cleaning out. Any repai costs would be best spent on a separate dryer. Remember a condenser dryer can go virtually anywhere if space is an issue. Or have it fixed by a local engineer.

i used this when my xbox one went faulty after 14 month and microsoft tried to tell me it was out of warranty
after about 2 weeks it was all sorted for free and even got 3 months live for the hassle
complaint.resolver.co.uk/use…_in

PEPSIDAVE

i used this when my xbox one went faulty after 14 month and microsoft … i used this when my xbox one went faulty after 14 month and microsoft tried to tell me it was out of warrantyafter about 2 weeks it was all sorted for free and even got 3 months live for the hasslehttps://complaint.resolver.co.uk/users/sign_in#/case-file/471288/show

I used Martin's RESOLVER when Experian released my details to a 3rd party who then was able to answer all my Bank's 'phone security questions and empty my account.
They do get results...I got a cheque from Experian for £100 after the Ombudsman ruled they had been negligent.
RESOLVER has template letters which certainly help

GoshILoveABargain2 h, 11 m ago

Its a Hoover WDMT4138AI2

hoover is a really bad make. they used to be good until they were taken over by candy, which is a really cheapy brand. i avoid buying hoover now.

"I need to prove to them that the machine was "inherently faulty" by an engineers report"

I would take the opposite tack - that the machine has been used for only it's intended purpose and therefore having failed so soon it must be inherently faulty. I'd also point out that you can't have damaged the machine as the washing part still works - it's just the dryer function which doesn't.

I had a LEC freezer from Tesco which stopped working after approx 20 months - again Tesco started with "nothing to do with us" - eventually when I mentioned their responsibilities under the Sale of Goods Act they said they'd have to send me a form to fill in (OTM - over 12 months) - listed various questions on how I knew the machine was "inherently faulty" at purchase and similar. Answered just like I said above. Eventually Tesco refunded me £100 on a £220 freezer.

we bought a washer/dryer from AO, it broke within 9 weeks, I'd only used it 3 times, and they refused to do anything about it - they said it was outside their time limit! I got in touch with the Citizens Advice and they weren't interested - they seemed to be saying that AO were within their rights to refuse. AO passed us on to Indesit who said they would send an engineer, unfortunately he must have got lost on the way as he still hasn't arrived! We ended up having to claim through the insurance we'd taken out, the "best" engineer they sent didn't know how to fix it the first time - he was even on the phone to someone for about an hour trying to figure it out, eventually it got fixed after the third person came. Would never recommend AO to anybody. (I posted on FB and AO denied that I ever had bought anything from them.)

Original Poster

Van1973

"I need to prove to them that the machine was "inherently faulty" by an … "I need to prove to them that the machine was "inherently faulty" by an engineers report"I would take the opposite tack - that the machine has been used for only it's intended purpose and therefore having failed so soon it must be inherently faulty. I'd also point out that you can't have damaged the machine as the washing part still works - it's just the dryer function which doesn't.I had a LEC freezer from Tesco which stopped working after approx 20 months - again Tesco started with "nothing to do with us" - eventually when I mentioned their responsibilities under the Sale of Goods Act they said they'd have to send me a form to fill in (OTM - over 12 months) - listed various questions on how I knew the machine was "inherently faulty" at purchase and similar. Answered just like I said above. Eventually Tesco refunded me £100 on a £220 freezer.

That is what I have said to them. The machine is 13kg. I have two kids. We bought it just after the second was born, as I run a business from home [moved business home when the first was born]. A larger washer was going to make my life so much easier with only having to do 1 to 2 loads per week, rather than with the 6kg we previously had where it was on once every 2/3 days. So this machine by its very nature will require less use by your average family. So if the part that has gone only really had a 100 cycle life in it, its took 1 year 9 months to get to that 100th cycle, whereas a larger family may have got to that magical 100th cycle a lot sooner and with in the 12 months.
Edited by: "GoshILoveABargain" 26th Jul 2017

Original Poster

MaggyMay123

we bought a washer/dryer from AO, it broke within 9 weeks, I'd only used … we bought a washer/dryer from AO, it broke within 9 weeks, I'd only used it 3 times, and they refused to do anything about it - they said it was outside their time limit! I got in touch with the Citizens Advice and they weren't interested - they seemed to be saying that AO were within their rights to refuse. AO passed us on to Indesit who said they would send an engineer, unfortunately he must have got lost on the way as he still hasn't arrived! We ended up having to claim through the insurance we'd taken out, the "best" engineer they sent didn't know how to fix it the first time - he was even on the phone to someone for about an hour trying to figure it out, eventually it got fixed after the third person came. Would never recommend AO to anybody. (I posted on FB and AO denied that I ever had bought anything from them.)

They are clearly moving in the direction of agreeing with me that they are responsible as their first offer was £30, they emailed back last night saying they'll offer 50% towards repairs by hoover or 50% towards a D&G extended warranty (so £74.50). I have raised this on Resolver too.

I am gobsmacked they refused to help after only 9 weeks. What reasons did Citizens advice give?

GoshILoveABargain

They are clearly moving in the direction of agreeing with me that they … They are clearly moving in the direction of agreeing with me that they are responsible as their first offer was £30, they emailed back last night saying they'll offer 50% towards repairs by hoover or 50% towards a D&G extended warranty (so £74.50). I have raised this on Resolver too. I am gobsmacked they refused to help after only 9 weeks. What reasons did Citizens advice give?

Stick by your guns, Get an engineers report done if you have too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants