70mph smart motorways

Found 24th Feb
I read that the 70mph on the motorways was going to be very strict and information was doing the rounds on Whatsapp.
I see loads of people doing above that, so was it just fake news?

Article on smart motorway speed limit
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Smart cameras will not catch drivers using mobiles, or drugs, or drink,. The BIGGEST cause of death and injuries on roads is NOT speed...it is "driver error or reaction".

About time there were more Police driving the roads instead of relying on so called smart cameras to catch someone after the fact!

By the way, before anyone bleats about me "condining speeding", I don't. I try my absoute best not to speed. I use cruise control on Motorways, Dual-Carriage ways etc to limit my speed and stick to the limit.

I get annoyed when I see articles like this one, alluding to road deaths being caused soley by speed.
as you say, fake news, otherwise i'd have lost my licence by now. that said, i'd still go easy on the smart bits.
o for the days of keeping a sharp look out for a 'jam sandwich'
Edited by: "airbus330" 24th Feb
as said above cameras don't do anything, people just learn where they are and then they are useless

cops don't even pull you over for speeding anymore, maybe small town cops just don't care
Original Poster
The motorway cameras are on long stretches , I'm just asking if they will kick in with the strict enforcement as suggested in the articles.
No, the recent articles about m1 cameras flashing when you were 1mph, are fake, so annoying (people that believe them). These fake news honestly...
f3rgy152 h, 19 m ago

No, the recent articles about m1 cameras flashing when you were 1mph, are …No, the recent articles about m1 cameras flashing when you were 1mph, are fake, so annoying (people that believe them). These fake news honestly...

They are set strictly on stretches of the m25, but as far as I’m aware that’s currently the only place in the country...
They confirmed that the cameras were always active (for the normal 70mph limit, not just when the lower speed limit signs were active as some thought)

For some reason people interpreted that as a new strict 70 limit, but really nothing changed and there is still a bit of leeway.
The reports were referring to a section of the M1 through Leicestershire/Notts.
All the M1 smart motorway speed rules has confused me because i can't remember if M62 was included or not because ours is a smart motorway aswell.
Rules never changed to 1mph fine as someone has said above as that was a police man views where he wanted that as a new rule but that will never happen because everyone will do 65mph and cause a havoc on the motorway.

So has anyone recieved a fine on the M1?
artnada20 h, 44 m ago

Smart cameras will not catch drivers using mobiles, or drugs, or drink,. …Smart cameras will not catch drivers using mobiles, or drugs, or drink,. The BIGGEST cause of death and injuries on roads is NOT speed...it is "driver error or reaction". About time there were more Police driving the roads instead of relying on so called smart cameras to catch someone after the fact!By the way, before anyone bleats about me "condining speeding", I don't. I try my absoute best not to speed. I use cruise control on Motorways, Dual-Carriage ways etc to limit my speed and stick to the limit. I get annoyed when I see articles like this one, alluding to road deaths being caused soley by speed.

Very high speeds certainly causes crashes especially when tailgating like lunatics. Would you agree?
Original Poster
termite16 h, 20 m ago

The reports were referring to a section of the M1 through …The reports were referring to a section of the M1 through Leicestershire/Notts.

On the Whatsapp messages it had a list of all motorways including m62 but I think it may be untrue now seeing as no one is caught.
Joey.Bloggsy5 h, 10 m ago

On the Whatsapp messages it had a list of all motorways including m62 but …On the Whatsapp messages it had a list of all motorways including m62 but I think it may be untrue now seeing as no one is caught.

It says 8000+ have got caught how would we know nobody's been caught.
davewave6 h, 1 m ago

Very high speeds certainly causes crashes especially when tailgating like …Very high speeds certainly causes crashes especially when tailgating like lunatics. Would you agree?

which is probably about 1% of all crashes

so does it really justify the amount of time, effort and infrastructure that the police spend?

it's almost as if they do it to generate income....
West Yorkshire police force had issued largest number of speeding fines(was in newspapers and on news ..maybe 3-6 weeks ago)
M62 is a smart motorway, guessing reason for so many tickets, I OFTEN see the cameras flashing..)
adamspencer9524 m ago

which is probably about 1% of all crashesso does it really justify the …which is probably about 1% of all crashesso does it really justify the amount of time, effort and infrastructure that the police spend? it's almost as if they do it to generate income....

I guess travelling at 100mph is very avoidable.
Original Poster
MynameisM1 h, 12 m ago

It says 8000+ have got caught how would we know nobody's been caught.

What im asking is not how many but how fast they were speeding, was it 71mph or 100mph. I just thought somebody would know this info. Ie is that news report true or not and so far it looks false to me.
I got flashed on the M1 going south towards the M25 justwaiting for the ticket to come through.

I always set my cruise on 80mph so I would have been going about 75mph in real terms
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants