73 branches are to shut at Pizza Express

Lead deal editor23
Posted 7th Sep 2020
Pizza Express: full list of restaurants to close and the loss of upto 1110 jobs

The chain has announced 73 branches are to shut after the coronavirus crisis hit sales

Branches below

Aberdeen - Belmont Street
Aylesbury
Barnstaple – Three Tuns
Biggleswade
Billericay
Birmingham – Corporation Street
Birmingham – Mailbox
Bournemouth – Post Office Road
Bramhall
Bristol - Berkeley Square
Bristol - Regent Street
Bromsgrove
Chippenham
Dalton Park
Darlington
Dudley – Merry Hill
Edinburgh – Holyrood
Formby
Glasgow – Princes Square
Glossop
Gosforth
Grantham
Halifax
Hatch End
Hereford
Heswall
Ipswich – Lloyds Ave
Leeds – Crown Street
Leeds – Horsforth
Ludlow
Lymington
Melton Mowbray
Midhurst
Milton Keynes – Hub
Moseley
New Brighton
Newcastle
Newport – Isle of Wight
Newport – South Wales
Northallerton
Nottingham – Goosegate
Orpington
Oxford – Oxford Castle
Poole
Port Solent
Ramsgate
Reading – St Mary’s Butts
Scarborough
Sheffield – Devonshire St
Sheffield The Moor
Shirley
Southport – Old Bank
Stafford
Staines
Stoke
Stourbridge
Sudbury
Torquay
Uxbridge
Wakefield
Walsall
Weston-super-Mare
Whiteley Village
Whitstable
Wrexham

In London

Bruton Place
Charlotte Street
Earls Court – Earls Court Rd
Fulham Palace Road
Hampstead
O2 Finchley
Wardour Street
Wapping

Source
Community Updates
23 Comments
Was in trouble long before covid 19, this is from october 2019
Tuesday 8 Oct 2019 10:49 am

Why does Pizza Express face administration? Pizza Express is currently in trouble because it has a pile of debt worth an estimated £1.1 billion. Sales in the UK and abroad fell last year, meaning that the company’s operating profits were more than offset by the high interest payments – valued at around £93 million per year – owed on the escalating debt.
Impressive that PE doesn't even need a week after EOTHO ending to decide that EOTHO participants will not have been encouraged to frequently return to the chain to EO and HO.
AR TAK
Edited by: "fearona" 7th Sep
Nodebugle07/09/2020 12:52

Comment deleted

My local takeaway does 2 pizzas for £12, how pizza express and domino's charge £15 is madness
Big_Rik07/09/2020 12:57

My local takeaway does 2 pizzas for £12, how pizza express and domino's …My local takeaway does 2 pizzas for £12, how pizza express and domino's charge £15 is madness

These are mostly restaurants closing.
I see the Woking one is remaining open...
dipsylalapo07/09/2020 13:46

I hear the tourism industry has gone through the roof in Woking
overpriced, if they halved their prices it is shown they will sell a lot more volume, a lot of shops are the same..strange
Big_Rik07/09/2020 12:57

My local takeaway does 2 pizzas for £12, how pizza express and domino's …My local takeaway does 2 pizzas for £12, how pizza express and domino's charge £15 is madness

Even the Dominos 2 for one at ~£15 on Tuesdays, the 50% off £20 minimum spend, or the secret app offers when ordering pizzas (when putting one in the basket ~£13 and the app offers you a large margherita for like £3 sometimes on the checkout screen) are also steep. Can easily get close to their quality by buying a cheap £1-2 frozen pizza depending on size, use the bottom of a tray as a makeshift “pizza stone”, semolina on the “pizza stone”, preheat at your oven’s highest point and put the frozen pizza on it for a minute or two, then take out and leave on wire racking for a minute to get crispy on the bottom.
MrMaccieKFC07/09/2020 15:19

Even the Dominos 2 for one at ~£15 on Tuesdays, the 50% off £20 minimum s …Even the Dominos 2 for one at ~£15 on Tuesdays, the 50% off £20 minimum spend, or the secret app offers when ordering pizzas (when putting one in the basket ~£13 and the app offers you a large margherita for like £3 sometimes on the checkout screen) are also steep. Can easily get close to their quality by buying a cheap £1-2 frozen pizza depending on size, use the bottom of a tray as a makeshift “pizza stone”, semolina on the “pizza stone”, preheat at your oven’s highest point and put the frozen pizza on it for a minute or two, then take out and leave on wire racking for a minute to get crispy on the bottom.

Apart from Asda's fresh pizza's, I'm yet to find a half Decent frozen one unfortunately.
But I'll try that advice.
Many such businesses were in trouble much before the pandemic. Debenhams, for example, has been in a permanent crisis.
Big_Rik07/09/2020 15:27

Apart from Asda's fresh pizza's, I'm yet to find a half Decent frozen one …Apart from Asda's fresh pizza's, I'm yet to find a half Decent frozen one unfortunately. But I'll try that advice.

Apart from Asda's fresh pizza's, I'm yet to find a half Decent frozen one …Apart from Asda's fresh pizza's, I'm yet to find a half Decent frozen one unfortunately. But I'll try that advice.

I like the loaded cheese or double pepperoni chicago town pizzas.
dipsylalapo07/09/2020 13:46

Lol, pressure from his Highness
IMO PizzaExpress has some terrible restaurant locations, especially in central London. The Wardour Street branch is Chinatown, who would go to Chinatown for Pizza Express?! That branch was always empty when I passed by.

They also have good locations, so hopefully these closures improve profitability.
Edited by: "jamie15" 7th Sep

The issue for me was getting the bottom part of the pizza crispy. I usually got the top and sides absolutely perfect but always ended up with a soft bottom part, ending up with what was basically cheese and tomato on crusted bread, not exactly a pizza. I even tried placing the pizza on the wire racking of the oven, expecting the exposed bottom to be cooked, but still ended up with a soft bottom of the pizza. Quality pizza stones that retain heat are costly, so tried using a general metal cooking tray, upside down so the pizza would be on a flat surface and placed in the oven, preheated the oven to max for a few minutes, and it worked perfectly.

I find the Asda, Aldi, Morrisons and Tesco ones are very good, sometimes needing to top up the cheese because they can be a bit stingy on the factory applications. Have yet to try Waitrose and Sainsburys but heard from friends that the Waitrose ones are “pukka”.
bozo00707/09/2020 15:51

Many such businesses were in trouble much before the pandemic. Debenhams, …Many such businesses were in trouble much before the pandemic. Debenhams, for example, has been in a permanent crisis.

^ This.

If you look at the accounts of these businesses, a lot of them were bought out some years before and then saddled with debt.

Servicing the debt at historically low interest rates isn't a problem when the economy is functioning normally and money is flowing through the tills but gets difficult when it's not.

Covid isn't just targetting the weakest of our species, it's also thinning out the weak points in our economies.
jamie1507/09/2020 15:57

IMO PizzaExpress has some terrible restaurant locations, especially in …IMO PizzaExpress has some terrible restaurant locations, especially in central London. The Wardour Street branch is Chinatown, who would go to Chinatown for Pizza Express?! That branch was always empty when I passed by.They also have good locations, so hopefully these closures improve profitability.

The Wardour St branch was the first ever Pizza Express. Sad to see it go.
HappyShopper07/09/2020 16:14

^ This.If you look at the accounts of these businesses, a lot of them were …^ This.If you look at the accounts of these businesses, a lot of them were bought out some years before and then saddled with debt.Servicing the debt at historically low interest rates isn't a problem when the economy is functioning normally and money is flowing through the tills but gets difficult when it's not.Covid isn't just targetting the weakest of our species, it's also thinning out the weak points in our economies.

I personally believe this culling of businesses that are resource guzzlers is necessary. It is terrible for those who work there and I hope they get all the help possible. But throwing taxpayer money to prop up these businesses is a terrible waste.
superspod07/09/2020 16:14

The Wardour St branch was the first ever Pizza Express. Sad to see it go.

Damn, didn't realise. Must have been holding onto it for company history not profit.
jamie1507/09/2020 17:07

Damn, didn't realise. Must have been holding onto it for company history …Damn, didn't realise. Must have been holding onto it for company history not profit.

Or the fact that Pizza Express have been selling products in supermarkets for cheaper than their own restaurants, for customers to get their pizza fix without needing to go in and rendering the restaurants obsolete.
Never cook a pizza from frozen. Imo...
Shame about pizza express although pizza hut shut down by me last year so must be struggling in some areas. Cheaper to takeaway vs eating in and drinks were expensive so it's not a good business plan, but running costs must be high. I've always thought the weather in UK is why we lag behind good profitable restaurants because indoor dining running costs are so high. Can't see it will ever change
Sad to hear that Wirral's New Brighton (walkable in about 25 mins for me) and Heswall restaurants are going .
Edited by: "sjs31" 7th Sep
MrMaccieKFC07/09/2020 20:01

Or the fact that Pizza Express have been selling products in supermarkets …Or the fact that Pizza Express have been selling products in supermarkets for cheaper than their own restaurants, for customers to get their pizza fix without needing to go in and rendering the restaurants obsolete.

IMO pizza is a difficult business to have dine in for. Pizza is so commonly for delivery or takeaway that restaurants like PizzaExpress and Pizza Hut suffer (especially the latter given how well known the delivery part is).

Places like Franco Manca know this but are a bit more immune because they position themselves a lot more high end. PizzaExpress feels like they are trying to appeal to more people which may interfere. I have never ate pizza at PizzaExpress (only once when it was free) because I think I can get pizza elsewhere for cheaper, even though PizzaExpress is probably better quality for me personally I don't feel like they get that message across well.
Post a comment
@
    Text