8 stone to lose

Posted 29th Oct
Hi I’m feeling really down, I have 8 stone to lose, can it be done by dieting, has anyone ever lost this much without surgery, I know what I should be doing but it seems such a mountain to climb I don’t know where to start
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I've lost 4.5 stone over the last two years just by eating less and eating more sensibly. It takes willpower to get started but after a few weeks my whole attitude towards food changed. I don't feel the compulsion to overeat at all anymore, I know a smaller amount of food will stop me feeling hungry and then I stop. I have thie occasional lapse but I don't beat myself up about it and get back on track ASAP. Fitness trackers are useful to monitor activity but the biggest tip I can give you is porridge, filling, healthy and gives you the energy to move more. Good luck.
Thank you for all of your tips. I have just downloaded my fitness pal and going to start with cutting out junk and walking. I just need to keep motivated.
hotukdeals.com/com…706 really 4 stone in 1 month. Surely that is impossible!
40 Comments
Don't beat yourself up about it , you can do it, look at apps like my fitness pal, etc, you can use for free , where you put your weight in, and what you eat etc, start off walking and build from there , it will record your walk if you've got android or iOS if you keep your phone on you, good luck you will do it
It’s easier than you think I lost 4st in 1 month, I not sit around 5st lighter than my heaviest. All I did in the month I lost 4st Is an hours swim or bike ride every day, sometimes both and I ate nothing but my 3 meals. It was horrible month but a month flies over. You can lost the 8st in 2/3 month. I did it quickly because the thought of dieting and losing 1lb a week for over a year just didn’t appeal.
I've lost 4.5 stone over the last two years just by eating less and eating more sensibly. It takes willpower to get started but after a few weeks my whole attitude towards food changed. I don't feel the compulsion to overeat at all anymore, I know a smaller amount of food will stop me feeling hungry and then I stop. I have thie occasional lapse but I don't beat myself up about it and get back on track ASAP. Fitness trackers are useful to monitor activity but the biggest tip I can give you is porridge, filling, healthy and gives you the energy to move more. Good luck.
Me too. Going to start today. Porridge for breakfast. Walk at lunch. And I’ll go from there
I lost 5 stone in 5 months this year, still got a couple to lose as I decided to just stabilise my weight for the year and get the rest off next year .

Yes it can be done. It’s difficult to lose weight through diet alone, you have to do some form of exercise.

If you have medical problems and cannot do strenuous exercise then walking everyday is fine, you’ll need to do about 5 miles to start with and build up to more.
If you can run then running will help, again target 5 miles and try to run as much of it as you can (don’t be ashamed to walk some of it at first but do a fast walk and break back into a run when you can). Aches and pains following the exercise then get your legs into a cold bath for 5-10 mins, get your tablet setup in the bathroom and watch something for 5-10 mins to take your mind off it, then have a warm shower. You’ll find it’ll stop you getting leg aches and pains.

Remember good trainers are important for your feet, something which supports the arches of your feet if you need it.

Diet: I got multivitamins, took one each day. Had homemade soup and a couple of rolls for dinner, for lunch whilst at work I had a sandwich which was made with plain cooked chicken. Breakfast I had black coffee. Snacks I had oranges or bananas. I did that for about 3 months, before introducing meals with mostly vegetables.

Cut sugar from drinks, drink sugar free squash or water. No crisps, chocolate, alcohol, sweets etc (unless there is a medical reason).

Remember only you can do something about your issue when you want to do it. You will know when your ready, as did I.

I will add that a friend of mine had surgery, she has lost some weight, ended up with some new medical conditions, hasn’t lost as much weight as me and felt quite ill for about a year, there is no quick fix for weight loss, it’s about eating less high energy/sugar/fat foods and moving around more to burn off that stored energy.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 29th Oct
Im also want to loose 3 stone by march to get me back down to 10st but its so hard to stay consistent after a week i end up eating bad and think ill start again tomorrow but i dont then end up putting more weight on
It can be done though but diet needs to be overhauled and adding in exercise
I stopped buying snacky things for the house and lost a stone in a few weeks also dont eat late
sd1329/10/2019 07:23

Im also want to loose 3 stone by march to get me back down to 10st but its …Im also want to loose 3 stone by march to get me back down to 10st but its so hard to stay consistent after a week i end up eating bad and think ill start again tomorrow but i dont then end up putting more weight on It can be done though but diet needs to be overhauled and adding in exercise I stopped buying snacky things for the house and lost a stone in a few weeks also dont eat late

Add a walk to your lunch break a work and watch the lb’s fall away....
I started my weight loss journey in January 2016 and for the past two years have managed to keep 10.5 stone off through diet changes alone. I was 22 stone.

Losing weight is very scientific. If you consume fewer calories than you body needs, you’ll lose weight. If you consume more, you’ll gain.

I’d suggest you google “calories needed to lose weight” and insert your height and weight and it will tell you how many calories you can consume to lose weight.

A loss of one pound means you need to have a deficit of 3500 kcal. So if you body needs 2000kcal per day to maintain its weight, if you have 1500kcal per day, in a week, you’d lose a pound.

I would highly recommend MyFitnessPal in order to record your calorie intake accurately. It is free.

Good luck!
Edited by: "shnp" 29th Oct
Thank you for all of your tips. I have just downloaded my fitness pal and going to start with cutting out junk and walking. I just need to keep motivated.
hotukdeals.com/com…706 really 4 stone in 1 month. Surely that is impossible!
Simple things for weight loss are:
- Walk everywhere you can
- Swim 3 x per week (Being big exercise at gym needs to be built up slowly prevent injury)
- Shop when your full not hungry
- Avoid wheat based foods in shops
- Use smaller plates to control portion sizes
- Have last meal early evening and go walk after
- Snack on fruit not sweets/junk
- Join something like Slimming World/Weight Watchers, not just for weight loss but tips, ideas and company
- Beware of what you drink as well as eat
- Do food from fresh not precooked
go to youtube and type in snake diet
Try drinking more water especially before breakfast (and gradually reduce breakfast) and try not to eat anything 3 hours before sleeping. With all diets and exercise please take your time and ease into stuff. Don’t go all out anything off the bat. Small steps.
Edited by: "xxbluedragonxx" 29th Oct
webbo12329/10/2019 07:52

Thank you for all of your tips. I have just downloaded my fitness pal and …Thank you for all of your tips. I have just downloaded my fitness pal and going to start with cutting out junk and walking. I just need to keep motivated.https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/38826706 really 4 stone in 1 month. Surely that is impossible!

That’s a good start. Good luck and if you need motivation then you might benefit from something like slimming world or joining a walking/hiking club near you.

I’m very independent person so go running early morning at 4/5am so didn’t join any clubs but it does work for a lot of people.
There’s some really good posts on here to enable you to meet your goal; I lost 2.5 stone and now around the 10st mark (average height male). The biggest things I found critical alongside exercise:

- Will power, getting out the door to go for a run, I found is the hardest part but once I was out and started to see times drop / distances increase it is much easier.
- Substitute sweet “junk” snacks for healthy options; nuts / fruit.... (Lidl do a great balanced nut snack mix)
- I personally found a tracking watch/app a benefit because I could see my progress weekly and see the distances / times and other statistics which pushes me on (this is probably down to personality but I found it helped/helps me)
- I tried the 4/3 diet, so 3 days I have “light” meal option such as soup or salad, usually when I don’t exercise, then a regular meal on the days I exercise - I started this 2 years ago and still do it now, I now find I don’t need the food/feel hungry when I don’t burn the calories during the day.

There are lots of other ways, but one thing I don’t do is deny myself, I categorise a meal out / sweets etc as a treat and I will have these at the weekend once I have achieved the exercise for the week but I still have them.

Hope you meet your goal.
Hi, try not to feel down about it. Think positive, see it as a challenge. Dieting/healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring, and you DONT have to eat tiny portions. It’s all about the balance. I lost 6 stone in 9 months five years ago and it has stayed off! Sometimes crash dieting can work but the faster it’s done the shorter the time period for you to get used to it. Also I didn’t exercise until I lost 4.5 stone so don’t feel you have got to get a gym membership straight away as this can put too much pressure on you.
I joined a slimming group which also helped as others like you are in the same position and you can all help each other with support, meal plans and ideas etc..
I ate more and still do than I did when I was overweight, but the balance is key. I don’t know if I am allowed to give details of the group I joined but if you want to know, send me a pm
Good luck.
YOU WILL MAKE IT.
Yes it can be done my son has lost 7 stone (he done no exercise what so ever). What he done was he brought a note pad and pen and everything he eats is written down with the calories. First of he started at 2000 calories once he reach that amount of food he would not eat anymore (he is very strict with himself). He then lowered the calorie intake over a few months at a time. He is eating at the moment 1600 calories each day and his weight is stable. He also does not drink beer or soft drinks tea or coffee he has plain water. He does not have much excess skin only on his arms. It is hard to do but he stuck to it and he is like a changed person. He went to the doctors last week with a bad ear and the doctor did not recgonise him (he hadnt been for ages). My son is 28 years old. I do the food shopping and I do not buy anything that gives him temptation chocolate/crisps etc I do look for food that has low calories takes me ages.
Edited by: "princesskizzy" 29th Oct
I hate going on a treadmill even though I’m quite active so when I do I use a method that I hear a lot from distance runners and that is to not look at the 15 miles ahead, but instead make it to the first 1 mile. This goes the same for you, please don’t look at the 8stone you need to lose, keep that in the back of your head but first target losing 1 stone. You’ll be surprised how useful this advice is. Losing 8 stone is difficult but losing 1 stone is a lot easier. You said it’s a mountain to climb and mountains aren’t easy. If you haven’t got a fitness tracker watch yet may I suggest investing in one, excellent for tracking and motivates you to better yourself. Break it down into sections and let’s reach the first goal. You got this
Edited by: "jayonline85" 29th Oct
Low carb is a winner for me. I tried slimming world and weight watchers and stuck to the plans religiously and lost a lb a week if that. I Tried low carb/keto and the difference was great. I educated myself on a well balanced low carb diet eg I eat A LOT of greens not just bacon and cheese like some
Meal prep also works really well for me as the food is there and portioned our sensibility.
You tube success stories really motivated me too. Good luck lovely. You can do it x
Hey ..... The good news is, you want to lose it! My partner is a Personal Trainer for the last (god knows how many) years. If you want to share it, PM your email and I’ll ask her to email you across some advice etc. Good Luck!
Keto or fast metabolism diet
You don’t need to exercise to lose weight. Weight loss happens by going into a calorie deficit. That means you eat less than you burn though a normal day. You’re burning calories all the time. Even while sleeping.

Find you calorie intake for the day and knock 500 calories off. (It takes a couple of weeks to work this out) That will put you into a deficit that will kick start your weight loss and will teach you about counting calories at the same time. You can exercise on top of that to burn extra calories but it isn’t a requirement. (I lost around 4/5 stone before I even started exercising.) When you are not losing anymore weight (because you’re back to an even balance between calories burned vs calories consumed) either drop more calories or exercise more.

Don’t bother with fad diets like Keto. They aren’t sustainable long term and teach you absolutely nothing about portion/calorie control. You can eat what you like and lose weight just by monitoring your calorie intake. There is no need to limit your food types.
Biddy229/10/2019 10:35

You don’t need to exercise to lose weight. Weight loss happens by going i …You don’t need to exercise to lose weight. Weight loss happens by going into a calorie deficit. That means you eat less than you burn though a normal day. You’re burning calories all the time. Even while sleeping.Find you calorie intake for the day and knock 500 calories off. (It takes a couple of weeks to work this out) That will put you into a deficit that will kick start your weight loss and will teach you about counting calories at the same time. You can exercise on top of that to burn extra calories but it isn’t a requirement. (I lost around 4/5 stone before I even started exercising.) When you are not losing anymore weight (because you’re back to an even balance between calories burned vs calories consumed) either drop more calories or exercise more.Don’t bother with fad diets like Keto. They aren’t sustainable long term and teach you absolutely nothing about portion/calorie control. You can eat what you like and lose weight just by monitoring your calorie intake. There is no need to limit your food types.

My son more less done this and lost 7 stone it does take lots of time but once you know what you body needs it works also just a quick note the so called slimming foods you can buy have more calories than normal food so look at the packets
Edited by: "princesskizzy" 29th Oct
princesskizzy29/10/2019 09:32

Yes it can be done my son has lost 7 stone (he done no exercise what so …Yes it can be done my son has lost 7 stone (he done no exercise what so ever). What he done was he brought a note pad and pen and everything he eats is written down with the calories. First of he started at 2000 calories once he reach that amount of food he would not eat anymore (he is very strict with himself). He then lowered the calorie intake over a few months at a time. He is eating at the moment 1600 calories each day and his weight is stable. He also does not drink beer or soft drinks tea or coffee he has plain water. He does not have much excess skin only on his arms. It is hard to do but he stuck to it and he is like a changed person. He went to the doctors last week with a bad ear and the doctor did not recgonise him (he hadnt been for ages). My son is 28 years old. I do the food shopping and I do not buy anything that gives him temptation chocolate/crisps etc I do look for food that has low calories takes me ages.

Instead of writing everything down. I used the myfitnesspal app. You can do your diary and scan packages for the correct amount of calories. If you exercise you can add more calories to your daily intake! I Lost 15 kilos ( don't use this stone system as sounds outdated )
gcmarcal29/10/2019 11:07

Instead of writing everything down. I used the myfitnesspal app. You …Instead of writing everything down. I used the myfitnesspal app. You can do your diary and scan packages for the correct amount of calories. If you exercise you can add more calories to your daily intake! I Lost 15 kilos ( don't use this stone system as sounds outdated )

Thank you I will tell him about this app (think it might be easier for him).
princesskizzy29/10/2019 11:09

Thank you I will tell him about this app (think it might be easier for …Thank you I will tell him about this app (think it might be easier for him).

The app is fantastic. The free version is good enough. You can link to other apps that measure your steps / cycling
My wife helps me stabilizing my weight! She makes my life miserable and her terrible cooking skills make me eat less and less!
Walking is the best thing get a Fitbit, I lost 2 stone by walking to work and back and using a Fitbit to motivate me to do more steps. I also use my fitness pal to track what I eat. Good luck
so i went from 20 stone down to 11 stone (now about 12.5 stone) in a few months. I did it the way you shouldnt. Calorie counted to the point of going to bed hungry if I had indulged in calorie high snacks / alcohol) . Thats not a good way in my book.

Sure there is lots of good advice above but here is my two simple tips on the basis your weight is currently static from week to week.

- substitute out one thing per day for something less calorific but has the same effect. ie if you have a mars bar at 11, have some chocolate, but substitute it for something like a milky way or a fudge. That way your brain will get the same feeling for half the calories. Cutting it out takes will power, but shaving off a few calories helps. You might find in time you can not eat that snack, but phase it in and trick yourself Or maybe substitute it for healthier snacks or move on to another item in the day to substitute.

- do a tiny bit more exercise a day. More is better, not just for weight but health too, but build yourself up. If you walk to the office, find a route which adds 5 minutes on. Commute? Maybe take 10 minutes of your lunch going for a walk. You won't notice it, but it burns extra calories.

Between these two, you're not having to go cold turkey, not having to turn yourself into a gym fanatic or drastically changing your life. But the increments add up. If everything else stays the same it will come off. Then you can try push yourself a bit more.

PS, don't beat yourself up. This life is tough, so much hard sells on all the bad things means we can all come off the right path. Try do it because you want to, not because you feel you should.
Just start off easy, do more walking, you don't have to go to extremes, just start somewhere.

Goal setting will also help, again, start small and build on it.

Try to do a little bit more every day, if you're tired, still try to do something. You'll still be tired, but at least you will have achieved your goal! That should help you to feel better.

Don't forget to focus on your goal when you have a moment of 'weakness'.
Thank you all so very much, some great tips here and I really appreciate it.
Highly recommend Slimming World eating plan. It's great, it's working for me and I am never feeling hungry. You can eat so many good things...and not deprive yourself (unless you usually live on pizza) because you're allowed a certain amount of treats a day(syns). Here is an example of a brekkie you could have....totally free (no syns used)
38832102.jpg
Edited by: "foxykelli" 29th Oct
I'velost 13 stone mostly diet but with regular exercise
Tesco have a great diet range of food healthy living
Good luck, you have to keep plugging away at it. More exercise and making sure your food supports your nutritional needs (proteins, carbs, vitamins, minerals etc) more than the specifics of calorie counting. Keep moving, anything you can do is a great help; it doesn’t have to be anything world’s apart from where you are; just dial up your activity each week and eventually it will pay off!
I was in the same predicament. I was eating practically low fat, low sugar versions of everything that I could, cutting out on biscuits, cakes etc and getting nowhere fast. I really was on the verge of thinking 'sod it' just eat what you want, when I twisted my knee quite badly and had to see my GP. First time I had seen him and the first thing he said to me was "you need to go on a low carb diet" I did and have not looked back, getting on for 4 stone in a year and during that time I had a set back so was only losing 1Ib per week for 3 months. Back on it again and raring to go, keep at it, YOU CAN DO IT
gcmarcal29/10/2019 11:12

The app is fantastic. The free version is good enough. You can link to …The app is fantastic. The free version is good enough. You can link to other apps that measure your steps / cycling

My son said thank you very much for recommending the app he said it is just what he needed
I am telling you ,it is perfect!
Tell him that he will start scanning everything that he eats
I did a ketogenic diet and once I cracked the method the weight literally poured off me. I did also do gym very strictly though, building up to 45m only, from 15m (yes really). 5m step, 5m row, 5m bike.. no more. Uping each day by a couple mins. Do not eat peanuts! No beer. Lots of greasy washing up but lots of bacon! Woot
Get a dog, good start for exercising and not feeling like a dick. Later bit sport and my fitness pal app.
You can do it for sure. I would strongly advise seeing your doctor and asking for a referral to an evidence-based accredited Nutrition professional. There is an awful amount of bro science. For example, are those espousing Keto aware of the risk(personal) of Ketoacidosis? I wish you every luck in your journey OP!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants