Groups

89yr old man given 6yrs prison for shooting his wife, fair?

I think it is totally unfair, I hope someone does this for me

32 Comments

Original Poster

I have a close family member I have made a promise they would give me pills and drink and just leave me to it

miles136

I have a close family member I have made a promise they would give me … I have a close family member I have made a promise they would give me pills and drink and just leave me to it

promises promises X)

The judge ruled it was not a mercy killing, hence the sentence, I don't see what else he could pass

It wasn't murder though - it was manslaughter due to diminshed responsibility - with at least a significant contribution from mental health issues (Hence been sent to a hospital for now). It's most likely where he will pass away due to his age.

Edited by: "Firefly1" 25th Aug 2016

Original Poster

Agent004

The judge ruled it was not a mercy killing, hence the sentence, I don't … The judge ruled it was not a mercy killing, hence the sentence, I don't see what else he could pass

diminished response ability 2 yrs probation would have been enough

I don't know the in-and-outs of this story, but it seems as though her ill health took its toll on the man. My gran recently passed away due to dementia and my grandfather was distraught throughout her illness. He is now struggling to cope after her passing after decades of marriage and having to watch her deterioration. From life of the party she transformed to in to an inrecognisable person. I wouldn't wish this illness upon my most hated enemy. I honestly feel for this man.
    Edited by: "RossD89" 25th Aug 2016

Original Poster

it is the worst disease ever

miles136

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-36865867

Agent004

The judge ruled it was not a mercy killing, hence the sentence, I don't … The judge ruled it was not a mercy killing, hence the sentence, I don't see what else he could pass

​concurrently means His 5 and 6 are served at the same time so he will be in prison 6 years, unless you meant consecutive.

gov.uk/typ…ces

Banned

Only 6 years? Obviously not fair but considering how old he is, he's not going to last much more.

eternaldragonuk

​concurrently means His 5 and 6 are served at the same time so he will be … ​concurrently means His 5 and 6 are served at the same time so he will be in prison 6 years, unless you meant consecutive.https://www.gov.uk/types-of-prison-sentence/concurrent-and-consecutive-sentences

He'll be out in 3 less time on remand. Seems fair enough to me

miles136

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-36865867

Agent004

​Concurently is when the sentences are served at the same time so I think the total of 6 years still stands but I do agree with you that on some sentences passed they could be more consistent especially deaths caused by careless /dangerous driving

Sentence is about right, The wife didn't ask to be killed.
    I did feel sorry for him until I read the bit where he was also going to kill his sister.

Having loved someone for over 20 years and watched illness destroy everything including dementia plus having been asked by the one I loved to end our lives I know and I fully understand the heartache, the pain, the suffering and the torture that this man has gone through to a point whereby he thought the best he could do was what he did.

Nobody should judge him unless they too have suffered what he suffered. Yes it's a crime as per the law but not a crime that is understood or accepted by those that have never suffered.

His sentence is knowing he pulled the trigger to prevent any more suffering to his loved one. He is much braver than me and I have respect for him. He's from a different era where men are real men and took responsibility and action.

For me his sentence is nothing more than the normal - the justice system is screwed up. Those that continually shoplift or rob or steal cars deserve 6 years not a slap on this wrist and set free to continue their life of crime - this man needs to be free to continue his suffering because I know he's still hurting.

MILES BABY,

Would have had more sympathy for the guy if he hadn't shot her in the head in front of two other residents. Compassion yes, a brain splattered bloodbath no. That said he has lost his life long companion and no sentence will make the last of his days any easier.

Graham1979

MILES BABY,Would have had more sympathy for the guy if he hadn't shot her … MILES BABY,Would have had more sympathy for the guy if he hadn't shot her in the head in front of two other residents. Compassion yes, a brain splattered bloodbath no. That said he has lost his life long companion and no sentence will make the last of his days any easier.

Just what I was thinking, reading the op it appears miles wants someone to blow his brains out if he gets ill like this! oO
    Anyway this only highlights how humane Dignitas is, my Grandad blew his brains out with a shotgun and I wouldn't recommend it to any family member no matter how ill/desperate they are, shame on this.

The only positive is he'll have 3 meals a day and a nice warm bed.

shauneco

The only positive is he'll have 3 meals a day and a nice warm bed.

And it will cost you 80k in taxes.

Graham1979

And it will cost you 80k in taxes.

£35k pa so more than that.

stuarthanley

£35k pa so more than that.

Wow, shauneco pays a lot in taxes...

A few days into his trial for his wife's murder, new medical evidence emerged that showed Mr King was suffering from a mental health condition called paraphrenia at the time of the killing.
    Dr Philip Joseph, a consultant forensic psychiatrist, told the court Mr King's decision to shoot his wife was linked to the condition rather than any aggression or domestic issue.
    Paraphrenia is "an older person's version of schizophrenia, where people lose contact with reality", consultant psychiatrist James Warner said.
    "The core feature is falsely but firmly held delusions, which can be intensely bizarre.
    "It's different from schizophrenia because the delusions are long-standing and entrenched which can take over your whole belief system."
    Paraphrenia is often not immediately spotted, Dr Warner said, as those who have it often have no-one looking after them or are socially isolated.
    Care home manager Mrs Curtis said once his wife had moved into the home, Mr King's life had become very lonely.
    "Suddenly after 60 years of marriage, he was totally on his own. He'd go home to an empty bungalow, probably feeling it was a helpless situation.
    "He's a very private person. He wasn't ready to live in a care home but he must have been very lonely at home."

-----------------------------

I do not think he belongs in a prison.

Awful thing to happen and very distressing for other residents and staff and emergency services but this 'crime' was born of someone not in their right mind, not for financial gain and he should be treated with compassion.

A secure unit yes, but not an HMS prison.

I wonder how he would be treated in prison..

When inmates and guards know of his reasons I imagine he will be treated slightly better than most, doesn't make it OK or right but I would like to think he would be seen in a higher esteem than the average prisoner.

Original Poster

chocci

see post 14

Original Poster

airfix

Just what I was thinking, reading the op it appears miles wants someone … Just what I was thinking, reading the op it appears miles wants someone to blow his brains out if he gets ill like this! oOAnyway this only highlights how humane Dignitas is, my Grandad blew his brains out with a shotgun and I wouldn't recommend it to any family member no matter how ill/desperate they are, shame on this.

nope, just leave me with tablets and booze

miles136

see post 14

See post 15

haritori

I wonder how he would be treated in prison..When inmates and guards know … I wonder how he would be treated in prison..When inmates and guards know of his reasons I imagine he will be treated slightly better than most, doesn't make it OK or right but I would like to think he would be seen in a higher esteem than the average prisoner.

He'll hopefully be put on the high dependency or health care wing. Some prisons have a wing for OAPs which cater more for their needs.
    Staff generally understand why these sorts of crimes happen and are usually more lenient towards these criminals.
    Apart from being locked in a cell overnight, he'll probably have better treatment than a care home.

Op, are you seriously suggesting he is a candidate for care in the community? oO

He has been sentenced to six years in a psychiatric hospital.

No bingo for him for a while!

Original Poster

chocci

Op, are you seriously suggesting he is a candidate for care in the … Op, are you seriously suggesting he is a candidate for care in the community? oOHe has been sentenced to six years in a psychiatric hospital.

YES I AM, you clearly are incapable of understanding what he has gone through, and I hope you never have to go through this

miles136

YES I AM, you clearly are incapable of understanding what he has gone … YES I AM, you clearly are incapable of understanding what he has gone through, and I hope you never have to go through this

And you clearly don't understand he's mentally ill. Not withstanding the fact he had a gun which carries a five year prison sentence. Should that crime conveniently be ignored too?

Edited by: "chocci" 27th Aug 2016

chocci

How can someone who has been convicted and sentenced, go on remand?

strike

How can someone who has been convicted and sentenced, go on remand?

Any time served on remand before trial and conviction /sentencing is taken off your time. Thought that was obvious oO

6 year sentence = 3 years in reality less 8 months on remand = possible release date in 2018

Edited by: "chocci" 27th Aug 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Spotify Family Premium share715
      2. word association Game73944490
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423
      4. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1929

See more discussions