Expired

9 seater van insurance

Found 31st Mar 2016
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Renault Traffic or Vauxhall Vivaro 9 seater as need something bigger as now have 6 kids. I have been trying to find insurance but all I'm getting is Flux Direct which is going to cost me just over £1000, I've tried google and tried different web sites filling in lots and lots to get told at the end they can't do it due to being 9 seats or I need a call back, it's doing my head in lol. can anyone please help me out, if you have a 9 seater can you tell me what insurance you use or maybe a list of van insurances I can try. Thanks Dave
Community Updates
AskCar InsuranceInsurance
13 Comments
I went to a local broker did it as a commercial it had 7 seats plus wheelchair a traffic. about 300 fully comp. Adrian flux will insure anything but sometimes pricey.
can I ask when you passed driving test?
Original Poster
I passed 6 years ago plus I'm 40 this june which I thought my age would help price wise.
not 100% but think illegal to drive more than 7 seats for you if passed after 1999. could be wrong.
If you get a van that has been converted make sure you have I certificate of compliance the insurer will ask for this
Double check your driving licence entitlements. Unless you've got any additional categories then you may not legally be allowed to drive something with 9 seats, the limit for the cars category b is 8 seats.

'Cars
Category B

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).'
gov.uk/dri…ies
sparky111091

Double check your driving licence entitlements. Unless you've got any … Double check your driving licence entitlements. Unless you've got any additional categories then you may not legally be allowed to drive something with 9 seats, the limit for the cars category b is 8 seats.'CarsCategory BYou can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).'https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

​so if its 8 passenger's that would be 9 seats including the driver wouldn't it?
My personal belief is its a driver and 7 passengers, I think that's why my i800 doesn't come in the 9 or 12 seater variety they have in other countries. Might be worth checking via email with the DVLA then you'll have written proof whatever the reply.
Original Poster
Yous are right, I never even thought to check my driving licence lol, oh well now I'm on the hunt for a 8 seater now lol

Thanks all for the help
daveshop

Yous are right, I never even thought to check my driving licence lol, oh … Yous are right, I never even thought to check my driving licence lol, oh well now I'm on the hunt for a 8 seater now lolThanks all for the help

You could always still buy a 9 seat and replace the twin seat with a single. This has a couple of benefits. 1) Younger kids can see you and the road ahead. 2) You can get to the kids without getting out.

The problem with the normal 8 seater is they are generally more expensive and the benefits above are lost as they usually have the larger captain style seats. This is a bonus on longer journeys. But if you have 6 kids in the back my guess is you will be stopping often anyway!
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

You could always still buy a 9 seat and replace the twin seat with a … You could always still buy a 9 seat and replace the twin seat with a single. This has a couple of benefits. 1) Younger kids can see you and the road ahead. 2) You can get to the kids without getting out.The problem with the normal 8 seater is they are generally more expensive and the benefits above are lost as they usually have the larger captain style seats. This is a bonus on longer journeys. But if you have 6 kids in the back my guess is you will be stopping often anyway!

I never thought of that lol, I did see a couple of Renault Traffics with 8 seats which the seller must have done the same thing you said, would it not still be classed as a 9 seater with DVLA cos it's the same size etc, it's really hard finding a used 8 seat or even a 9 seater for around £7000 up here in Scotland lol
daveshop

I never thought of that lol, I did see a couple of Renault Traffics with … I never thought of that lol, I did see a couple of Renault Traffics with 8 seats which the seller must have done the same thing you said, would it not still be classed as a 9 seater with DVLA cos it's the same size etc, it's really hard finding a used 8 seat or even a 9 seater for around £7000 up here in Scotland lol

It doesn't matter what it is classed as its what your licence entitles you to drive. You could buy a 12 seat and remove 4 seats or an 18 seat and remove 10 seats. As long as it doesn't exceed 3500kg.

It was all because of too many crashes and deaths of people driving them on stag weekends and workers transporting coworkers after long shifts.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants