Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

£90 to install a new gas oven! Can I do it myself?

Posted 18th Jan 2009
Hia,

Just after some advice, I'm about to buy the Indiset K6G520XG, not the best cooker I'm sure but we are having an extension in about 3 years and will get a new fitted cooker along with that.

Anyway my question is, comet want to charge £90 to connect it up can I do this myself or should I be corgi registered? My old cooker is gas too so is it likely to be relativly easy to connect up the new one to the supply the old one runs off?

Thanks for any advice - I've never brought a cooker before this is my first house & the one we use now was left behind for us.
worto.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

56 Comments
although they are easy to fit ie bayonet fitting ,you now have to have it chained to the wall as well by law and are issued with a certificate which if you ever sold your house you would be asked for.i have removed mine several times for cleaning etc so not a problem but the certificate is the main thing.
lol my dad had a corgi/gas safe registerd guy round to connect his new cooker a bit ago, when he left there was a gas leak from it, he hadn't connected it up tight enough or something.

so in the end my dad had to do it himself !

my dad said he should have done it himself in the first place, as he new how to do it but thought he would go legit !
shootomanUK

lol my dad had a corgi/gas safe registerd guy round to connect his new … lol my dad had a corgi/gas safe registerd guy round to connect his new cooker a bit ago, when he left there was a gas leak from it, he hadn't connected it up tight enough or something.so in the end my dad had to do it himself !my dad said he should have done it himself in the first place, as he new how to do it but thought he would go legit !

Should have called the bloke back and possibly reported him.

I hope my family doesn't sleep next to these people who decide they know better and possibly blow the street up
Use someone local and not Comet
Anth2210

Use someone local and not Comet

I suspect the cooker has been fitted by now
I fitted my own oven once

16879113-BXQAR

csiman

I suspect the cooker has been fitted by now

I hope they didn't get this guy in...

dailyrecord.co.uk/new…052
[image missing]

This was me the other day... I was trying to make chips...:(

I wouldnt have minded much but i got the lowest score that week in come dine with me..
Edited by: "simplex" 13th Jan 2013
lol - I'm still here & very much not dead!

Just moved house though and have been without an internet connection for 2 weeks now

Should be back online when I'm home - the sync light came on this morning but I've not had chance to test it yet.

For completeness we got someone who was gas safe registered in the end to do it - about half the price of comet.
worto03

lol - I'm still here & very much not dead!Just moved house though and … lol - I'm still here & very much not dead!Just moved house though and have been without an internet connection for 2 weeks now :(Should be back online when I'm home - the sync light came on this morning but I've not had chance to test it yet.For completeness we got someone who was gas safe registered in the end to do it - about half the price of comet.

Worlds longest response time
greatest666

I fitted my own oven once

I'm liking the sun terrace mate. Top marks
corgi no longer exists, must be gas safe registered now, but you can search online for gas safe register and find someone in your area, ask for a quote first,
I have been reading this thread with interest and am just wondering one thing.

Is it necessary to attach the cooker to the wall ?

I am renting a flat where the cooker is free standing but other identical cookers in the same building have brackets attaching the cookers to the wall ?

Thank You
mine was attached by a chain - it's to stop somebody pulling it too far from the wall and braking the pipe or connection or whatever - as long as the chain is short enough to stop the gas pipe being pulled it'll stop you breaking anything or causing a gas leak..

If you rent it out you'll have to (or should) have a gas certificate done when a new tenant comes in - I guess they'll highlight it on that - I don't know if it's a requirement for that or not although I imagine it is - either way it's a good idea!

Ours was free standing too when this thread started although it's been so long we've moved house since and the new house has a built in one.

Edited by: "worto03" 16th Jan 2013
Thank You !

For your response.
I am actualy the tenant here.
It is a house that was divided into six flats in the 1980s
Mine is the only flat where the cooker isn't atatched to the wall.

I was just curious why.

Maybe the builders knocked off early that day X)
I've been having a bit of a read this morning (we couldn't sell the old property so we're renting it out but not had the gas cert done yet - 1st tenants move in in two weeks) and it seems it may be more to do with anti-tipping than the gas pipe - in case you put a heavy load or stand on the oven door when it's open.

Do you have a gas cert? I think it's illegal for the landlord not to get one done each year and each time a new tenant moves in.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Discussions

Top Merchants