95 per cent of Black Friday 'bargains' are actually cheaper to buy before or after the sales

Posted 26th Nov
dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

Consumer group 'Which' carried out the research and several products and companies are identified in the article.

Just because it seems like a 'hot deal' doen't necessarily mean that it is!
Community Updates

Groups

13 Comments
The folks who are on HUKD know this but the vast majority of the population doesn't. A deal is a deal only if you need something at that time or you understand its price history and can see a real deal.
People are just getting stupid over Black Friday.
Yeah but the trouble is most Black Friday sales are for Christmas presents so yeah maybe it was cheaper back in March but that doesn’t help someone buying for Christmas. The fact is on Black Friday if someone thing is on offer it’s likely to be the cheapest it’s gonna be before Christmas.
Which? run this every year. And every year it is full of inaccuracies.

They rely on price tracking websites which have flaws. They're automated and often mix up models and so-forth.

I recall last year they moaned that a Fitbit was for sale from I think it was John Lewis or Currys for £79 but that it had been £45 previously.

It never had. £79 was genuinely the cheapest it had ever been.

The issue? The price tracking website had put a replacement strap under the product listing meaning the cheapest price showed at £45.

Second they always throw in loads of tech items that have always depreciated over time - like TVs and say well 'yes it is cheap on Black Friday but we found that months after Black Friday it was reduced even more'.

No kidding. That's how cyclical tech pricing works. It gets cheaper and cheaper the older it is.

This year it seems no different. They've claimed that an Echo device was cheaper several times in the year than it is now - only problem is that was the old generation model not the new one and the new one is the cheapest it has been.

They are more interested in you subscribing than facts.
Nothing like whipping up fear over missing out a "deal".
I honestly think the hype gets bigger and bigger each year with Black Friday but I always think it's disappointing and I know many on here feel the same. It's nothing more than hype and retailers trying to shift dead stock.

This year I think Zalando has brought us some amazing offers in the Fashion Category and is definitely winning so far

hotukdeals.com/dea….uk

Footasylum had sent out emails hyping up their Black Friday offers even have a count down to launch and there absolutely nothing worth posting in my opinion. This is more like typical Black Friday hyped up non deals

footasylum.com/mob…le/
toonsquirel26/11/2019 11:45

Yeah but the trouble is most Black Friday sales are for Christmas presents …Yeah but the trouble is most Black Friday sales are for Christmas presents so yeah maybe it was cheaper back in March but that doesn’t help someone buying for Christmas. The fact is on Black Friday if someone thing is on offer it’s likely to be the cheapest it’s gonna be before Christmas.

Plenty of things get better discounts during december.
EndlessWaves26/11/2019 13:27

Plenty of things get better discounts during december.

The trouble is on Black Friday your guaranteed a lot of sales at once and if what you want is in sale it’s a risk not buying it and hoping it’ll go in a better sale within the next 3 weeks.
Thanks for the heads up, no one new this till today...
RIP Black friday 2016, the last actual black friday in UK
95% off statistics are made up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions