£999 for a boiler and installation from British Gas

Posted 20th Oct
Hello and thank you in advance for any help and advice I receive to my question.

I'm rubbish at things like this,but I'm after a new boiler with minimal fuss. Originally I planned on buying a boiler and getting a local tradesman to fit it but saw this on the local heroes website.
3312429-pXJ5Q.jpgMy question? Is this a decent boiler/offer?

Thanks.

Andy
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Dont buy this plz. This brand is so bad.

Try Worcester , valiant
40 Comments
Worcester is what you want
Dont buy this plz. This brand is so bad.

Try Worcester , valiant
Thanks.
I've got an ideal combo, works fine, about 10 years old, I've had it for 2 and never had an issue in that time. I'd probably go for something with a logger warranty though anyway.
The govt do a boiler scrappage scheme. If you're on benefits you may qualify for a grant.
Try a few quotes from a local plumber, BG are not known to be the cheapest, they do however offer great customer service at another cost through home care, 1st year is usually free.
That's pretty cheap but they will be buying them in bulk for about £449 each easy . They employ plumbers/gas fitters so labour around and overheads maybe £400 tops . Leaving small profits of £150ish . But it keeps them busy and ticking over .
They also guarantee work which is a bonus .
I can tell you a rough quote for Worcester midi for 3 bedroom house boiler swap with a local plumber .
Worcester boiler and flu kit £999-£1399
Labour £450-£600
Obviously if you choose a cheaper boiler you could save £400-£500 .
Misslovely21/10/2019 00:01

Dont buy this plz. This brand is so bad. Try Worcester , valiant

Valiant give an extended warranty which covers parts and repairs. Think its 10 years... Well worth it. Great boilers . Use checkatrade and get someone local.
davewave21/10/2019 09:43

Valiant give an extended warranty which covers parts and repairs. Think …Valiant give an extended warranty which covers parts and repairs. Think its 10 years... Well worth it. Great boilers . Use checkatrade and get someone local.

5 years I got mine on. Must be different on each boiler then. They also need service every year for the claims purposes
Misslovely21/10/2019 09:59

5 years I got mine on. Must be different on each boiler then. They also …5 years I got mine on. Must be different on each boiler then. They also need service every year for the claims purposes

VALIANT 10 YR GUARANTEE

vaillant.co.uk/for…ee/

Boost your sales with our extended guarantees
From 1st July 2018, being an Advance installer gets even better! You’ll be able to benefit from a ten-year guarantee on the ecoTEC exclusive with Green iQ and the ecoTEC plus range of boilers (up to 45kW), when they’re installed with the new Vaillant Boiler Protection Kit and registered on Advance. What’s more, our ecoTEC pro and ecoFIT pure boilers now come with a 7 year guarantee when registered on Advance too!

Our protection kit will make it even easier for you to install comfort for your customers. With our continued investment from TV advertising to more technical back up and telephone support, this is a further commitment from us to supporting your business.
Edited by: "davewave" 21st Oct
Worcester Bosch are a good buy (slightly more expensive and arguably the best boiler manufacturer on the market (source:Which? Magazine Reviews) and if you buy from Boxt.co.uk (who accept payment by credit card and guarantee on the wall next day) they give you a Worcester Bosch extended 10 year guarantee rather than 5 or 7 years and nest controls (and a google home device) in the all inclusive price. Their prices are very competitive (cheapest I have seen and I have bought 2 of these recently). £1790 all in (depending on location).

Boxt have 5 star trustpilot reviews. Get a 0% purchase or balance transfer credit card. Transfer the credit card balance to the 0% credit card for 26 months or whatever deal you can get at the moment. Then pay off the card over 26 months or keep swapping the balance.

All the extended warranties require an annual boiler service but these can be purchased for £45 per year on Wowcher or Groupon.
Ideal boilers are pants. Worcester bosch are the most common and easy to service due to availability of parts. Have a look at boxt.co.uk
paid around this price with a local company but i got a Worcester Bosch.

i would get a few quotes elsewhere first..
MattNorfolk21/10/2019 21:35

Why Worcester?

Long warranty if done by accredited installer

Very reliable

Lots parts

I’m getting one fitted soon by brother in law, he has his own boiler fitting business and told me to get one and he fits boilers all day long and swears by them.
Edited by: "ashmac" 22nd Oct
ashmac22/10/2019 11:03

Long warranty if done by accredited installer Very reliable Lots parts I’m …Long warranty if done by accredited installer Very reliable Lots parts I’m getting one fitted soon by brother in law, he has his own boiler fitting business and told me to get one and he fits boilers all day long and swears by them.

Ahh. Everyone’s different I suppose. I don’t like them.

Long warranty available with most manufacturers now. I find Worcester expensive for what they are, prefer a stainless heat exchanger and something not so awkward to repair if it does go wrong.
MattNorfolk22/10/2019 18:48

Ahh. Everyone’s different I suppose. I don’t like them. Long warranty ava …Ahh. Everyone’s different I suppose. I don’t like them. Long warranty available with most manufacturers now. I find Worcester expensive for what they are, prefer a stainless heat exchanger and something not so awkward to repair if it does go wrong.

What do you like Matt?
Mickyfinn22/10/2019 23:14

What do you like Matt?

I went for a Baxi Platinum at my own place but think I may have gone for the 600/800 if it had been more recently.
Just had a quote for this boiler but with a 10 year warranty. £1300. Why are they so bad? Do you think it's OK with a 10 Yr warranty.
dickypreston21/10/2019 15:22

paid around this price with a local company but i got a Worcester Bosch.i …paid around this price with a local company but i got a Worcester Bosch.i would get a few quotes elsewhere first..

i find this hard to believe considering a WB alone would be £850+ (retail) for their basic ones

who did it?
adamspencer9524/10/2019 15:56

i find this hard to believe considering a WB alone would be £850+ (retail) …i find this hard to believe considering a WB alone would be £850+ (retail) for their basic oneswho did it?

yes your right thinking about it was nowhere near a grand!

looking back was a local plumber / company called D V G Services (Wendesbury) was more then a grand in the end around 1800 we had the 34 CDI classic which i believe is a mid range one.

We had the boiler at cost as he had someone cancel a fitting due to unforeseen circumstances so got a good deal on it.

we was going to go with a cheaper Worcester version which was around 1500 if i recall.
Nothing wrong with Ideal Logic+ boilers. I've had mine since 2011 and it's been brilliant. In fact my local plumber was very impressed and said it was the easiest install he'd done and that his usual preferred boiler was Baxi. Ideal's past boilers were bad, but they rectified that with the new ones.
The problem is paying a grand for something with a 2 year guarantee. I suppose it's ok if you take out some kind of household insurance with boiler cover once the guarantee runs out. We have one for £50.
#1 Viessmann Combi Boilers
#2 Ideal Combi Boilers
#3 Vaillant Combi Boilers
#4 Worcester Combi Boilers

Quite surprised by Ideal and Worcester positions, but Viessmann are meant to be top notch. Obviously they are trying to sell boilers, but it's an interesting enough read.

Link
Edited by: "OllieSt" 8th Nov
Misslovely21/10/2019 00:01

Dont buy this plz. This brand is so bad. Try Worcester , valiant

Are you a heating engineer or are you just going on 1 bad experience you've had?
MonkeyMan9009/11/2019 01:10

Are you a heating engineer or are you just going on 1 bad experience …Are you a heating engineer or are you just going on 1 bad experience you've had?

Iv spent £500 on repairs on a ideal boiler and all boiler men said ideal is worst boiler to buy.
aandyr12324/10/2019 15:43

Just had a quote for this boiler but with a 10 year warranty. £1300. Why …Just had a quote for this boiler but with a 10 year warranty. £1300. Why are they so bad? Do you think it's OK with a 10 Yr warranty.

Used to be Unreliable but meant to be a lot better these days (according to which survey of installers recently)
Misslovely09/11/2019 05:49

Iv spent £500 on repairs on a ideal boiler and all boiler men said ideal …Iv spent £500 on repairs on a ideal boiler and all boiler men said ideal is worst boiler to buy.

So, one bad experience then. You've spoken to all the boiler men then lol
aandyr12324/10/2019 15:43

Just had a quote for this boiler but with a 10 year warranty. £1300. Why …Just had a quote for this boiler but with a 10 year warranty. £1300. Why are they so bad? Do you think it's OK with a 10 Yr warranty.

Depends what the warranty covers
chocci09/11/2019 06:20

So, one bad experience then. You've spoken to all the boiler men then lol

Did I say i had 1 bad experience?? I spent over £500 on it and needed repairing 2x a year and my brother had one too which also caused issues.
Just do a Google research into idea boiler reviews
Misslovely09/11/2019 08:35

Did I say i had 1 bad experience?? I spent over £500 on it and needed …Did I say i had 1 bad experience?? I spent over £500 on it and needed repairing 2x a year and my brother had one too which also caused issues. Just do a Google research into idea boiler reviews

I'll stick with which rather than 1 customer. They are top rated now.
chocci09/11/2019 09:07

I'll stick with which rather than 1 customer. They are top rated now.

Oh wow, as if you was going to trust 1 person on here anyway or as if you was going to buy 1
Misslovely09/11/2019 05:49

Iv spent £500 on repairs on a ideal boiler and all boiler men said ideal …Iv spent £500 on repairs on a ideal boiler and all boiler men said ideal is worst boiler to buy.

That's just unfortunate for you. It could have happened with a viesseman. If you do some research you'll find ideal rate higher than Worcester bosch. You can't always trust "boiler men" because a lot of them will bad mouth all other boilers apart from the ones they fit. Which they get commission on for selling.
Misslovely09/11/2019 09:20

Oh wow, as if you was going to trust 1 person on here anyway or as if you …Oh wow, as if you was going to trust 1 person on here anyway or as if you was going to buy 1

what are you on about love? more pointless drivel again
MonkeyMan9009/11/2019 10:03

That's just unfortunate for you. It could have happened with a viesseman. …That's just unfortunate for you. It could have happened with a viesseman. If you do some research you'll find ideal rate higher than Worcester bosch. You can't always trust "boiler men" because a lot of them will bad mouth all other boilers apart from the ones they fit. Which they get commission on for selling.

Spot on!
chocci09/11/2019 11:24

what are you on about love? more pointless drivel again

Pointless drivel?? You who stated you would trust which over me! Seems most of your comments are pointless anyway
Misslovely09/11/2019 11:28

Pointless drivel?? You who stated you would trust which over me! Seems …Pointless drivel?? You who stated you would trust which over me! Seems most of your comments are pointless anyway

why would I trust some weird stranger over a survey by which of over 1000 installers? You're rather special.
Come on guys. Who's going to be the bigger person here? I started this thread for a bit of advice and help, I've got it. Thank you to everyone for their comments.

Leave it out now, you two
aandyr12309/11/2019 11:59

Come on guys. Who's going to be the bigger person here? I started this …Come on guys. Who's going to be the bigger person here? I started this thread for a bit of advice and help, I've got it. Thank you to everyone for their comments. Leave it out now, you two

I was simply pointing out that the which survey last month has ideal as 2nd best, voted by over 1000 installers. Also, correcting the comment that 'all boiler men said ideal is worst boiler to buy' which is clearly nonsense. Good luck anyway.
We had this combi fitted just over 2 years ago and its been brill. The fitter gave us the option of the ideal as we requested Valliant as thats what we had fitted over 10 years ago.
We went for the ideal as it was £1200 with a 7 year warranty to valliants 28KW £1600 with a 4 year warranty.
I was worried as we had the electric shower removed and the combi runs the shower instead and its fantastic.The radiators are boiling too.
It also came with the mag filter, thermostat and lcd program panel. We have an anual service for the warranty.
A work mate had 1 fitted about a year before ours and he was impressed with his so thats another reason why we went for it. I would query the length of the warranty to see if u could get a longer 1 for peace of mind.
Go for it !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants