A 12-year-old boy died when his heart failed after he sprayed on too much deodorant

A 12-year-old boy died when his heart failed after he sprayed on too much deodorant, an inquest has been told.

Boy Died After Spraying Deodorant

Daniel Hurley, from Sandiacre, Derbyshire, was found collapsed in his bathroom by his father Robert Hurley after using Lynx Vice deodorant.

Derby Coroner's Court heard that use of the spray in a confined space led to Daniel suffering a cardiac arrhythmia.

Mr Hurley tried to revive his son but he died at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham on January 12, five days after he was found.

Mr Hurley told the inquest: "He was always putting gel on his hair and spraying deodorant and it was quite common for him to spray his clothing as well.

"The bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen and I made some tea and shouted into the bathroom to see if he was OK.

"I heard nothing so I shouted again but did not get a reply. I forced the door open and found Daniel in the bath."

Consultant pathologist Dr Andrew Hitchcock, who carried out the post mortem examination on Daniel, told the inquest there was no evidence he had abused alcohol or drugs.

Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner Dr Robert Hunter said manufacturer Unilever provided adequate warnings on cans of the deodorant that large amounts should not be used in a confined space.

He said: "It seems the presence of a volatile agent caused the cardiac arrhythmia. Daniel copiously used deodorant in the bathroom.

"I do not know how many people read the warnings about exposure awareness.

"But people need to know about the risks that these products have on the cardio-vascular system."

He recorded a verdict of accidental death


My mums already mentioned this to me. She tells me the same thing will happen to me.
Hmm.... should i be worried :thinking:

OMG, How sad, R.I.P.

Welcome to last week


Its a tragic end to a very young lads life. R.I.P

I wonder is there a warning on the back of such cans?

That's awful! How sad for his family

Sad event, such a waste and I wish his family and friends all the best.


I wonder is there a warning on the back of such cans?

Even if there is, what difference would it have made?
No one reads them, least of all 12 year olds.

How much do you think he used?

Which is why you should use roll-on.


Which is why you should use roll-on.

Oh the Huge Manatee!

I'd be surprised if he didn't explode in the crematorium with that much deodorant on! :?

awww how tragic

So Lynx is the new glue...............should have stuck to glue.................


This has happend before many years ago , but it was an adult , so consequently when I spray I remember not to breath in the mist it leaves .
Yes , tragic end of a young life .


guys he was in an enclosed room and over did it with the lynx then spent heaps of time in there after doing his hair... I know he's a kid and I feel soooo sorry to his family but this was a stupid and vain way to die...

wouldn't say stupid but it does raise the question... how much did he actually use? I'm sure there have been many people in the same position... young lad in the bathroom for ages getting ready to impress some females so there must have been a factor not being included in the public reports.

Stupid/tragic story.

This has just reminded me of a few years back, there was a story about a lynx 'container' exploding in a bathroom - after it was accidentally thrown into a hot bath...

With a guy in the bath at the time...


Girl at my school died from aerosol abuse, she was 13 that was 12 years ago.
Post a comment
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona1972
    2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846124
    3. How much would you pay for this chair?1113
    4. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2540

    See more discussions