A £200 4k monitor a good idea?

Found 11th Sep 2017
Well, I'm in a dilemma here. I was originally planning to get a ultrawide screen but then realised I don't really need it so much as I also have another screen. So I came across this 4k monitor which is shown below:
laptopsdirect.co.uk/ele…asp
I don't really know whether I should get this because I most likely won't be able to game on 4k anyways because of the limitations of my pc and not only just that, it plays at 30hz whereas the monitor itself runs on 60hz.

I was also looking at a 32 inch 1080p screen but it seems that at that size and it being a 1080p, you'll be able to see pixels easily and I hate that.

I'm a student at university who uses softwares like AutoCAD or solidworks and I've been dabbling on retouching images as I'm slightly a photographer. What do you guys recommend? My budget is about £200(+20).

Thank you very much for taking your time to read this.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

Both options sound terrible. 32" @ 1080p is, as you say, wholly unsuitable for use as a monitor. A 4K 30Hz TN monitor is flat-out terrible whether you're gaming, designing, working on photos, or anything else.

I'd suggest you go with something like a 27" 1440p IPS. It'll cost you about £80 more, but it'll be an order of magnitude better to use. uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…or/ is a good way to find a monitor at the spec and price you want to pay.

dxx8 h, 2 m ago

Both options sound terrible. 32" @ 1080p is, as you say, wholly unsuitable …Both options sound terrible. 32" @ 1080p is, as you say, wholly unsuitable for use as a monitor. A 4K 30Hz TN monitor is flat-out terrible whether you're gaming, designing, working on photos, or anything else. I'd suggest you go with something like a 27" 1440p IPS. It'll cost you about £80 more, but it'll be an order of magnitude better to use. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#H=0,61&r=256001440&W=2500,5500&p=1&sort=price&page=1 is a good way to find a monitor at the spec and price you want to pay.

The 4k monitor is 60hz.

OP - I'd suggest if you need 4k and won't game on it then this monitor will be fine, as you aren't going to find anything better at that price (most people will recommend something more expensive but you are a student, so professional quality is probably out of reach with this budget).
If you did want to game as well I'd probably keep an eye on Amazon warehouse, occasionally you can get a 144hz 1080p one for £100-150, that's what I did and to be honest I hardly ever use my 4k one anymore.

delusion2 h, 1 m ago

The 4k monitor is 60hz.OP - I'd suggest if you need 4k and won't game on …The 4k monitor is 60hz.OP - I'd suggest if you need 4k and won't game on it then this monitor will be fine, as you aren't going to find anything better at that price (most people will recommend something more expensive but you are a student, so professional quality is probably out of reach with this budget).If you did want to game as well I'd probably keep an eye on Amazon warehouse, occasionally you can get a 144hz 1080p one for £100-150, that's what I did and to be honest I hardly ever use my 4k one anymore.

30Hz according to the tech specs.

dxx11 m ago

30Hz according to the tech specs.

That will depend on the input you use (common with 4k monitors), in this case hdmi 2.0. Further comments can be found here if needed:

hotukdeals.com/dea…368

Original Poster

delusion3 h, 50 m ago

That will depend on the input you use (common with 4k monitors), in this …That will depend on the input you use (common with 4k monitors), in this case hdmi 2.0. Further comments can be found here if needed:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/electriq-28-eiq-284kmb-4k-ultra-hd-1ms-freesync-monitor-19997-laptops-direct-2695368

Thank you both for your replies. I went to the link you sent and it helped a great deal. But I am now even more confused than before. It just doesn't make total sense to me. You said this panel won't be great to play games but it does do 1440p and 1080p at 60hz. Wouldn't that be the same as getting just a 1440p from somewhere else? But with this I'm also getting a 4k display. I'm very new with the 4k thing. Do I need to use different cables to downscale from 4k on this monitor to 1440 or 1080? Or can I do it internally? When i saw this panel, I wanted to view and watch movies at 4k and game at 1440 and even that is a stretch! I'm still using a AMD 270x and I doubt I'll be able to run anything but league at 1440p. So games will be running at 1080p anyways. Please help me clear it up! Thanks!

Using a non native resolution on a 4k screen will work, but it's expected that it will not look as nice as a 1440p or 1080p screen running at their native resolutions (link).

The type of panel makes a difference too (dxx mentioned an ips panel, the one you like is tn).
Difference between the two

If you only want the 4k monitor for movies, I would suggest it's a mistake to get 4k. It's very good for productivity, it's good for gaming for some types of games if you can achieve the frame rates (not likely in any new games with a 270x, but possibly a number of older titles - think games 5 to 10 years old as long as they were well optimised).

As I said I have a budget 4k screen, I used it at 4k for some games and it looked great, however it was noticeably laggy and the frame timings actually were slightly off on some competitive games I played, I wasnt able to get the kind of scores I was used to getting. That was the same when running at a non native resolution as the monitor won't be made with gaming in mind and also no freesync, so I knew it wasn't a good option for gaming. Eventually I only used it for movies on occasion and now it's just a spare monitor that I use only when configuring my media server... Basically had a good bit of fun tinkering and trying games out, but that didn't last as I needed better performance. I'd only advise getting 4k if you need it for work or have a PC capable of getting the most out of it.

In comparison the 144hz 1080p one I paid just over £100 for (customer return), the difference for gaming is night and day.

It really depends on what you will be using it for most, but I would have a good think before parting with your money.
Edited by: "delusion" 11th Sep 2017

Original Poster

delusion4 h, 28 m ago

Using a non native resolution on a 4k screen will work, but it's expected …Using a non native resolution on a 4k screen will work, but it's expected that it will not look as nice as a 1440p or 1080p screen running at their native resolutions (link). The type of panel makes a difference too (dxx mentioned an ips panel, the one you like is tn).Difference between the twoIf you only want the 4k monitor for movies, I would suggest it's a mistake to get 4k. It's very good for productivity, it's good for gaming for some types of games if you can achieve the frame rates (not likely in any new games with a 270x, but possibly a number of older titles - think games 5 to 10 years old as long as they were well optimised).As I said I have a budget 4k screen, I used it at 4k for some games and it looked great, however it was noticeably laggy and the frame timings actually were slightly off on some competitive games I played, I wasnt able to get the kind of scores I was used to getting. That was the same when running at a non native resolution as the monitor won't be made with gaming in mind and also no freesync, so I knew it wasn't a good option for gaming. Eventually I only used it for movies on occasion and now it's just a spare monitor that I use only when configuring my media server... Basically had a good bit of fun tinkering and trying games out, but that didn't last as I needed better performance. I'd only advise getting 4k if you need it for work or have a PC capable of getting the most out of it. In comparison the 144hz 1080p one I paid just over £100 for (customer return), the difference for gaming is night and day. It really depends on what you will be using it for most, but I would have a good think before parting with your money.

Thanks for your reply. They are all too expensive. I want a decent 27 ish inch size too. I'm looking at the Amazon warehouse and I find nothing. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your input

Original Poster

delusion13 h, 32 m ago

That will depend on the input you use (common with 4k monitors), in this …That will depend on the input you use (common with 4k monitors), in this case hdmi 2.0. Further comments can be found here if needed:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/electriq-28-eiq-284kmb-4k-ultra-hd-1ms-freesync-monitor-19997-laptops-direct-2695368

What do you think about 27 or 28 inch 1080p screens? Is it too big?

Xtrykyr5 h, 43 m ago

What do you think about 27 or 28 inch 1080p screens? Is it too big?

28" feels big as a computer monitor, but the size didn't bother me. I quite liked it being that big (though my 28" was the 4k one). I'm not sure about 1080p to be honest, I've only used ones a bit smaller than that.

I just spotted the 4k monitor you like is freesync, the one I had didn't have that feature... I would try to find some more reviews on it but the fact it has that is a bonus.
Edited by: "delusion" 12th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants