Groups

a 2nd hand gamer pc question.

Hi all, following on from one of my earlier questions, my son has spotted another 2nd hand pc near us.

Any advice or comments on the following would be greatly appreciated.

Fx8350 8 core black edition

8gb ddr3

140gb ssd

1tb hd

Logic mech keyboard

Msi gaming mouse and carbon fibre mouse mat

Parts fairly new with gfx and chip bought in Feb

Thoughts

18 Comments

Does it have a graphics card or not?

If there's no graphics card then it's not gonna run any games.

Original Poster

Sorry my mistake,
    It has a 980ti 6gb gfx card.
    And is asking 625
    Edited by: "GrassSnakeUK" 11th May

Good gpu but not sure the pc is worth 625 as the cpu is pretty lack luster performance wise and is beat out in games by the £60 g4560

youtube.com/wat…32I

the 8350 is a nice cpu but outdated. Build your own amd ryzen PC, or look for an i7 PC, 3770k, 4790k, 6700k. I'm selling my i7 3770k so I can build AMD ryzen r5 1600 PC. If you have 1080p monitor, rx480 or gtx 1060 is enough. 980ti is a very nice GPU, but 1070 is even better, consumes less energy.

I reckon a 8350 would probably be a bottleneck too in most games so the 980ti would be overkill by far

Bad CPU really, got an old machine here minus GPU/storage can sell you for 250 much better than the components in that, feel free to pm me we spoke before.

Original Poster

Hi all, firstly thanks for the replies.
    As I said in my previous post I'm 15 years out of date with pcs so the details and numbers escape me.

My son has told me he is willing to accept 575? Is this a more reasonable and realistic price.... or is the pc a bit of a lemon and not worth a punt?
    Thanks again.

GrassSnakeUK

Hi all, firstly thanks for the replies. As I said in my previous post I'm … Hi all, firstly thanks for the replies. As I said in my previous post I'm 15 years out of date with pcs so the details and numbers escape me. My son has told me he is willing to accept 575? Is this a more reasonable and realistic price.... or is the pc a bit of a lemon and not worth a punt?Thanks again.

Honestly not worth it. The CPU and mobo combo is the deal breaker, don't waste your money.

The cpu is really poor the gpu is the only good point I would give it a miss unless you can knock off another 75 at least.

That 8350 would need to be overclocked to run 980ti, or it would bottleneck? I would check if it has and then if it's been cooled correctly or you could be buying someone's soon to be broken pc

Original Poster

Thanks again,
    I will ask him to take a look at your replies...
    It's a mine field for me as it is his own money and he wants to make his own decisions but I want him to make a good choice.

It depends really. at £575 espeically consider all the extras thrown in , you wont find a better performing gaming PC. but you pretty much need to replace everything next time you want to upgrade. It will play every game on 1080 at 60fps and above. especially if you overclock the cpu.

Get him to look at CEX for prices of components and to use game-debate.com/ to compare parts. For £500 you could build a pretty awesome PC with second-hand parts or even one of their prebuilts. I got my 4770k and my GTX 980ti from cex and the cpu is just over 2 years old now and working fine and whilst my 980ti was mailed in poor packaging its working perfectly

Compared To any prebuilts you'll find in PC world it's a beast even for the Price tag

databar

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-z1-intel-i5-6400-3.3ghz-gtx-1060-6gb-ddr5-vr-gaming-pc.html

​no OS add another £50+
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick22

See more discussions