****A bit of Advise needed on laying floor Tiles ***

22 replies
Found 28th Aug 2009
hello uou lovely hukd'ers :-)

thinking of getting some Ceramic Floor tiles for the bathroom... What else would I need to buy apart from the adhesive and grout...
for example will I be able to just lay them direct onto the floor boards or do i need to buy something that will go on top of the floorboards before laying the tiles...

Thanks in advance peeps ;-)

21 Comments

You cant lay them directly hun, they need to be on top of ply or something of a certain thickness, pretty difficult as you'll need to have tile cutter and do the finicky things and I definitely wouldn't attempt unless you know what you're doing xx

Original Poster

so I need this then

To lay tiles on a wooden floor the wooden floor must be strengthened with 13mm thick plywood. For the best results choose a tile adhesive that is suited to the surface that you are laying the tiles on.

So I just put the ply board on top of the floor boards then ?:?

Original Poster

snowflake;6146454

You cant lay them directly hun, they need to be on top of ply or … You cant lay them directly hun, they need to be on top of ply or something of a certain thickness, pretty difficult as you'll need to have tile cutter and do the finicky things and I definitely wouldn't attempt unless you know what you're doing xx

I have tiled the bathroom walls before so ok at cutting the tiles thats not a problem

frollickingfrill;6146464

so I need this then To lay tiles on a wooden floor the wooden floor must … so I need this then To lay tiles on a wooden floor the wooden floor must be strengthened with 13mm thick plywood. For the best results choose a tile adhesive that is suited to the surface that you are laying the tiles on.So I just put the ply board on top of the floor boards then ?:?

They will need to be screwed down well so no movement and you will need a flexible adhesive ,

i had to do soem tiling in my bathroom recently, it was awesome, my dad picked up a diamond circular saw thingywy, it was like a warm knife through butter :lol:

frollickingfrill;6146464

so I need this then To lay tiles on a wooden floor the wooden floor must … so I need this then To lay tiles on a wooden floor the wooden floor must be strengthened with 13mm thick plywood. For the best results choose a tile adhesive that is suited to the surface that you are laying the tiles on.So I just put the ply board on top of the floor boards then ?:?

Yes because a solid base is what is required and 13mm ply will not flex and crack the joints

Just lay with a mastic glue like no more nails or similar.

Original Poster

micoo;6146496

i had to do soem tiling in my bathroom recently, it was awesome, my dad … i had to do soem tiling in my bathroom recently, it was awesome, my dad picked up a diamond circular saw thingywy, it was like a warm knife through butter :lol:

Where you live microo :whistling:

frollickingfrill;6146528

Where you live microo :whistling:

dundee :lol:

You can hire tile cutters but I would buy new as they are quite cheap and have not been abused:)
screwfix.com/pro…ter

also hire/buy a jigsaw for cutting the ply into shape:thumbsup:

Original Poster

This is all sounding like going to be an expensive job and a lot of work:? think I might leave it for now, Will make do with the laminated floor that got down already :roll:

frollickingfrill;6146716

This is all sounding like going to be an expensive job and a lot of … This is all sounding like going to be an expensive job and a lot of work:? think I might leave it for now, Will make do with the laminated floor that got down already :roll:

:w00t::w00t: i was gonna say it could be expensive but didnt like,,,maybe cheaper getting someone in to do it for you:thumbsup:

use the flooring adhesive made for wooden floors about £20 a tub. you can go directly on the floorboards if you want to. as for cutting round the toilet, i would take the toilet off then tile, same with the sink pedastal. would ony take a few hours and not that expensive. stick the loo back down with gripfill as its a a pain trying to drill into ceramic floor tiles!...job done

Who is floor Tiles...........?

We had ours done professionally and they still cracked - getting some kind of flexible tiles would be much better.

tigerallstars;6147810

LOL Neatly sums up HUKD :w00t:

Banned

mikebike;6146524

Yes because a solid base is what is required and 13mm ply will not flex … Yes because a solid base is what is required and 13mm ply will not flex and crack the joints Just lay with a mastic glue like no more nails or similar.

I certainly wouldnt glue it down in case you need the floorboards up for a leak etc

screw the MARINE plywood down

bear in mind you will probably have a slight step going into the bathroom now.

and get an electric circular cutter as the manual ones are useless.

and lift up the toilet / sink etc rather than cutting around them

Original Poster

tigerallstars;6147810

i might of known you would say something like that :roll: Might end up being you now your "single" :whistling:
WoolyM;6150070

LOL Neatly sums up HUKD :w00t:

+1:-D

Original Poster

tdogg;6147637

use the flooring adhesive made for wooden floors about £20 a tub. you can … use the flooring adhesive made for wooden floors about £20 a tub. you can go directly on the floorboards if you want to. as for cutting round the toilet, i would take the toilet off then tile, same with the sink pedastal. would ony take a few hours and not that expensive. stick the loo back down with gripfill as its a a pain trying to drill into ceramic floor tiles!...job done

doogan9;6149921

We had ours done professionally and they still cracked - getting some … We had ours done professionally and they still cracked - getting some kind of flexible tiles would be much better.

csiman;6151359

I certainly wouldnt glue it down in case you need the floorboards up for … I certainly wouldnt glue it down in case you need the floorboards up for a leak etcscrew the MARINE plywood downbear in mind you will probably have a slight step going into the bathroom now.and get an electric circular cutter as the manual ones are useless.and lift up the toilet / sink etc rather than cutting around them

This is all scaring me now :?... I was just thinking the tiles were cheap on fleabay so had the idea to do both bathrooms both I didn't realise how complicated and expensive it was going to be :?

Banned

frollickingfrill;6151937

This is all scaring me now :?... I was just thinking the tiles were cheap … This is all scaring me now :?... I was just thinking the tiles were cheap on fleabay so had the idea to do both bathrooms both I didn't realise how complicated and expensive it was going to be :?

its not complicated. just time consuming

for 2 bathrooms

electric cutter will be about £40 and 2 x £20 tubs of adhesive

marine ply will be another £40 i reckon

bag of grout - £15

not that expensive either if you have the tiles
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823