A bunch of external drives and some type of USB NAS.

Posted 15th Jan
Hi.
I would consider myself nimble with tech, so hopefully will be able to keep up to speed.
I have previously used small retail NAS units as well as shares and extended share folders within a Windows environment. However, I have 4 or 5 largish external HDD's (USB). Is there a device out there that is basically a NAS without the storage bays, just a USB hub type of thing that I can just plug all these drives into?
I realise its not elegant, and i could buy an USFF PC or a multiple bay NAS, but I'm just looking for something quick and easy to share media around the house.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
USB socket on decent ISP router / 3rd party router will satisfy your USB HDD when "just looking for something quick and easy to share media around the house."
Standalone file/storage servers designed to work with USB drives do exist, although they've never been very mainstream so I'm not sure what the quality of their implementation is like.

For example TP-Link's TL-PS310U:
tp-link.com/uk/…0u/

Although that will be Samba/FTP, are you after media-specific protocols (DLNA etc.)?
Thanks for the repsonse.
Yes, DNLA.
The Raspberry Pi 4 is not too bad for this kind of thing, and you can just plug a USB hub into it if you need more than four USB 3.0 ports. Not quite as easy to set up as a dedicate consumer NAS device, of course, but conversely, that's what can make it a more powerful alternative - install whatever you want on it, get it to automate your backups, act as a DNLA server, encode stuff, all while using very little energy and being silent.
AndyRoyd15/01/2020 15:50

USB socket on decent ISP router / 3rd party router will satisfy your USB …USB socket on decent ISP router / 3rd party router will satisfy your USB HDD when "just looking for something quick and easy to share media around the house."

Was looking to access a minimum of 3 or 3 drives.
paul_merton15/01/2020 19:38

The Raspberry Pi 4 is not too bad for this kind of thing, and you can just …The Raspberry Pi 4 is not too bad for this kind of thing, and you can just plug a USB hub into it if you need more than four USB 3.0 ports. Not quite as easy to set up as a dedicate consumer NAS device, of course, but conversely, that's what can make it a more powerful alternative - install whatever you want on it, get it to automate your backups, act as a DNLA server, encode stuff, all while using very little energy and being silent.

I had a first gen Pi for a while, so I understand this has potential. Was ideally looking for a plug n play device, if such a thing existed. If theres nothing out there, i'll most likely go with an USFF PC.
steveex15/01/2020 23:20

Was looking to access a minimum of 3 or 3 drives.

Don't know how many multiples of TB you have across 3 - 4 drives but presumably a requirement to have permanent access to a such an implied vast dataset of media demands a reasonably capable NAS rather than casual solution; otherwise connect one drive to router USB and copy to / from as required.
get pi 3 or 4 (usb 3) and install OMV. openmediavault is free and good nas os. easy and do as media server with plex, emby jellyfin or even dlna.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions