A cheap gps mobile to use as a sat nav.

Found 27th Aug 2017
Hello, can I get any advice on a cheap good quality mobile, that I can run Here Drive on to use as a sat nav please? I have an Iphone 6 and my husband has a Lumia but they both heat up when using Here Drive, so we thought to buy a standalone mobile for this purpose. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
I think you'll find they all heat up if used for a long time as a satnav. A SatNav would still be your best option, and cheaper, if you're talking about using it in a car rather than walking.
I haven't used Here Drive, but I use navigator (free sat nav app, and brilliant). I use it on my tablet -bigger screen to see. Tablet doesn't heat up at all. Got a cheap tablet to try? Can buy a cheap one for £25 on ebay. Doesn't need a great spec to run a sat nav.

play.google.com/sto…tor
Edited by: "mrty" 27th Aug 2017
I heard that using a satnav and touching the screen on your phone whilst driving carries the same penalty as using your mobile phone (i.e £200 fine!)
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Aug 2017
chocci20 m ago

I heard that using a satnav and touching the screen on your phone whilst …I heard that using a satnav and touching the screen on your phone whilst driving carries the same penalty as using your mobile phone (i.e £200 fine!)

chocci29 m ago

I heard that using a satnav and touching the screen on your phone whilst …I heard that using a satnav and touching the screen on your phone whilst driving carries the same penalty as using your mobile phone (i.e £200 fine!)

Yep, if you using the Mobile in SatNav mode then your using the phone is how they see it.
chocci46 m ago

What about ecigs? They're electrical devices.
Copied from RAC website.

It is no excuse to say you’re simply following the mapping on your hand-held device. The mobile phone law specifically refers to this, stating it is illegal to use a hand-held mobile to follow a map.

If you wish to use smartphone navigation or a mapping app, fix the phone to the windscreen or dashboard, so it’s in clear view for use while driving, without requiring you to hold it. This is, for example, what many private hire and taxi drivers do.
Thanks all for the info, greatly appreciated.
mrty5 h, 48 m ago

What about ecigs? They're electrical devices.

The act of using an e-cig is not illegal, BUT it can be deemed as careless (or even dangerous) driving, as can eating an apple etc whilst driving....

Not classed the same as using a mobile phone.
Predikuesi14 h, 58 m ago

I think you'll find they all heat up if used for a long time as a satnav. …I think you'll find they all heat up if used for a long time as a satnav. A SatNav would still be your best option, and cheaper, if you're talking about using it in a car rather than walking.

What satnav is cheaper than basic mobile phone with a satnav ?
I have nexus 5 (can get it for around 50 quid) with three sim (200mb of data a month for free) and use Waze ... No satnav will give me this capabilities for the price
mattsk18 h, 21 m ago

What satnav is cheaper than basic mobile phone with a satnav ?I have nexus …What satnav is cheaper than basic mobile phone with a satnav ?I have nexus 5 (can get it for around 50 quid) with three sim (200mb of data a month for free) and use Waze ... No satnav will give me this capabilities for the price

Have you got a link please?
Use google maps it changes the route and monitors traffic to give you the fastest route
ding16 m ago

Use google maps it changes the route and monitors traffic to give you the …Use google maps it changes the route and monitors traffic to give you the fastest route

better off with waze (also owned by google )
mattmerch1 m ago

better off with waze (also owned by google )

Used to use waze I'll give it another try
Will kindle fire 7 work for a tablet or should i buy an android tablet. I am not tech savvy but trying to work up thge courage to root my kindle and turn it into android. All suggestions are welcome.
aishakhan89438 m ago

Will kindle fire 7 work for a tablet or should i buy an android tablet. I …Will kindle fire 7 work for a tablet or should i buy an android tablet. I am not tech savvy but trying to work up thge courage to root my kindle and turn it into android. All suggestions are welcome.

don't bother building up the huge courage to root your kindle it has no gps

its a 20 minute job to stick playstore on fire 7 so many walkthroughs on the ytube

Edited by: "Infractionboi" 28th Aug 2017
Thanks, I did build up the courage and didn't root it but just downloaded some files and got play store in 10 minutes flat. There after I spent a stupid amount of time (3 hours) trying to get location services sorted on here maps to only find out via your comment there is no gps. I feel relieved that I didn't do anything wrong and at the same time feel like an idiot for wasting so much time.
mrty27th Aug

I haven't used Here Drive, but I use navigator (free sat nav app, and …I haven't used Here Drive, but I use navigator (free sat nav app, and brilliant). I use it on my tablet -bigger screen to see. Tablet doesn't heat up at all. Got a cheap tablet to try? Can buy a cheap one for £25 on ebay. Doesn't need a great spec to run a sat nav.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator

I have looked on eBay can't seem to find a tablet at this price, a link would be helpful please and thank you to all who commented.
Scott £30 now, on Amazon prime. You don't need a lot of ram or memory to use as a sat nav.
mrty7 h, 38 m ago

Scott £30 now, on Amazon prime. You don't need a lot of ram or memory to …Scott £30 now, on Amazon prime. You don't need a lot of ram or memory to use as a sat nav.

thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants