a chess set with decent weighted piece?

Posted 2nd Nov
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Whats your budget? Some sets go for as much as 8k. Regencychess.co.uk arent expensive and you pick out the pieces and board yourself. Piece weight and size on the website as well.
Would need to know budget...chess player myself here also.
cecilmcroberts02/11/2019 18:24

Would need to know budget...chess player myself here also.

Not too expensive. Maybe up to 50 quid. Would be happy with a vinyl "board" to start with.
if you mean metallic chess pieces then they are very expensive and so your £50 budget is quite low. for that budget you will need to look at wooden chess pieces. there are lots for sale on gumtree and ebay that are second hand and they may be better value than buying a new set.
mutley102/11/2019 19:07

if you mean metallic chess pieces then they are very expensive and so your …if you mean metallic chess pieces then they are very expensive and so your £50 budget is quite low. for that budget you will need to look at wooden chess pieces. there are lots for sale on gumtree and ebay that are second hand and they may be better value than buying a new set.

Metallic? I though most were wood or plastic, with metal weights in the bases?
Take a look around for "Staunton Chess Pieces" try Amazon and also up wiki for the same term. More or less get used to what would be the norm for tournaments and clubs.
If you need any other advice fire me through a PM though heading out and will reply tomorrow. Active club and country player (IM rated).
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 2nd Nov
mccririck02/11/2019 19:09

Metallic? I though most were wood or plastic, with metal weights in the …Metallic? I though most were wood or plastic, with metal weights in the bases?

most chess pieces are made of wood with felt at the base so it softens the landing (landing may not be the appropriate term but you know what i mean). metallic chess pieces are also common but they are expensive as they have to be painted. we just sold a set recently as my husband has lots of chess sets that we don't need so i have managed to persuade him to flog them. chess pieces that are made of glass are also available but again they are quite expensive.

strangely enough the professionals use plastic chess pieces as when hubby plays at the chess club, they use plastic chess pieces on a vinyl board.
mutley102/11/2019 19:13

most chess pieces are made of wood with felt at the base so it softens the …most chess pieces are made of wood with felt at the base so it softens the landing (landing may not be the appropriate term but you know what i mean). metallic chess pieces are also common but they are expensive as they have to be painted. we just sold a set recently as my husband has lots of chess sets that we don't need so i have managed to persuade him to flog them. chess pieces that are made of glass are also available but again they are quite expensive.strangely enough the professionals use plastic chess pieces as when hubby plays at the chess club, they use plastic chess pieces on a vinyl board.

Metal and glass are not really sets you would use every day. They're more decorative and ornamental.
mccririck02/11/2019 19:16

Metal and glass are not really sets you would use every day. They're more …Metal and glass are not really sets you would use every day. They're more decorative and ornamental.

which is why most chess pieces are made of wood as they are the most popular. hubby has several of those. not sure why you would ever need more than one but he has several and he never plays with any of them! he only plays with the plastic pieces and they are the most practical for regular games.
mutley102/11/2019 19:19

which is why most chess pieces are made of wood as they are the most …which is why most chess pieces are made of wood as they are the most popular. hubby has several of those. not sure why you would ever need more than one but he has several and he never plays with any of them! he only plays with the plastic pieces and they are the most practical for regular games.

Yes I wouldn't mind a plastic set. It's to teach my daughters.
mccririck02/11/2019 19:26

Yes I wouldn't mind a plastic set. It's to teach my daughters.

we have both functional and decorative chess sets and we have sold a few decorative ones. i found that the people who bought the decorative ones have bought them for their children to get them into chess as the kids love the look of the chess pieces and so are more likely to take an interest in them.
mutley102/11/2019 20:13

we have both functional and decorative chess sets and we have sold a few …we have both functional and decorative chess sets and we have sold a few decorative ones. i found that the people who bought the decorative ones have bought them for their children to get them into chess as the kids love the look of the chess pieces and so are more likely to take an interest in them.

I'm not convinced. Children find the normal pieces interesting and less distracting.
mccririck02/11/2019 20:16

I'm not convinced. Children find the normal pieces interesting and less …I'm not convinced. Children find the normal pieces interesting and less distracting.

i wouldn't know to be honest as i don't know much about children but that's the people who bought them said they bought them for as the chess pieces look pretty and so the kids will think of them as playing with soldiers and dolls.

as a child, i think i would have taken interest in the pretty pieces as i remember chess being taught at school and i had no interest in it as the pieces were very plain, they were tubular pieces rather than the traditional chess pieces and they made the game look very boring to someone who has never played before, whereas the other children's games looked more interesting as the pieces looked more entertaining.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants