Groups

A couple have launched a crowdfunder in a bid to raise £7,000 to have a baby.

Banned
    https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/ad_234063980.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&strip=all

Chelsea and Sarah Cruickshank from Southbank in London, are hoping to raise the four-figure sum to fund private artificial insemination treatment.

Chelsea, 25, said that the couple launched the appeal as they ‘just want to have a child like any other couple’ – but cannot afford the treatment to do so.
    She claims that she has been trying to get free help on the NHS for six years.
    The couple want a procedure called intrauterine insemination (IUI), which uses a sperm donor.

Chelsea said: ‘A lot of people say GoFundMe shouldn’t be used to raise money to have a baby, but you have to start somewhere.
    ‘I find it unfair that a lot of gay people have to pay for it – having a baby is a human right.’

The couple claim that most have been supportive of the appeal, however they have received several messages of abuse.

‘I’m very thick skinned and I’ve tried saving up to pay for this myself, but it is hard. When you get hit by a bill, you have to put that first and I’m on benefits so I only get so much.’

£160 raised so far
    https://www.gofundme.com/chelsea-and-sarahs-baby-journey

What a couple of spongers!!

188 Comments

That's very decent of you to try to help this needy couple by publicising their appeal. Your support should win you a lot of friends in the LGBT community.

I never had you down as being so liberally minded and I feel a little embarrassed now at having so badly misjudged you.
    Edited by: "RonChew" 8th Feb

wow that's some wallpaper

"Having a baby is a human right"??? Not if you don't have the equipment to make one it isn't! M

Original Poster Banned

RonChew

That's very decent of you to try to help this needy couple by publicising … That's very decent of you to try to help this needy couple by publicising their appeal. Your support should win you a lot of friends in the LGBT community. I never had you down as being so liberally minded and I feel a little embarrassed now at having so badly misjudged you.

If you can't afford that then how can you afford to look after kids? Would it not be better waiting a few years until you are in a much more stable financial position? £7,000 is a lot but a kid costs more. Not having any sort of dig Ron and this is nothing to do with being gay, I would say the same about any couple.

so they can't afford IVF, what are they going to do to fund the child's upbringing.
    according to the press, they have been trying to get it funded from the NHS for 6 years.
    if they do succeed , what a great story for the kid.

Couple of spongers?? People have to donate. FFS scotch post something good!!

cant afford ivf = can't afford to give the child the security that it will need in its life. Also baby's aren't a human right by any means, maybe a human imperative but it's a ridiculous argument to claim it as a right. if your that sure then foster or adopt but chances are the council will turn them down based on income requirements.

Original Poster Banned

dalecool92

Couple of spongers?? People have to donate. FFS scotch post something … Couple of spongers?? People have to donate. FFS scotch post something good!!

davewave

they live on the South Bank, move and they can afford 7k

Might be a council flat

But we can not make babe

The issue here is crowdfunding is great, as one off issue that is a fine way to raise money.

Babies, cancer treatment, fixing pot holes in your neighbourhood....these are issues, where there a lot of people where you are better of taking a stand and getting government policy changed. Getting people to pay for you to side step problems does not really help the country as a whole move forward.

groenleader

The issue here is crowdfunding is great, as one off issue that is a fine … The issue here is crowdfunding is great, as one off issue that is a fine way to raise money.Babies, cancer treatment, fixing pot holes in your neighbourhood....these are issues, where there a lot of people where you are better of taking a stand and getting government policy changed. Getting people to pay for you to side step problems does not really help the country as a whole move forward.

Charity predates governmental provisions by a very long time.

Error440

Charity predates governmental provisions by a very long time.

Policy change makes a difference for everyone, not just those lucky enough to get a hand out! You will have us looking like American before long!
    Edited by: "groenleader" 8th Feb

If they can't afford to save £150 each a month over a couple of years so they could afford the treatment, how are they going to afford bringing up the baby?

Also, they live in the Southbank, property prices start at £500K for the worst 1 bedroom flat, they couldn't get a secured loan or add £7k to an existing mortgage?

if this was a heterosexual couple, they would be slated. they have wanted a baby since there late teens, they can't manage to save £2100 in 6 years, the child will be brought up by parents reliant on benefits topping up their one small salary. ridiculous.

MrScotchBonnet

If you can't afford that then how can you afford to look after kids? … If you can't afford that then how can you afford to look after kids? Would it not be better waiting a few years until you are in a much more stable financial position? £7,000 is a lot but a kid costs more. Not having any sort of dig Ron and this is nothing to do with being gay, I would say the same about any couple.

I don't really have a particular view on the rights or wrongs of what this couple are doing. But, if they want to appeal for money to fund what they want then it's up to them.

Personally, I won't be donating because I believe that there are far more worthy causes for my charity. Other people will feel differently and some may well think that this is a cause worth supporting.

You are, it seems unwittingly, helping their appeal by making this thread as, at the very least, more people will become aware of it. It's another case of there being no such thing as bad publicity.

shadey12

so they can't afford IVF, what are they going to do to fund the child's … so they can't afford IVF, what are they going to do to fund the child's upbringing.according to the press, they have been trying to get it funded from the NHS for 6 years.if they do succeed , what a great story for the kid.

Another gofundme page maybe ?

Don't want to benefit bash but seriously oO

Original Poster Banned

RonChew

I don't really have a particular view on the rights or wrongs of what … I don't really have a particular view on the rights or wrongs of what this couple are doing. But, if they want to appeal for money to fund what they want then it's up to them. Personally, I won't be donating because I believe that there are far more worthy causes for my charity. Other people will feel differently and some may well think that this is a cause worth supporting. You are, it seems unwittingly, helping their appeal by making this thread as, at the very least, more people will become aware of it. It's another case of there being no such thing as bad publicity.

If they go on to break the 7k target because of this thread I will be delighted for them.

Looks like two blokes to me?

instead of spending their time on crowd funding websites, maybe they should be looking for work instead. I'm all for helping people in need, but these people are asking for handouts for a want, not a need. If I want something I work hard and save for it. there are much more worthy and deserving causes in my opinion.

Error440

Might be a council flat

​airbnb it

Sorry girls you'll be getting no money off me . A child is for life , not just a cute baby to play with . Are you going to "crowd fund " the rest of its life ,its education and the nannies you'll need to look after it when you get bored with it and it interferes with your life style ?

Not having a go at this pair in particular , I would feel the same about any prospective parents who haven't fully thought it through

MrScotchBonnet

If they go on to break the 7k target because of this thread I will be … If they go on to break the 7k target because of this thread I will be delighted for them.

I very much doubt it - maybe they'll make 7p if they are lucky

Original Poster Banned

How does Gofundme work anyway? is it possible to just get the money paid to do? they could potentially change their mind and keep the money raised?

Why not get jobs like the rest of us and then decide if you can afford kids, one of them has hands like shovels, maybe a career in construction ?

rogparki

Are you going to "crowd fund " the rest of its life ,its education and … Are you going to "crowd fund " the rest of its life ,its education and the nannies you'll need to look after it when you get bored with it and it interferes with your life style ?

Why do you assume that this couple would become bored of their child? Also, as they have been trying for a baby for the past 6 years I'm sure that they are prepared for the change to their "lifestyle".
    Edited by: "RossD89" 8th Feb

RossD89

Why do you assume that this couple would become bored of their child? … Why do you assume that this couple would become bored of their child? Also, as they have been trying for a baby for the past 6 years I'm sure that they are prepared for the change to their "lifestyle".

not prepared enough ​in 6 years to save a little over £6 a week for that period though.

shadey12

not prepared enough ​in 6 years to save a little over £6 a week for that p … not prepared enough ​in 6 years to save a little over £6 a week for that period though.

A little over? Nearly 4 times as much... roughly £23 per week over 6 years.

airfix

Why not get jobs like the rest of us and then decide if you can afford … Why not get jobs like the rest of us and then decide if you can afford kids, one of them has hands like shovels, maybe a career in construction ?

What a lovely 'man' you are.

Rich069

Looks like two blokes to me?

They wouldn't be able to make a baby either......

MrScotchBonnet

How does Gofundme work anyway? is it possible to just get the money paid … How does Gofundme work anyway? is it possible to just get the money paid to do? they could potentially change their mind and keep the money raised?

Yes, they could, they potentially change their mind when they withdraw the money and not stick to the original intention for crowd sourcing money.

Or if the cause isn't run by the people who need the money the one running the campaign can run off with it.

Last time I read Gofundme T&C their "guarantee" only applied to Canadians and Americans, so if the above cases happened they would refund but it didn't apply to the UK.

So if what they did with the donations was grossly disagreeable Gofundme would do nothing and you'd be left hoping you could find other donators who disagreed with the change so you could collective seek recourse through civil ways which would be almost impossible unless it annoyed a lot of people.

Doing a quick mobile search still suggests the same.

gofundme.com/gua…icy

1 “Covered Campaign” means active campaigns in good standing started aft … 1 “Covered Campaign” means active campaigns in good standing started after October 3, 2016, in the United States or Canada by a U.S. or Canadian resident where the ultimate recipient of the campaign funds is also a U.S. or Canadian resident.

But on mobile it's very difficult to get the site to stick to their Uk subdomain

Edited by: "Gynx" 8th Feb

Poster "girls" for the LGBT community , I'm sure they will get their funding from that community as thanks for the publicity they have created . Don't really think they need any more help by publicising on here I'm Out !..... To be fair I was never "In" .... I have many faults but gullibility isn't one of them .

Edited by: "rogparki" 8th Feb

They're on benefits right? It is what it is, however, aside from the human right to have a child when you don't have the equipment or funds, the question becomes:

If they raise the £7000 should the funds be allowed, or rather, would it be moral to use the funds in a way to bring a child into the lives of a couple who cannot afford basic living without help?

I'm all for LBGT rights, but wouldn't want to support 'a right' to produce children at the tax payers expense. Would it be right to fund production of a child for this couple and by way of supporting their plea, add years of payments from the taxpayers purse? Millions do it naturally and take funds to raise the children already (various child related benefits).

So my main question, I guess: Are gays who do not have the 'right equipment' to conceive naturally entitled to funded artificial means of bearing a child? If being gay is not a choice and rights are protected in law, do benefit claiming gays have the same right to produce children as straight benefit claiming couples? Albeit the £7000 difference in additional funds required. (Straight benefit claiming couple want a child, issues arise, NHS helps costing £XXXX?)

shadey12

not prepared enough ​in 6 years to save a little over £6 a week for that p … not prepared enough ​in 6 years to save a little over £6 a week for that period though.

Possibly because they are having to compete with below minimum wage Eastern Europeans for jobs and simply don't earn enough. Surely you, of all people, must have some sympathy for their plight? Or do you have some particular prejudice against people who are, in some way, different to you?

abigsmurf

If they can't afford to save £150 each a month over a couple of years so … If they can't afford to save £150 each a month over a couple of years so they could afford the treatment, how are they going to afford bringing up the baby?Also, they live in the Southbank, property prices start at £500K for the worst 1 bedroom flat, they couldn't get a secured loan or add £7k to an existing mortgage?

I doubt they own the house.....

rogparki

Poster "girls" for the LGBT community , I'm sure they will get their … Poster "girls" for the LGBT community , I'm sure they will get their funding from that community as thanks for the publicity they have created . Don't really think they need any more help by publicising on here I'm Out !

I doubt they're anymore poster 'girls' for the LGBT community than you are a poster 'man' for the straight community.

Look I don't agree with what they're doing but it's their choice to do this. Taking pops at their appearance or impugning the LGBT community is classless though and the sign of a poor upbringing by bad parents....in my opinion.

They should go out and get a job ( Not painting or decorating, See the gloss on the window lol ), save money for IVF themselves.

Or surely they'll have some male friends or be able to find a donator and pay them a small fee, I'd donate mine for £20.
    Only a couple of quid for a turkey baster.

RossD89

Why do you assume that this couple would become bored of their child? … Why do you assume that this couple would become bored of their child? Also, as they have been trying for a baby for the past 6 years I'm sure that they are prepared for the change to their "lifestyle".

They have been trying to get it funded for free for the past 6 years. I'm sure if they wanted it that much, they could have saved the money in that time. If the story said 'They have been trying for x amount of years, saved up and invested x amount of pounds without success, then I would have more sympathy. The fact that the girl is 25, and has been trying to have this treatment for free for 6 years, means she has wanted this since she was 19, so it tells me that she has never had any intention of working, pursuing a career or paying in to the system, and is happy to let other people work and fund her life and lifestyle choices. Also, if it meant that much to her, she would have found work and saved at least some of the money. Everything about this story is wrong to me.

"Can't afford it"

Enough said. Fills me with rage.

RossD89

A little over? Nearly 4 times as much... roughly £23 per week over 6 … A little over? Nearly 4 times as much... roughly £23 per week over 6 years.

​£2100 per cycle.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amazon prime subscribe & save47
      2. Tooth extraction88
      3. Decent Mp3 Player?33
      4. Box Nation44

See more discussions