Groups

a decent read

Banned
    i used to love reading when i was younger, now i'm 15 and havent touched a book in the last few years (except peter kay's autobiography) i'm looking to get the specials & dog the bounty hunter autobiographies, but i'm looking for a decent read, something that makes me think rather than an an autobiography, any suggestions?

i forgot to say, i'm male and i like stuff that's set after the 70's, rather than the sort of stuff you'd get for an english assignment like northhanger abbey or kes (good book though)
    - moneysaverraver

16 Comments

have you read helen forrester? i have read tuppence to cross the mersey. Also saw a young girl your age avidly reading on the plane. Sorry dont know if you are male or female!

oh and more modern jodi picoult the pact and others..i read-daughter read it and loved it too.

I'd begin with the Neverending story by michael ende.

If you've seen the movies, read it. It's phenomenal.

dexter books by jeff lindsay?
    anything by michael crichton

i got lots of thrillers i could sell
    nora roberts
    mary higgins clark

If its autobiographies you like...Ive just finished Gordon Ramsays Playing With Fire, its about how he made his business empire...really makes you think how much work people put into a business...never mind an empire.

£10 on Amazon, will do for £7.50 1st Class Delivered.

The Outsiders, made into a film with a very young Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze and other Bratpackers, I read it for a school assignment 22 years ago and have read it over and over again since, my favourite book. I think it would be OK for men & women (as I'm not sure which category you fall into) and is really, really good, easy to read but a very deep storyline, makes me cry every time I read it - thoroughly recommended.

Animal Farm, assuming you have not read it before is an excellent book and surprisingly relevant to world events of the past 50 years, even though it was written well beforehand.

If you really want a book to "think " about . What i read for GCSE english "talking in Whispers" by James Watson only £2.28 delivered from play.com

Talking in whispers is a touching novel and very powerful. the beginning is quite confusing but as you go on it starts to become clear. I read it with my english class and got so into the book that I finished it before anyone else. It shows how the Junta became the bullies of Chile and how the House of Laughter could be easily mistaken for a beautiful house in the countryside. I like this book because it makes me think and worry about what happened. I also think the title was an excellent name to give to the book.

If you like sci-fi and a good and amusing series, can't recommend The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett enough.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand if your interested?

Its the inspiration for a lot of the stuff in BioShock. I have 2 copies, So this in is brand new condition, Never turned a page.

When you say something that will make you think do you mean fiction or non-fiction? I mainly read fiction so that's what I'm going to list as recommendations:

I'm currently reading The Book Thief. It's a story about a Jewish girl who is sent away to live with foster parents in Germany during World War II, but it's narrated by Death, who encounters the girl three times and, while he normally tries to ignore people and just get on with his job, he becomes particularly interested in her. I highly recommend that.

Besides that, as general recommendations, I'd advise going through a list of classic novels, the sort of books you just 'have' to read and picking any that take your fancy. Things like Frankenstein, Dracula, Robinson Crusoe, Moby Dick, Around the World in 80 Days, Heart of Darkness, etc. Penguin do a series of classics that are only £1.50 RRP. There's also their modern classic series with such excellent books as A Clockwork Orange, Of Mice and Men, Lolita, In Cold Blood, 1984, Animal Farm, The Plague, etc.

And as far as authors go, I'd recommend anything by Stephen King (go for The Shining, Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, Misery or IT if you want his classic horror, or The Dark Tower series if you're more into fantasy), Terry Pratchett (the Discworld novels are always enjoyable and, more often than not, a bit deeper and more thought provoking than you'd expect - I recently read Thud! which deals with racism and a lot of the humour comes from ironic observations) or Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club, Choke, Survivor, Lullaby).

I also read a lot of sci-fi and I've been collecting some classics recently - I tracked down all the John Wyndham books I didn't already have (his best are The Day of the Triffids, The Midwich Cuckoos (The Village of the Damned), The Kraken Wakes but he's also written loads of short stories that have been published in various collections), and the Dune series by Frank Herbert.

I could go on, but I'd end up listing hundreds of books :-)

The Curious Incident Of The Dog At Nightime (I think thats what its called) is really really good, and books by Ian McEwan (Saturday, Amsterdam etc)

Autobiography wise Im currently reading Alex James' (from blur) its alright if you like self indulgent types who then feel sorry for themselves for being so self indulgent...but carry on anyway, ho hum. Its a bit interesting.

last thing i read properly was lord of the files

Anything by james patterson...Preferably the Cross or Double Cross
    And his new one Daniel X

but has written lots and a few have even been made into movies Hide and Seek with Michael keating for example

I'm just reading lord of the flies now!!

OP - Jeffery Archer - Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, excellent book, it's not very long so would be a good one to start off with and get you back into it, reminds me of something like oceans 11

Then move on to any Ben Elton book, the older stuff like Stark and Popcorn is relly good, also newer ones like Dead Famous and Past Mortem

Also check out any book by Mike Gayle, kind of like a blokes 'Chick Lit', very good, i'd recomend all of them

I love reading, have about 12 to work through at the mo
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One thing you've forgotten79
      2. Get an annual MOT reminder714
      3. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185

See more discussions