Groups

A different side of war

I was just watching this clip and it's a great view of how the military personnel themselves have opened their eyes and are telling the war how it is .

youtube.com/wat…are

28 Comments

Banned

That video is a thing of beauty. There is enough goodness in those people for the whole american people.

A true inspiration.

The UK's oath of allegiance
    You know what your getting into when you join our Armed forces:

I Paddy O'Furniture swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me. So help me God.

No surprise that it's the usual sympathisers commenting in here

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

The UK's oath of allegianceYou know what your getting into when you join … The UK's oath of allegianceYou know what your getting into when you join our Armed forces:I Paddy O'Furniture swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me. So help me God.No surprise that it's the usual sympathisers commenting in here

There is also the assumption that you will be fighting a just, legal war when you make that declaration.

There comes a point for people with a semblance of humanity when you dont stick your head in a gas oven just because you are told to do so.

Paddy_o_furniture

The UK's oath of allegianceYou know what your getting into when you join … The UK's oath of allegianceYou know what your getting into when you join our Armed forces:I Paddy O'Furniture swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me. So help me God.No surprise that it's the usual sympathisers commenting in here

Wow. How blind.

mus_ne

Wow. How blind.

Not at all, having served this country for 8 years of my life. Served in Iraq never been to Afghan. Don't believe either war is illegal (my opinion).

"You cannot meet someone in Iraq that's not lost a family member. Can you imagine what America would have done if in 9/11 every single American lost a family member? Would we be talking? No, we would be out there in the streets, holding guns... They're not terrorists, they're wearing sandals and they got an AK."
    Edited by: "mus_ne" 7th May 2011

mus_ne

"You cannot meet someone in Iraq that's not lost a family member. Can you … "You cannot meet someone in Iraq that's not lost a family member. Can you imagine what America would have done if in 9/11 every single American lost a family member? Would we be talking? No, we would be out there in the streets, holding guns... They're not terrorists, they're wearing sandals and they got an AK."

Have you been to Iraq? The majority of Iraq's I met whilst in theatre where happy to see the back of Saddam.

Paddy_o_furniture

Have you been to Iraq? The majority of Iraq's I met whilst in theatre … Have you been to Iraq? The majority of Iraq's I met whilst in theatre where happy to see the back of Saddam.

Funny you say that.

I could say that I'm half Iraqi. My mum is Iraqi and her whole family lives in Iraq. They live on money we send them frequently. My aunts in say that life and living conditions were heaven compared to the hell they live in now.

Banned

mus_ne

Funny you say that. I could say that I'm half Iraqi. My mum is Iraqi and … Funny you say that. I could say that I'm half Iraqi. My mum is Iraqi and her whole family lives in Iraq. They live on money we send them frequently. My aunts in say that life and living conditions were heaven compared to the hell they live in now.

Very much a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Time for the west to pack it's bags, sort its own back yard out and leave the muslim world to sort out it's own problems.

Well we'll agree to disagree.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

All part of life's rich tapestry. It seems we do agree on one thing though. We both believe in God.

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture

Like they said in the video Americans were told to fire on civilians who made them feel uneasy.

When did anyone have the right to shoot anyone who has done no harm or wrong just because they looked fishy, how many innocent civilians died/dieing just because they decided its time to oust Saddam, it's funny how the americans found bin laden, managed to kill him, all in 45 minutes, I mean they new were Saddam was surely they didnt have to destroy everything in their path to him

I can't comment on American rules of engagement because I'm not familiar with them. I know ours however are alot more stringent as to when and whom you can return fire on.

I don't condone the killings of any innocent people, whether that be Iraq, Afghan, Ulster or New York.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

I don't condone the killings of any innocent people, whether that be … I don't condone the killings of any innocent people, whether that be Iraq, Afghan, Ulster or New York.

+1

The sentiment of a believer

Original Poster

Another interesting story of how war changes the common man, although i do believe he was born evil

Link

It is better to live under a tyrant than live in chaos
    my opinion.

Original Poster

DE4L3R

It is better to live under a tyrant than live in chaosmy opinion.

That is a valid point but the way i see it, if they want to target a certain group such as the taliban or who ever why do you need to bring the country into chaos, if you hit the regime from the top the rest will soon fall

Banned

DE4L3R

It is better to live under a tyrant than live in chaosmy opinion.

It's certainly a lot easier....unless you're a member of a group that the tyrant wants to kill. In that case it's probably pretty awful, but short-term.

But you have a point - so long as the tyrant is killing my neighbours because he doesn't like them and I have the necessities, like a decent cellphone signal, then what's not to like?

FilthAndFurry

It's certainly a lot easier....unless you're a member of a group that the … It's certainly a lot easier....unless you're a member of a group that the tyrant wants to kill. In that case it's probably pretty awful, but short-term.But you have a point - so long as the tyrant is killing my neighbours because he doesn't like them and I have the necessities, like a decent cellphone signal, then what's not to like?

you can always move, come to britain,lol

Funny you say as long as we have a cellphone signal, gas, electric etc is that not what is going on here, we are being suckled , while we have all these distractions , ipads, sky subscriptions etc things to keep us occupied and enslaved to material possesions, that we dont ask questions as to what our govt is doing?

bhara

That is a valid point but the way i see it, if they want to target a … That is a valid point but the way i see it, if they want to target a certain group such as the taliban or who ever why do you need to bring the country into chaos, if you hit the regime from the top the rest will soon fall

How long ? Its been nearly 10 years, did the taliban have a top? Or do new heads pop up , like whack a attack.lol

Banned

DE4L3R

Funny you say as long as we have a cellphone signal, gas, electric etc is … Funny you say as long as we have a cellphone signal, gas, electric etc is that not what is going on here, we are being suckled , while we have all these distractions , ipads, sky subscriptions etc things to keep us occupied and enslaved to material possesions, that we dont ask questions as to what our govt is doing?

Nice point, but I disagree.

Technology has actually opened up political discourse and taken power away from the 'establishment'.

do you mean the birth of keyboard warriors?lol

FilthAndFurry

Nice point, but I disagree.Technology has actually opened up political … Nice point, but I disagree.Technology has actually opened up political discourse and taken power away from the 'establishment'.

How so...seriously.... What I can only see (Maybe not only) technology do is constantly screaming using all the available means possible to tell the world one side of the Story without the least bit showing the world what the war is really all about.... you know its funny most Arab broadcasting Stations are blocked in the United States... you tend to ask why, but since we are all so preoccupied with the launch date of the Ipad 3 and the Iphone 5, who really cares what happens in other part of the world.

Banned

saayinla

How so...seriously.... What I can only see (Maybe not only) technology do … How so...seriously.... What I can only see (Maybe not only) technology do is constantly screaming using all the available means possible to tell the world one side of the Story without the least bit showing the world what the war is really all about.... you know its funny most Arab broadcasting Stations are blocked in the United States... you tend to ask why, but since we are all so preoccupied with the launch date of the Ipad 3 and the Iphone 5, who really cares what happens in other part of the world.

Most arab stations are banned? Are you refering to Al manar which appears to be banned all over the world for spreading racial hatred and is an official Hezbollah broadcaster calling for Muslims to rise up. Are these the sort of programs you want?

PS I have no interest in an iPhone 5 or iPad 2.

Paddy_o_furniture

Not at all, having served this country for 8 years of my life. Served in … Not at all, having served this country for 8 years of my life. Served in Iraq never been to Afghan. Don't believe either war is illegal (my opinion).

Wow, that's just a crazy statement to make! Please wake up and smell the coffeeeeee!!!!!!

Iraq is under occupation by the US and UK forces and is NOT a war! It's been a catastrophe from day one for the UK as a whole, starting with our armed forces to avoidable loss of life and especially with the hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis that have lost their lives as a result of our occupation under false pretences, not to mention the current state of their lives and country!

Afghanistan is a different kettle of fish with conflicting things. But, if Bin Laden was the primary aim and we're led to believe that Bin Laden is now dead (killed in Pakistan?) - is it not 'mission accomplished' and time we left?

Banned

saayinla

How so...seriously.... What I can only see (Maybe not only) technology do … How so...seriously.... What I can only see (Maybe not only) technology do is constantly screaming using all the available means possible to tell the world one side of the Story without the least bit showing the world what the war is really all about.... you know its funny most Arab broadcasting Stations are blocked in the United States... you tend to ask why, but since we are all so preoccupied with the launch date of the Ipad 3 and the Iphone 5, who really cares what happens in other part of the world.

I think you're exaggerating.

Even if you aren't, I'm aware of stations which are banned but are available via the internet which lends credence to my point. The reality is that we have more opinions, information, views and reporting of stories than at any other point in history and that is due to technology.

Thats probably exactly what the govt wants, people who can rant on internet forums and not people who take to the streets and bring down govt's. No doubt technology can help massively in term of organising people to turn up at places, spread news and gossip ,not to mention conspiracy theories(oops i jus did) but i like others like the security of my home and my couch.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions