Groups

A Good Bank so I can get away from Santander

I have been with Alliance and Leicester from back when it was Girobank (circa 30 years). I have always been happy because they have a decent service, great online banking, and good saving accounts and ISA rates and I can move money easily between accounts online. Along comes Santander and I am now on Abbey systems and everything is a nightmare and as Customer Services said its me not them! I can pay in > £2000 per month and want a bank where I pay no monthly charges that has reasonable online savings an ISA rates and where I can easily transfer my money between accounts without any problems, Could anyone advise if there is such a bank from their own experience? Thanks Steve

24 Comments

HSBC/Lloyds TSB

HSBC Premier is the best but it will dependant on your salary or the value of your savings.

iv been with hsbc since i was16 and never had a problem. online banking with them is easy, and never has a problem with their customer service. i was with abbey when it was abbey national, had nothing but problems.

im in the process of leaving santander too, going to HBOS for their student account

Banned

RBS

SuperEd

halifax are decent

first direct are good (part of HSBC)...

civms47

first direct are good (part of HSBC)...

+1

Banned

Smile.co.uk generally win most awards for best online bank

Banned

DLM

RBS

that are going over to santander in the next year

Smile (co-op)

Banned

DLM

RBS

LMAO

Banned

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/csiman2/ScreenShot116.jpg

Banned

at this rate you wont be able to get away from santander, they will have them all soon

I haven't had a good bank for ages.

Nationwide are good. Online banking very good.

"I have been with Alliance and Leicester from back when it was Girobank (circa 30 years). I have always been happy because they have a decent service, great online banking, and good saving accounts and ISA rates and I can move money easily between accounts online. Along comes Santander and I am now on Abbey systems and everything is a nightmare and as Customer Services said its me not them!" +1

my attempt at instant access through online banking failed miserably last week. Was on hold to an 0844number for 20 minutes, then spoke to a girl who transferred me to another dept, phone rang for 10 minutes on piped recording then changed to a ring tone for 5 minutes. I attempted to fill in an online email contact, but it was a dead page so I phoned customer complaints and finally got through to a helpful person. I've had enough and want to change banks, but don't have £1000 a month to pay in as salary.

Smile/ coop

been with the co-op for 28yrs they are very good and ethical too !

Banned

chalkysoil

" I have been with Alliance and Leicester from back when it was Girobank … " I have been with Alliance and Leicester from back when it was Girobank (circa 30 years). I have always been happy because they have a decent service, great online banking, and good saving accounts and ISA rates and I can move money easily between accounts online. Along comes Santander and I am now on Abbey systems and everything is a nightmare and as Customer Services said its me not them!" +1my attempt at instant access through online banking failed miserably last week. Was on hold to an 0844number for 20 minutes, then spoke to a girl who transferred me to another dept, phone rang for 10 minutes on piped recording then changed to a ring tone for 5 minutes. I attempted to fill in an online email contact, but it was a dead page so I phoned customer complaints and finally got through to a helpful person. I've had enough and want to change banks, but don't have £1000 a month to pay in as salary.

most banks dont ask for £1000 regular funding to open an account oO

HSBC that who i am with

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I have checked through all of the banks and no one has a decent free current account and e-savings and ISA => 2.5% (that allows a transfer in). Its difficult not to just ride it out, and I had my fifth angry conversation with customer services, but still won't get access to my accounts online for circa two more weeks.

Banned

why insist on keeping all your eggs in one basket? transfers to to other accounts generally take a day or two at most and usually within a few minutes.

I use smile for current account, A&L for ISA, Nationwide for overseas spending account & bill payments, Tesco for instant access savings. Takes me a minute or tow to sign on to any account and transfer funds between them. Havent been in a branch for 10 years!

Original Poster

Its really easy and flexible if you have everything in the same bank, and transfers are instant, at least it was before A&L went on to the Santander (Abbey) systems.Still waiting for access to be restored to enable me to see my accounts. If I could find a good bank with a reasonable savings account I would seriously think about moving and just leaving my Cash ISA in A&L.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Extractor fan blown? (excuse the pun)44
      2. Xbox One S or Xbox One X810
      3. Marvel characters33
      4. Finally got a Xbox one s22

See more discussions