A good Mobile Phone and contract for my daughter

Posted 30th Oct
I'm looking for a mobile phone, with contract, for my daughter. She has just started high school, and all the normal social media apps are of interest. I'd like a capable phone, and a reasonable data contract. (not apple)

Are there any suggestions?

She currently has a hand me down Pixel OG, but no data contract, and the phone is on its last legs.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
High school is that not US education?
fearona30/10/2019 13:01

All High Schools round my way in Cheshire.
Buy a sim separate. Voxi sim £10 a month, 6GB data & unlimited calls & picture messages. On top all data used on the various social media are free & do not go into the 6GB.
voxi.co.uk/pla…wcB
Some decent deals on Samsung S9 models here
go on money supermarket or a comprising site
put in your budget and how much data and minutes etc you want over how many months and what type of phone your find the best deal
walrus430/10/2019 13:07

All High Schools round my way in Cheshire.

Why have they started using the US terminolgy for secondary school?
fearona30/10/2019 13:13

Cus it's kooall man!

Switched to a two tier system in East Anglia, primary, then high school. Does feel like an Americanisation

Been like that in West Wales for a while.
It's the same with this prom nonsense that suddenly started a few years back.
What was wrong with the old end of year school disco?
Voxi is the best. £10 a month and everything unlimited although it says 8gb mine doesn’t seem to run out lol.
I think they have an iPhone 11 deal. Worth checking.
If you decide to buy a phone from the apple store on pay as you go, then I will definitely recommend voxi.
Merry00030/10/2019 13:40

Voxi is the best. £10 a month and everything unlimited although it says …Voxi is the best. £10 a month and everything unlimited although it says 8gb mine doesn’t seem to run out lol. I think they have an iPhone 11 deal. Worth checking. If you decide to buy a phone from the apple store on pay as you go, then I will definitely recommend voxi.

Thanks - I had seen Voxi, wasn't sure on the handsets they do. I've had pixels for the last few years and lost touch with what's a good / bad phone.
adamderak30/10/2019 13:11

Buy a sim separate. Voxi sim £10 a month, 6GB data & unlimited calls & …Buy a sim separate. Voxi sim £10 a month, 6GB data & unlimited calls & picture messages. On top all data used on the various social media are free & do not go into the 6GB.https://www.voxi.co.uk/plans Some decent deals on Samsung S9 models here

Don't need to consider Voxi cellular data usage until Voxi learns to count; until then it's unlimited cellular data. Fill your boots.
supers3ded30/10/2019 13:45

Thanks - I had seen Voxi, wasn't sure on the handsets they do. I've had …Thanks - I had seen Voxi, wasn't sure on the handsets they do. I've had pixels for the last few years and lost touch with what's a good / bad phone.

What's your budget?
adamderak30/10/2019 13:49

What's your budget?

It's fluid, I'm hunting a deal really. Ideally under £25 with decent data
supers3ded30/10/2019 13:55

Buy a decent xiaomi phone and get a voxi sim for ultimate bang for buck
Edited by: "jez794" 30th Oct

What's decent data?

Huawei P30. Very good phone.
£27 a month , £19 a month.
Unlimited calls & a whopping teenager proof 100GB data.
Deal courtesy @MrSwitch
Called high school here in scottish borders also east Lothian my home area
vickymh8530/10/2019 14:03

Called high school here in scottish borders also east Lothian my home area

No high schools in my area, still secondary schools etc.
adamderak30/10/2019 14:05

Huawei P30. Very good phone. £27 a month , £19 a month.Unlimited calls & a …Huawei P30. Very good phone. £27 a month , £19 a month.Unlimited calls & a whopping teenager proof 100GB data.Deal courtesy @MrSwitch

wow, great deal, thanks! i think 100gb data will be sufficient! I'm on three, and use the tethering all the time, so she can do this too for her little bro
Jst got our daughter p30 lite on mobiles.co.uk Vodafone package £24 month with the cashback deal making it £18 a month
fearona30/10/2019 14:19

No high schools in my area, still secondary schools etc.

Strange eh how diff in some areas
It’s to distance them from Academy. Up here in Scotland most schools are Academies but don’t come with the English baggage that an ‘Academy’ brings.
Tesco do a family plan which enables you to restrict data use etc.
chimp14uk30/10/2019 13:38

Been like that in West Wales for a while.It's the same with this prom …Been like that in West Wales for a while.It's the same with this prom nonsense that suddenly started a few years back.What was wrong with the old end of year school disco?

All the Americanisation is to make parents spend even more money.
bozo00730/10/2019 18:03

All the Americanisation is to make parents spend even more money.

Yeah, but the UK parents are suckers for doing it.
Oneday7730/10/2019 14:42

It’s to distance them from Academy. Up here in Scotland most schools are A …It’s to distance them from Academy. Up here in Scotland most schools are Academies but don’t come with the English baggage that an ‘Academy’ brings.

You won't need to worry soon.

Been saying high school in the west midlands for 30 years

From my experience, in the south we call them secondary schools ( I grew up in Devon and no one said high school) and the further north you go the more they use high school ( i now live in North Wales and everyone uses high school)
Edited by: "RadiantDuck" 31st Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants