A hard disk problem is preventing windows from starting - HELP

Found 17th Aug 2015
Well recently my laptop won't load up, and after running the disk repair tool (which took about 2 days to complete I got this message). What's the solution to fixing this? Is it an internal software problem, so would inserting a windows repair cd do the trick? Or would I need to buy a completely new hard disk? If so how much roughly would it cost.

I am hoping the repair cd will do the trick, don't want to waste my time trying if it won't. Advice appreciated.
Community Updates
15 Comments
If the disk repair tool took that long I would guess the hard drive is goosed.

Is it an old laptop? Which version of windows?
MichyM

If the disk repair tool took that long I would guess the hard drive is … If the disk repair tool took that long I would guess the hard drive is goosed.

My reaction too. I could be a file system problem but either way I doubt any 'repair' option will help and I'd try a format and fresh install.

Before that you could try booting from a LiveCD (Mint, Ubuntu etc.) and see if you can open the drive from there.

MichyM

If the disk repair tool took that long I would guess the hard drive is … If the disk repair tool took that long I would guess the hard drive is goosed.Is it an old laptop? Which version of windows?

MichyM

If the disk repair tool took that long I would guess the hard drive is … If the disk repair tool took that long I would guess the hard drive is goosed.

The laptop is probably 4-5 years old. It's a Samsung S3520. Windows 7.

I kind of would prefer not doing a fresh install (unless my last resort), as there's stuff on there I didn't backup which I need. If there's anyway I can access it to get the files, I wouldn't mind doing a fresh install afterwards though. Can't even load safe mode.

What's a LiveCD?

Edited by: "MRR_ltd" 17th Aug 2015
MRR_ltd

The laptop is probably 4-5 years old. It's a Samsung S3520. Windows 7.I … The laptop is probably 4-5 years old. It's a Samsung S3520. Windows 7.I kind of would prefer not doing a fresh install (unless my last resort), as there's stuff on there I didn't backup which I need. If there's anyway I can access it to get the files, I wouldn't mind doing a fresh install afterwards though. Can't even load safe mode.What's a LiveCD?

A LiveCD is where the os boots directly from a CDROM or USB stick and is self contained so it does affect other drives. It's a good way of multi booting an os without the hassle of editing BCD's and other crappy boot loaders.
The drive is fubar. You need to replace the drive, throw the original drive in an external enclosure and slowly hunt down and copy the files over. This will take a long time as it tends to try an access files for ages before getting anywhere. Quick question, did you drop or bump the drive and has it been slowing down and making clicking noises ?
Drives just aren't as hardy as they used to be. I think I've still got a quantum fireball kicking around that still runs fine after 18 years.
kester76

The drive is fubar. You need to replace the drive, throw the original … The drive is fubar. You need to replace the drive, throw the original drive in an external enclosure and slowly hunt down and copy the files over. This will take a long time as it tends to try an access files for ages before getting anywhere. Quick question, did you drop or bump the drive and has it been slowing down and making clicking noises ?Drives just aren't as hardy as they used to be. I think I've still got a quantum fireball kicking around that still runs fine after 18 years.

I have a BIGFOOT!http://i.ytimg.com/vi/zWZ9YjuRebI/maxresdefault.jpg
Edited by: "_Rappy_" 17th Aug 2015
kester76

A LiveCD is where the os boots directly from a CDROM or USB stick and is … A LiveCD is where the os boots directly from a CDROM or USB stick and is self contained so it does affect other drives. It's a good way of multi booting an os without the hassle of editing BCD's and other crappy boot loaders.

kester76

The drive is fubar. You need to replace the drive, throw the original … The drive is fubar. You need to replace the drive, throw the original drive in an external enclosure and slowly hunt down and copy the files over. This will take a long time as it tends to try an access files for ages before getting anywhere. Quick question, did you drop or bump the drive and has it been slowing down and making clicking noises ?Drives just aren't as hardy as they used to be. I think I've still got a quantum fireball kicking around that still runs fine after 18 years.

I appreciate the info. I ain't an expert in this kind of stuff, so will show all these comments to my friend that is.

I have dropped and bumped the laptop in the past, which could've contributed to that then? And I can't recall any clicking noises though. But it definitely has been slowing down.

Nice lol, yeah things aren't built to last these days.
How many times in the 4-5 years have you done a clean install and backed up your data? I reinstall every 6 months max to keep things fresh and fast, computers slow down over time and many viruses can cause your pc not to boot, could be that or as above could be the hdd,
if it took 2 days then i suspect hdd is kaput
westy125

How many times in the 4-5 years have you done a clean install and backed … How many times in the 4-5 years have you done a clean install and backed up your data? I reinstall every 6 months max to keep things fresh and fast, computers slow down over time and many viruses can cause your pc not to boot, could be that or as above could be the hdd,

Hmm interesting, I don't think I've done a clean install on it before. Do you require a special cd to do that? Costly?
kidrock123

if it took 2 days then i suspect hdd is kaput

Lol I hope not, maybe it took that long because I have a lot of crap on there? I have a very good antivirus installed and it runs regular checks, so doubt a virus. I've read online some people took 3/4days to complete.
MRR_ltd

Hmm interesting, I don't think I've done a clean install on it before. Do … Hmm interesting, I don't think I've done a clean install on it before. Do you require a special cd to do that? Costly?

​to be honest even though you have a good virus killer on after 4-5 years your laptop operating system would be ready to give up, the registry will be struggling and maybe a lot missing, do you have access to another pc to simply get your data off the laptop then do a full clean install, that's my guess rather than hdd failure
MRR_ltd

[quote=kidrock123]I've read online some people took 3/4days to complete.

You haven't actually specified what this 'disk repair tool' was. Are you talking about chkdsk? Something else?

westy125

​to be honest even though you have a good virus killer on after 4-5 y … ​to be honest even though you have a good virus killer on after 4-5 years your laptop operating system would be ready to give up

That was true in the 2000/XP days but Vista (and presumably above) have much better long term stability. My 2008 machine was perfectly fine on it's first install until it got zapped by lighting a couple of months ago (and I had a lot of stuff installed and uninstalled over the years).
MRR_ltd

[quote=kidrock123]I've read online some people took 3/4days to complete.

westy125

​to be honest even though you have a good virus killer on after 4-5 y … ​to be honest even though you have a good virus killer on after 4-5 years your laptop operating system would be ready to give up

​I only speak about the vast amount of pc's I have fixed where there is so much rubbish on etc, file system corrupt, and very slow machine from viruses etc, even reinstalling a one year old pc brings it back to life with increased speed
Buy a 128gb ssd, use a windows 7 repair disc if you have one and you will be amazed at the speed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants