A HERON?!?!

Found 9th JanEdited by:"cloudthecat"
Looking out of the window.. .. .. Poised and ready thinking of Weather Pictures to take for the Weather bit.. ..

With my point and shoot camera in one paw and my book on photography in other. .. .. SUDDENLY.. .. . .. Out of (one assumes the sky!) .. .. nowhere.....

Appears a huge flying thing resembling a .. .. .. pterodactyl.....!!!

Well - OK - maybe the description isn't perhaps the nearest - but one gets the gist!?

Living in a busy, busy, bust City/town its not the sort of thing one sees on a daily basis...

But sure as HUKD Misc would have it!

There is was in full flight .. .. Then landed on the statue in the garden and began to twerk around like David Walliams... !!

OMG! A HERON!!

It was HUGE!!!

I wonder if it has lost its flight path?

There aren't too many ponds around here... ..

Needless to say - the cat wasnt so brave to go out and stalk it like she is every time a sparrow lands on the bird feeder! LOL!

I wonder if you lot haave strange visitors to your houose/flat/garden??

(In-laws excepted!) :-)
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
You had your camera but didnt post pics? Shame on you cloud, shame on you.
36 Comments
harlzter10 m ago

I was scrolling down expecting to see an epic heron pic too!
When I lived in suburban south London we used to get the occasional heron land in the back garden. One time a peacock, of all things.
Like you (OP) my cat went and hid. But has no problem sitting in the driveway and hissing and growling at passing dogs Weirdest thing was some giant lizard thing, over 1 metre long. But it turned out to be a neighbour's pet.
Original Poster
LOL @ You two!!!! ^^^^ YOU just made me laugh!!

WELL - the thing is.. .. .. .. .. .. .. My camera is nowhere NEAR as good as all those weather peoples ones, and if I tried to get the winged beast, knowing my luck it would be a teeny dot in the distance and you would all be saying
CLOUD! GET A ZOOM!!!

LOL!! LOL!! LOL!!
Original Poster
buddhabelly2 m ago

When I lived in suburban south London we used to get the occasional heron …When I lived in suburban south London we used to get the occasional heron land in the back garden. One time a peacock, of all things.Like you (OP) my cat went and hid. But has no problem sitting in the driveway and hissing and growling at passing dogs Weirdest thing was some giant lizard thing, over 1 metre long. But it turned out to be a neighbour's pet.

OMG!!!!

You sound like you have seen it ALL!!!! LOVE the story of the cat!! Sooo sooo familiar!!! LOL! They are all brave when they re in their comfort zone .... but see something out of the ordinary, and that sofa is called for immediately!! LOL!!!
Live in west London seen em all the time they frequent two local parks and I've seen em in gardens even ones without ponds strangely.

I've seen those big black sea birds sometimes not sure what they are called, i guess maybe the strangest was a newt on the footpath no where near any water.

We have small birds of pray here, I've seen thrm very close up they don't seem to care, not sure what they are kestrel or something, they have white underside, wide tail with black spots on the white, the topside is brown and they have bright yellow eyes, they hover over hedgerows about 8 feet off the ground they also circle over the tube tracks like buzzards on updrafts
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 9th Jan
Segata-Sanshiro4 m ago

I've seen those big black sea birds sometimes not sure what they are …I've seen those big black sea birds sometimes not sure what they are called,

Shag?
You point it and press the little silver button cloudy.
Rubisco15 m ago

Shag?

If your talking about the birds and not a a proposition then yes that looks about right.

Theres a increasing amount of jays round here too over the last ten years, don't know why never used to see them, and theres less green parrots now days sadly, starlings seem to be making a comeback here tho.
I had a heron next to my fish pond with one of my large koi in its dagger like beak. I opened the door and it flew on top of my shed with my koi sticking out of its throat. It took it 45 minutes to get it fully down and I was hoping it would choke on it. Made sure it would never get another one by placing a thick net over the pond and not topping my pond right up to the brim.
Original Poster
Saturn17 m ago

Swallow?

SMDH.....
Original Poster
Wongy11018 m ago

You point it and press the little silver button cloudy.

LMFAO!!! OOOOOH!!!!

THATS where I went wrong Wongy!!

BUT in fairness I need a zoom as big as concord's nose to get the birdie into focus.... :-) LOL!
Get quite a lot of Great Tits around my way which are always nice to see!
Original Poster
Towelie2 m ago

Get quite a lot of Great Tits around my way which are always nice to see!

Agreed - as you say ALWAYS nice to see! ;-)
Original Poster
summerof7614 m ago

I had a heron next to my fish pond with one of my large koi in its dagger …I had a heron next to my fish pond with one of my large koi in its dagger like beak. I opened the door and it flew on top of my shed with my koi sticking out of its throat. It took it 45 minutes to get it fully down and I was hoping it would choke on it. Made sure it would never get another one by placing a thick net over the pond and not topping my pond right up to the brim.

OMG!!!!!

Wowzers!!!

Laughing at the "Hoping it would choke on it!"

I am just surprised that they are so far in land!

Not every day in the middle of suburbia one sees such fowl behaviour!
cloudthecat5 m ago

Agreed - as you say ALWAYS nice to see! ;-)

Haha no one ever complains!

Can't say I'm a fan of Blue Tits though - not really into necrophilia myself tbh.
The bloody heron's have had all the goldfish from my pond and next door but ones as well, and the thing is when we replace the fish they are gone within 2 days.
cloudthecat8 m ago

OMG!!!!! Wowzers!!! Laughing at the "Hoping it would choke on it!"I am …OMG!!!!! Wowzers!!! Laughing at the "Hoping it would choke on it!"I am just surprised that they are so far in land! Not every day in the middle of suburbia one sees such fowl behaviour!

In land? They are not sea birds, they frequent waterways
Segata-Sanshiro51 m ago

Live in west London seen em all the time they frequent two local parks and …Live in west London seen em all the time they frequent two local parks and I've seen em in gardens even ones without ponds strangely.I've seen those big black sea birds sometimes not sure what they are called, i guess maybe the strangest was a newt on the footpath no where near any water.We have small birds of pray here, I've seen thrm very close up they don't seem to care, not sure what they are kestrel or something, they have white underside, wide tail with black spots on the white, the topside is brown and they have bright yellow eyes, they hover over hedgerows about 8 feet off the ground they also circle over the tube tracks like buzzards on updrafts

Are you thinking of a Cormorant.
Original Poster
Thanks for your notification ornithologist...

It was a "figure of speech" or "throw-away comment" not a Bill Oddie test.
Herons have a built in feather comb on their feet
Original Poster
Sprograt7 m ago

The bloody heron's have had all the goldfish from my pond and next door …The bloody heron's have had all the goldfish from my pond and next door but ones as well, and the thing is when we replace the fish they are gone within 2 days.

Maybe time to get a pond cover - but then i guess that negates the point of having a pond to an extent?
Next it will be the cat-fishing!
Sprograt2 m ago

Are you thinking of a Cormorant.

It looks the same as the shag
cloudthecat2 m ago

Maybe time to get a pond cover - but then i guess that negates the point …Maybe time to get a pond cover - but then i guess that negates the point of having a pond to an extent?Next it will be the cat-fishing!

Aquariums are better, goldfish shouldn't be outside anyway. Look at the pretty fishes.
So that’s where the wind blew my plastic heron to??!!!!
Saturn4 h, 48 m ago

Swallow?

Tit?

Meh harlzter
Edited by: "deeky" 9th Jan
I captured this one on the neighbours roof a few months back now , no doubt eyeing up the pond for a quick snack. First time I've seen one though in all the 20 odd year's I've lived here.
33029034-RL7nU.jpg
33029839-3WeG4.jpg

This was the sight from my bedroom window last summer, three heron and two pheasant on an early morning stroll.
Edited by: "booky" 10th Jan
Original Poster
Blimey!

LOOK @ you lot! Booky Capt S n Co!

You have got more wildlife than David Bellamy & Terry Nutkins going on in your gardens / neighbourhood!

Pheasant recipes.. .. .. LOL!

I'm not a pheasant plucker, he has gone out on the tiles....
He only plucked one pheasant and I'm sitting here with piles!!
Original Poster
LOL @ Pheasant pluckers .. ..

I had probably better NOT type the other bits to pheasants pluckers (alternative version!) :P)
33036034-EWZP9.jpg
Almost looks real but it’s plastic, available from many hardware stores
Original Poster
LOL!!! You lot!!!

The birdy i saw was deffo REAL!!! LOL!!!!
I saw a wagtail the other day pecking round some bin bags on the high road in west ealing. So cute.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants