A Humble Request for Laptop Recco's (budget £1000)

Posted 15th Mar
Dear All HUKD’s

I come humbly to ask kindly of your assistance. Yesterday the inevitable happened – my trusty laptop of 8 years of servitude gave up the ghost. I looked forlornly at the joy it had given me during the said time. Given the time frame, I don’t think it is monetary feasible to get it repaired as labour and physical parts would be cost a lot.

I therefore am in the market to buy a laptop that will serve me well for the same amount of time. My now nonfunctional laptop was a I7 Clevo p170 em. With 16gb of ram. I’m looking for a laptop that can be used for both gaming and multimedia use (such as photoshop, Maya, etc.).

My max budget is £1000. Please can the HUK community help in finding me a machine that will last me a good few years? Any recco’s is most appreciated.

Thanking you kindly all.

R
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
For £1000 I'd expect 16gb ram, 500+SSD, or 256+ HDD. nvidia 2060 (might be max Q), IPS panel.

If you're doing complex animation work you might be one of the rare cases that benefits from 32gb.

Up to £800, same as above but with 1660 TI

avoid 1650 (which most sub £800 gaming laptops seem to use unfortuantely) , and I'm not yet impressed with AMD chips in laptops - hot and crap battery life

edit - laptop prices are awful at the moment. No idea why. Most sub £1000 laptops seem to have a 1650 and a TN panel (often labelled IPS level display - dont fall for it) - less performance than my old 1060 laptop which was £699 some 2 years ago.

Maybe this coronavirus will bring some deals in over the next month
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 15th Mar
Thanking you kindly for your input. I'm so out of touch with the tech scene...
MrKrabs15/03/2020 20:51

Maybe this coronavirus will bring some deals in over the next month

Reduced production and lots of people sitting around bored at home? I'd expect prices of entertainment products to rise.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 15th Mar
Any more recommendations please? Should I wait a few months?
Shibaal16/03/2020 11:36

Any more recommendations please? Should I wait a few months?

CeX have some good used laptop deals, and they have a 2-year guarantee. They have two GTX 1080 laptops for under £1k:

uk.webuy.com/pro…12b

uk.webuy.com/pro…10b

If you want a brand new laptop, this is a good deal for £840 delivered: amazon.es/gp/…MJ6

All of the laptops I've linked only have quad-core processors though. If you want more CPU power, the new 8-core Ryzen laptops are coming very soon (early April) so I'd wait for those.
Many many thanks m3racer123. It's a mindfield trying to consider what to buy atm. As you suggested, I'll wait until April and see what deals crop up.

Cheers again.
Shibaal18/03/2020 17:56

Many many thanks m3racer123. It's a mindfield trying to consider what to …Many many thanks m3racer123. It's a mindfield trying to consider what to buy atm. As you suggested, I'll wait until April and see what deals crop up.Cheers again.

I agree it's best to wait, look out for laptops with the Ryzen 7 4800H. Here's one coming in early April, there should be cheaper models coming out as well: scan.co.uk/pro…gtx
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants