A lady in Tesco was trying to steal my shopping trolley

Posted 28th Mar
Hey everyone , just wanted to share something ... I went to Tesco today after a week of self isolation to get some stuff I needed for the house . I was doing my shopping as usual using the scan as you shop thing .. my trolly was half way full mainly with fruits and vegetables I needed for the kids then I stopped to get them some icecream from frozen section and while I was busy looking for icecream . I think it was like one or two minutes that I noticed my trolly was not there .quickly I turned around and I saw this lady leaving in such a rush with my trolley ..
I was shocked to see that. I called her to stop as that’s my shopping trolley she just ignored me left my trolley and quickly left without any apologies.
Now they really was so odd and it wasn’t like there was not enough things for everyone I just keep wondering why would she do that intentionally ??
Did she want to leave the store with my shopping as everything was scanned under my club card details ? Or maybe she wanted to touch my stuff if she had the virus 🦠 ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Reminds me of a visit to a Tesco store about 20 years ago. There were about 8 large packs of lovely looking Chicken breasts with a significantly reduced price label. I had one in my trolley and another in my hand while I pondered how many to buy and freeze. A chap walked up, immediately took the pack out of my hand and trolley, plus all the others remaining on the shelf, and said he worked at Tesco and that they "had been reduced in error". Something didn't seem right with him not appearing an employee, so after a short delay to collect my thoughts, I set off across a couple of aisles to track him down. Strolled up to the trolley he had left his partner with, and saw the 8 large packs sitting there amongst a number of other items. Being young and assertive at the time, I told his girlfriend in plain and unflattering terms what he had just done. He was returning to the trolley and I made sure I spoke loud enough for him to hear the tale. His girlfriend looked suitably embarrassed, and he gingerly handed over 2 packs. Just to reinforce the point, I told him that I was about to buy 4 packs, and took a further 2 packs from his trolley. He didn't say a word.

Never experienced anything like it since, but why would someone choose to be so brazen, cheap and pathetic?
Edited by: "FollowTheScience" 28th Mar
Willy_Wonka28/03/2020 22:06

As the icecream section in Tesco supermarkets is always about as far from …As the icecream section in Tesco supermarkets is always about as far from the front doors as can be I suggest she took it by accident or you are telling little porkies

Not in mine it's not, it is front half, middle row of the store. People buy frozen goods last, before leaving, so their trolleys are full.
Edited by: "melted" 29th Mar
A dare say the customer thought as you scanned it, it was paid for and tried to do a runner. I would never think she was trying to infect you via your shopping were as she could of done that a lot easier. Personally I'd laugh it off, report it for others safety and don't let it put you off going back shopping.
41 Comments
A dare say the customer thought as you scanned it, it was paid for and tried to do a runner. I would never think she was trying to infect you via your shopping were as she could of done that a lot easier. Personally I'd laugh it off, report it for others safety and don't let it put you off going back shopping.
Maybe her plan was to grab your shopping so that she spent as short a time as possible in the store,
STRICKIBHOY28/03/2020 21:34

A dare say the customer thought as you scanned it, it was paid for and …A dare say the customer thought as you scanned it, it was paid for and tried to do a runner. I would never think she was trying to infect you via your shopping were as she could of done that a lot easier. Personally I'd laugh it off, report it for others safety and don't let it put you off going back shopping.

Perhaps you are right . Can’t believe this is what we have come to smh.
It's strange times, some people are gonna find it tough and do some weird stuff.

She wouldn't have got out without paying if it's anything like our local Tesco.

It was someone needing help by the sounds of it, not someone being malicious.
Thanks for awareness, as i was moving back forth few times without trolley for missed items yesterday. Crazy times.
she may have mistaken your trolley for hers but why she ran off i have no idea, unless she was too embarassed. or the trolley had a pound coin and she was trying to steal that.

my tesco abandoned the self scan when they brought in limits of products per customer so now everyone has to go to the tills or the self service where there is staff to keep an eye out on purchases as people scan their items.
Lucky she wasn't in Murica. People get shot for less.
As the icecream section in Tesco supermarkets is always about as far from the front doors as can be I suggest she took it by accident or you are telling little porkies
Probably a fruit loop.
Willy_Wonka28/03/2020 22:06

As the icecream section in Tesco supermarkets is always about as far from …As the icecream section in Tesco supermarkets is always about as far from the front doors as can be I suggest she took it by accident or you are telling little porkies

Not in mine it's not, it is front half, middle row of the store. People buy frozen goods last, before leaving, so their trolleys are full.
Edited by: "melted" 29th Mar
melted28/03/2020 22:20

Not in mine it's not, it is front middle of the store. Peopling buy frozen …Not in mine it's not, it is front middle of the store. Peopling buy frozen goods last, before leaving, so their trolleys are full.

What? In your tesco supermarket (ie big store)? In your store they have forgotten the scientific rules of shopping which is applied to nearly every supermarket in the country because ice cream mostly seasonal.
I have visit about 8 tesco extras in the last 10 years & frozen is always at the back.

How very odd.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 28th Mar
Willy_Wonka28/03/2020 22:27

What? In your tesco supermarket (ie big store)? In your store they have …What? In your tesco supermarket (ie big store)? In your store they have forgotten the scientific rules of shopping which is applied to nearly every supermarket in the country because ice cream mostly seasonal.I have visit about 8 tesco extras in the last 10 years & frozen is always at the back.How very odd.

In my two closest stores frozen is at the back of one, and at the front of the other

What? In your tesco supermarket (ie big store)? In your store they have …What? In your tesco supermarket (ie big store)? In your store they have forgotten the scientific rules of shopping which is applied to nearly every supermarket in the country because ice cream mostly seasonal.I have visit about 8 tesco extras in the last 10 years & frozen is always at the back.How very odd.

Yes its a superstore, far from their biggest though.

Don't go into my Morrison's then, it will do your head in, they normally have carte d'or on offer in the end of aisle freezer cabinet in the freezer section, a few paces from the furthest right manned checkout, although it is as far right as you can get from the door, and the main cabinet for it is further back.
Edited by: "melted" 28th Mar

Frozen sections in both my local Tesco stores are in the middle. One's an "Extra", the other a "Superstore".

To be fair, both my local Sainsbury's and Morrisons are at the rear of the store, so at least they comply.
How very odd.

I was under the impression that Bread, frozen & alcohol is always supposed to be at the back or furthest walk into a shop (ie furthest aisle from the front door in the groceries sections).

It is like that in my nearest Sainsburys & Asda & Morrisons & Tesco (apart from Morrisons have alcohol near one of the 2 the entries to the store)
mutley128/03/2020 21:46

she may have mistaken your trolley for hers but why she ran off i have no …she may have mistaken your trolley for hers but why she ran off i have no idea, unless she was too embarassed. or the trolley had a pound coin and she was trying to steal that.my tesco abandoned the self scan when they brought in limits of products per customer so now everyone has to go to the tills or the self service where there is staff to keep an eye out on purchases as people scan their items.

I'm 100% sure she was trying to steal the trolley for the £1
mutley128/03/2020 21:46

she may have mistaken your trolley for hers but why she ran off i have no …she may have mistaken your trolley for hers but why she ran off i have no idea, unless she was too embarassed. or the trolley had a pound coin and she was trying to steal that.my tesco abandoned the self scan when they brought in limits of products per customer so now everyone has to go to the tills or the self service where there is staff to keep an eye out on purchases as people scan their items.

Sure happens all the time
Im always mistakenly taking other people's trolley what are completely different items
I always make sure to power walk just in case
Edited by: "Norseg" 28th Mar
Willy_Wonka28/03/2020 22:58

How very odd. I was under the impression that Bread, frozen & alcohol is …How very odd. I was under the impression that Bread, frozen & alcohol is always supposed to be at the back or furthest walk into a shop (ie furthest aisle from the front door in the groceries sections). It is like that in my nearest Sainsburys & Asda & Morrisons & Tesco (apart from Morrisons have alcohol near one of the 2 the entries to the store)

i have been to a few stores where the bread and alcohol are at the front of the store. generally the frozen is at the back or middle of the store. it is specific to each store i find, as to where all the stuff are.
Norseg28/03/2020 23:26

Sure happens all the time Im always mistakenly taking other people's …Sure happens all the time Im always mistakenly taking other people's trolley what are completely different itemsI always make sure to power walk just in case

i have mistaken other people's trolleys for mine if they have similar stuff, then realise a few minutes later when i happen to see something that i didn't put there! luckily i find out before the owner does
Reminds me of a visit to a Tesco store about 20 years ago. There were about 8 large packs of lovely looking Chicken breasts with a significantly reduced price label. I had one in my trolley and another in my hand while I pondered how many to buy and freeze. A chap walked up, immediately took the pack out of my hand and trolley, plus all the others remaining on the shelf, and said he worked at Tesco and that they "had been reduced in error". Something didn't seem right with him not appearing an employee, so after a short delay to collect my thoughts, I set off across a couple of aisles to track him down. Strolled up to the trolley he had left his partner with, and saw the 8 large packs sitting there amongst a number of other items. Being young and assertive at the time, I told his girlfriend in plain and unflattering terms what he had just done. He was returning to the trolley and I made sure I spoke loud enough for him to hear the tale. His girlfriend looked suitably embarrassed, and he gingerly handed over 2 packs. Just to reinforce the point, I told him that I was about to buy 4 packs, and took a further 2 packs from his trolley. He didn't say a word.

Never experienced anything like it since, but why would someone choose to be so brazen, cheap and pathetic?
Edited by: "FollowTheScience" 28th Mar
FollowTheScience28/03/2020 23:42

why would someone choose to be so brazen, cheap and pathetic?

Do you remember the fuel shortages? When queuing for petrol do you remember the a-holes jumping in filling their cars with a gallon to keep it topped up? Massive grins on their faces. I swear to God they were all on steroids or cocaine to behave in such a way.
Willy_Wonka28/03/2020 22:58

How very odd. I was under the impression that Bread, frozen & alcohol is …How very odd. I was under the impression that Bread, frozen & alcohol is always supposed to be at the back or furthest walk into a shop (ie furthest aisle from the front door in the groceries sections). It is like that in my nearest Sainsburys & Asda & Morrisons & Tesco (apart from Morrisons have alcohol near one of the 2 the entries to the store)

So you have never seen supermarkets systematically change their layout - the science on that is to bring variance to the shoppers habits rather than shopping on auto pilot.
Bertz9929/03/2020 00:02

So you have never seen supermarkets systematically change their layout - …So you have never seen supermarkets systematically change their layout - the science on that is to bring variance to the shoppers habits rather than shopping on auto pilot.

Yes but they dont move their frozen chillers, their bakery or their spirit & wine aisles. They are fixed for power & the spirit & wine aisles require different shelving to control breakages.
Yes they may add alcohol to the front of the shops at xmas & bank holidays but they still are maintained elsewhere in the shop.
Willy_Wonka29/03/2020 00:07

Yes but they dont move their frozen chillers, their bakery or their spirit …Yes but they dont move their frozen chillers, their bakery or their spirit & wine aisles. They are fixed for power & the spirit & wine aisles require different shelving to control breakages. Yes they may add alcohol to the front of the shops at xmas & bank holidays but they still are maintained elsewhere in the shop.

I used to work in a store which kept the booze exclusively in a small section between the front door and the side door... I dread to think of the amount of booze that must have found its way out of that side door without troubling the checkouts

The Waitrose in Southend-on-Sea has the frozen isles in the middle, bakery and alcohol are at the back. Guess the logic is that the checkouts are at the bottom middle of the store so the frozen isles should be near the checkouts, which makes sense
Wolfout29/03/2020 00:35

The Waitrose in Southend-on-Sea has the frozen isles in the middle, bakery …The Waitrose in Southend-on-Sea has the frozen isles in the middle, bakery and alcohol are at the back. Guess the logic is that the checkouts are at the bottom middle of the store so the frozen isles should be near the checkouts, which makes sense

I remember watching a documentary series about a supermarket by the seafront & I have to admit they did do it different there because of the dramatic differences of the seasons due to people going there in the summer.
She was after your pound coin
With Tesco clubcard, are you able to pay when checking out with points, if so, maybe she thought she could pay for the items in the trolley with your points at checkout. Not sure if it works that way, but if it does then she was trying to steal
May I ask which Tesco it was
Maybe she had some mental health issues? Memory challenges?
Maybe she saw you buying the stuff she needed and most of the stuff was out of stock and tried to steal your shopping. It will be happening more with stock low and everything going on around the world. We must stay at home to save the NHS
Willy_Wonka29/03/2020 00:42

I remember watching a documentary series about a supermarket by the …I remember watching a documentary series about a supermarket by the seafront & I have to admit they did do it different there because of the dramatic differences of the seasons due to people going there in the summer.

My Tesco is 2 miles from the beach.
bozo00729/03/2020 07:08

Maybe she had some mental health issues? Memory challenges?

Maybe she was a thieving bint?

Perhaps the OP had 48 rolls of Andrex in the trolley?

Edited by: "spannerzone" 29th Mar
Did you pistol whip her at the back of the head and got your stuff back?
spannerzone29/03/2020 13:23

Maybe she was a thieving bint?Perhaps the OP had 48 rolls of Andrex in the …Maybe she was a thieving bint?Perhaps the OP had 48 rolls of Andrex in the trolley?

like this one? couldn't blame anyone wanting to nick this at the moment to be honest

mutley128/03/2020 23:32

i have mistaken other people's trolleys for mine if they have similar …i have mistaken other people's trolleys for mine if they have similar stuff, then realise a few minutes later when i happen to see something that i didn't put there! luckily i find out before the owner does

Some asshat in Aldi kept getting close enough to me with his trolley yesterday that he caught my ankles a few times never mind social distancing he had never heard of personal space, managed to get a minute where he was distracted enough for me to slip a few packs of sanitary towels under his shopping whilst he was trying to get shower gel from the back of the bottom shelf.
mutley129/03/2020 20:25

like this one? couldn't blame anyone wanting to nick this at the moment …like this one? couldn't blame anyone wanting to nick this at the moment to be honest [Image]

Haha I hope you are feeling better today
OMG all these comments well firstly I only had fruits and veggies in my trolley so no toilet paper . I didn’t even bother going to that section as the shelves would be empty anyway . And second I know I haven’t lost my common sense if it was a mistake which we all do from time to time I would know it but she got my trolley and was running away and when I called to stop her she just left my trolley and left even people around us was shocked to see that .
And the reason I shared it here was only because I wanted to check if there is some sort of scam going on using scan as you shop system . Also to aware all that there are some weird people out there after watching some guy on tv licking the bottles on the store shelves so look after your trolleys lol
sydney229/03/2020 05:04

May I ask which Tesco it was

Twickenham
Edited by: "angelinawah" 29th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions