A level maths

Posted 24th Jan
Hi does anyone know the grade boundaries for last years A level maths? I've been told it's around 55% for an A?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
No idea sorry, but 55% for an A? No wonder the some many people claim to have A’s at a level!

How can you claim to have an A if you only know just over half of the answers? Surely that should be a C or D! An A grade should be above 80% at least!
20 Comments
I like to know aswel
Probably varies from exam board to exam board and also which 'sort' of maths but that would appear to be about right. Google it, and you will find your answer. Pretty sure I did read back in the summer that it was around 55% - 60%.
No idea sorry, but 55% for an A? No wonder the some many people claim to have A’s at a level!

How can you claim to have an A if you only know just over half of the answers? Surely that should be a C or D! An A grade should be above 80% at least!
tom2kadd124/01/2020 09:36

No idea sorry, but 55% for an A? No wonder the some many people claim to …No idea sorry, but 55% for an A? No wonder the some many people claim to have A’s at a level!How can you claim to have an A if you only know just over half of the answers? Surely that should be a C or D! An A grade should be above 80% at least!

In the good old days you would have been right.

No idea sorry, but 55% for an A? No wonder the some many people claim to …No idea sorry, but 55% for an A? No wonder the some many people claim to have A’s at a level!How can you claim to have an A if you only know just over half of the answers? Surely that should be a C or D! An A grade should be above 80% at least!

Yeah it's around 50 for an A as maths is probably the hardest A level you can do
12345432124/01/2020 09:58

Yeah it's around 50 for an A as maths is probably the hardest A level you …Yeah it's around 50 for an A as maths is probably the hardest A level you can do

Then surely if you only know half of what you need to get full marks, you don’t know it very well and don’t deserve an A? That the whole point of grades! Do you only need to get your name right to get a C?
tom2kadd124/01/2020 10:01

Then surely if you only know half of what you need to get full marks, you …Then surely if you only know half of what you need to get full marks, you don’t know it very well and don’t deserve an A? That the whole point of grades! Do you only need to get your name right to get a C?

Lower grade boundaries just means it's more difficult. A few years ago with the old syllabus they had the problem that too many people were getting 90%+ so of course they had to make it harder. The grade boundaries normally drop when they start a new syllabus.

...No wonder the some many people claim to have A’s at a level!...

What was your highest grade in English?

If there is a specific quota of entrants that are required to attain an "A" grade, then I also agree that if the threshold to be awarded that grade is answering just 55% of the answers correctly, then this probably indicates the failure of our education system compared to the average marks gained in previous generations.

Maybe if you cared to learn HOW they set the grade boundaries, you'd understand why they do it rather than blindly chiming in without understanding.

Different exam boards set different exam papers. There isn't a single grade boundary across all exam boards, because different exam papers may be harder/easier than others.

They take the raw marks from exam boards, then calculate a UMS mark (unified mark scheme) which results in a score comparable across all exam boards.

If an exam board set a particularly hard paper, then the RAW mark required for an A would be lower. That's probably what happened in the 55% case. If an exam board set an easier paper, then you'd need better marks to get an A.

The UMS boundaries, having undergone the scaling process, are set here: en.wikipedia.org/wik…eme. You'll see that after UMS process, you need at least 80%.
JosephRedfern24/01/2020 10:33

Maybe if you cared to learn HOW they set the grade boundaries, you'd …Maybe if you cared to learn HOW they set the grade boundaries, you'd understand why they do it rather than blindly chiming in without understanding.Different exam boards set different exam papers. There isn't a single grade boundary across all exam boards, because different exam papers may be harder/easier than others.They take the raw marks from exam boards, then calculate a UMS mark (unified mark scheme) which results in a score comparable across all exam boards.If an exam board set a particularly hard paper, then the RAW mark required for an A would be lower. That's probably what happened in the 55% case. If an exam board set an easier paper, then you'd need better marks to get an A.The UMS boundaries, having undergone the scaling process, are set here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme. You'll see that after UMS process, you need at least 80%.

Thanks.

Would it not be a radical suggestion to just teach everybody the same syllabus & then set everybody the same examination papers?

If this is the case, do you know if there is a set allocation of entrants pre-determined for each grade & adjustments are made to grade thresholds if that target is not reached?
123lola24/01/2020 09:10

I like to know aswel

You need the one for the English exam, not Maths

The issue becomes worse at University when grade A students now struggle to pass the maths exams and many foreign students are getting the A grades.
deleted1781224/01/2020 10:15

What was your highest grade in English? If there is a specific quota of …What was your highest grade in English? If there is a specific quota of entrants that are required to attain an "A" grade, then I also agree that if the threshold to be awarded that grade is answering just 55% of the answers correctly, then this probably indicates the failure of our education system compared to the average marks gained in previous generations.

Unfortunately I don’t have a degree in proof reading or predictive text!
JosephRedfern24/01/2020 10:33

Maybe if you cared to learn HOW they set the grade boundaries, you'd …Maybe if you cared to learn HOW they set the grade boundaries, you'd understand why they do it rather than blindly chiming in without understanding.Different exam boards set different exam papers. There isn't a single grade boundary across all exam boards, because different exam papers may be harder/easier than others.They take the raw marks from exam boards, then calculate a UMS mark (unified mark scheme) which results in a score comparable across all exam boards.If an exam board set a particularly hard paper, then the RAW mark required for an A would be lower. That's probably what happened in the 55% case. If an exam board set an easier paper, then you'd need better marks to get an A.The UMS boundaries, having undergone the scaling process, are set here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme. You'll see that after UMS process, you need at least 80%.

I maintain my point.
123lola24/01/2020 09:10

I like to know aswel

I hope you're not sitting an English 'A' Level
deleted1781224/01/2020 10:53

Thanks.Would it not be a radical suggestion to just teach everybody the …Thanks.Would it not be a radical suggestion to just teach everybody the same syllabus & then set everybody the same examination papers? If this is the case, do you know if there is a set allocation of entrants pre-determined for each grade & adjustments are made to grade thresholds if that target is not reached?

You mean UK wide? Well, given that the education system is devolved (not that it ever was the same in Scotland), that's never going to happen. The majority of students in Scotland working towards A-levels will be in private schools, as the rest are working on Highers, and Advanced Highers.
Edited by: "alg" 24th Jan
Gollywood24/01/2020 12:47

I hope you're not sitting an English 'A' Level

I already have and passed wth an A thank u very much

Someone's upset because their A level boundaries werent as low
@.MUFC. Did you have a notification message from "hotukdeals_team" about your comment being removed (that I replied to)?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants