A list of B & Q stores set to re-open.

Posted 18th AprEdited by:"richp"
Having watched other essential retailers support social distancing in their stores, we are now in a position to follow best practice and re-open a small number of stores as a trial, while keeping our colleagues and customers safe. The trial stores are: Cardiff (Culverhouse Cross), Chester, Coventry (Brandon Road), Fareham, Gillingham, Ipswich, Nursling, Paisley, Plymouth, Stockport, Sutton in Ashfield, Watford, West Thurrock, and York (Hull Road). Click + Collect is temporarily not available at these stores.

Linky McLinky
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
eslick18/04/2020 16:01

Yeah all of those looking for their essentials, paint, plants etc, just …Yeah all of those looking for their essentials, paint, plants etc, just like Pret they are trying to be sneaky against the rules but hey plenty of other open selling not just essentials.

Just playing Devils advocate here, but the items they sell could I suppose be essential to some people. Let’s say someone is home alone and getting a bit depressed, they can garden to take their minds away for example.
16 Comments
Hopefully help all those people that are stuck in doors with nothing to do.
richp18/04/2020 15:51

Yeah all of those looking for their essentials, paint, plants etc.

Some places are trying to get round the rules, Pret and KFC are examples but hey plenty of other open selling not just essentials which B&Q fall into essential category but of course sell plenty of non essentials.
Edited by: "eslick" 18th Apr
richp18/04/2020 15:51

That's one way of looking at it, the other way is retailers opening the door to a second wave of infections.
Yeah I completely understand. I'm just wondering in the future if companies such as this will start to do home delivery (permanent) like the food deliveries.

Yeah all of those looking for their essentials, paint, plants etc, just …Yeah all of those looking for their essentials, paint, plants etc, just like Pret they are trying to be sneaky against the rules but hey plenty of other open selling not just essentials.

Just playing Devils advocate here, but the items they sell could I suppose be essential to some people. Let’s say someone is home alone and getting a bit depressed, they can garden to take their minds away for example.
Alcohol and cigs are essential. DIY and gardening not. Not allowed to tend to allotment either. Hmm...
harrythefish18/04/2020 17:20

Alcohol and cigs are essential. DIY and gardening not. Not allowed to tend …Alcohol and cigs are essential. DIY and gardening not. Not allowed to tend to allotment either. Hmm...

Never thought about alotments, that's bad
I thought allotments were OK to attend as long as you practice social distancing.

Yeah you can, just checked my local council website :

Allotments remain open across the conurbation.

We ask plot holders to follow government advice for their own personal situation, for example, if you are over 70 or have a health condition, you should avoid them.

For others, we insist on social distancing and ask people to wash their hands after touching shared surfaces like watering points, gates and padlocks.
Edited by: "richp" 18th Apr
richp18/04/2020 18:03

I thought allotments were OK to attend as long as you practice social …I thought allotments were OK to attend as long as you practice social distancing.Yeah you can, just checked my local council website :Allotments remain open across the conurbation.We ask plot holders to follow government advice for their own personal situation, for example, if you are over 70 or have a health condition, you should avoid them.For others, we insist on social distancing and ask people to wash their hands after touching shared surfaces like watering points, gates and padlocks.

i thought allotments were just for storing grandads pron collection?

B&Q sell a lot of plumbing, electrical and general building equipment/supplies.
If your tap or pipe starts to leak, a light switch or power socket goes bad, your front/back door lock/handle breaks or your shed/fence/doghouse is damaged it is essential that it's fixed.
Even if your not doing it yourself the plumber/electrician/builder/handyman will need supplies.
richp18/04/2020 18:03

I thought allotments were OK to attend as long as you practice social …I thought allotments were OK to attend as long as you practice social distancing.Yeah you can, just checked my local council website :Allotments remain open across the conurbation.We ask plot holders to follow government advice for their own personal situation, for example, if you are over 70 or have a health condition, you should avoid them.For others, we insist on social distancing and ask people to wash their hands after touching shared surfaces like watering points, gates and padlocks.

At the beginning of the lockdown there was the repeated statement on the BBC that allotments were off limits. If you go online and check your own councils rules you may find that contradicted.

Bury St Edmunds Town Council come under fire after decision to close allotments in response to coronavirus guidelines
buryfreepress.co.uk/new…94/

So long as allotment holders are internet savvy they can check.
Just part of the generally shambolic policy making.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 18th Apr
joedastudd18/04/2020 18:16

B&Q sell a lot of plumbing, electrical and general building …B&Q sell a lot of plumbing, electrical and general building equipment/supplies.If your tap or pipe starts to leak, a light switch or power socket goes bad, your front/back door lock/handle breaks or your shed/fence/doghouse is damaged it is essential that it's fixed.Even if your not doing it yourself the plumber/electrician/builder/handyman will need supplies.

yes fully agree with both of you, as I said there are other stores that sell essentials and other things and get away with it. Problem is the poster I replied to was not suggesting essential ‘ helping people stuck indoors with nothing to do.” B&Qs owner already has a business open for all those essentials, and many are close by.

The reality is open up B&Q and you get the non essentials being bought, just had to look at the queues last week for their click and collect for plants, paint etc, people were queuing for hours online then hours for the click and collect at the stores. Much of which are not essentials and the list issued yesterday clearly said we shouldn’t be buying paint but should be buying emergency repairs.

On the mental heath side agree with everything you said, trouble is that it’s again classed as non essential and sadly If people get stopped and say that they will probably end up making themselves even more anxious, especially if they get one of the fines that have been dished out,

ReecesWaffle9518/04/2020 16:56

Just playing Devils advocate here, but the items they sell could I suppose …Just playing Devils advocate here, but the items they sell could I suppose be essential to some people. Let’s say someone is home alone and getting a bit depressed, they can garden to take their minds away for example.

Edited by: "eslick" 18th Apr
harrythefish18/04/2020 19:13

At the beginning of the lockdown there was the repeated statement on the …At the beginning of the lockdown there was the repeated statement on the BBC that allotments were off limits. If you go online and check your own councils rules you may find that contradicted.Bury St Edmunds Town Council come under fire after decision to close allotments in response to coronavirus guidelineshttps://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/decision-to-close-allotments-is-a-kneejerk-reaction-9105294/So long as allotment holders are internet savvy they can check.Just part of the generally shambolic policy making.

My old man has live stock on his allotment. There's no way he 'd just leave them to die. Plus his chickens are good egg layers.
if they wernt allowed to open they wouldnt be open - hardware is on the list thats allowed to open and your allowed to buy anything that a store that is allowed to open sells

Hence why M&S have moved a selection of clothes into the foodhall in my local store

if people dont like it lock yourself at home
Remember all these companies not fully open will be losing revenue so why can they not fully open providing they put measures in place otherwise they could go bust in 6 months time.
Here's the full list of stores now open:
  • Aberdeen
  • Bamber Bridge
  • Basildon
  • Blackpool
  • Bolton
  • Bury
  • Cardiff
  • Cardiff (Culverhouse Cross)
  • Cheetham Hill
  • Chester
  • Chiswick