A little life tip I would like to share

Found 6th Mar
*Whether you do a good job or a bad job, you get paid the same each month.

*Applies to most job but not all e.g.will not apply to self employed, craftsmen etc.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Some people take pride in themselves and do the best they can whatever the circumstances.
That's really not good advice. In fact it's awful.
Its clearly job dependant and OP clearly says not self employed people.

I have This attitude at my job, I do everything correctly but I don't go above and beyond, because it's just not recognised where I work and irrelevant. I am already faster and better than 70% of the work force taking my time, so why work harder just to pick up others slack.

Career progression isn't about how hard you work it's about how much butt you eat, who you schmooze and towing the company line.
Whether you do a good job or a bad job, you get paid the same each month.

Sounds like something from a British Leyland manufacturing plant, circa 1976.
45 Comments
So there is no real point is stressing about work or even going out of your way to do an amazing job.
I always liked : "If you're not part of the solution, you can make a decent living prolonging the problem."

Works very well in certain sectors.
Some people take pride in themselves and do the best they can whatever the circumstances.
"*Whether you do a good job or a bad job, you get paid the same each month."
Is sad but true.

However come restructure time, the blow and good jobs keep their livelihoods.
Don't agree.

"In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins: cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later." Harold S. Geneen
Whether you do a good job or a bad job, you get paid the same each month.

Sounds like something from a British Leyland manufacturing plant, circa 1976.
That's really not good advice. In fact it's awful.
I bet you would want a good job done, rather than a bad one, if you had to get work done on your house.
But if you do a good job rather than bad you can get paid more
The work is hard,
The pay is small,
so take your time,
and stuff them all.
Could the team explain what on earth was wrong with saying you won't get a promotion if you don't put everything into your work? Surely I'm offering good advice, I'm really disappointed in this.
david_wavid1 h, 25 m ago

So there is no real point is stressing about work or even going out of …So there is no real point is stressing about work or even going out of your way to do an amazing job.

And there lies the problem, a problem I would say is more common amongst the indigenous workforce in the UK than any other source. Do an amazing job for yourself first and foremost. It's good for the soul
Sounds like you're a motivational speaker for Parliament!
I think he is saying work to your own pace don't over do yourself to create stress no one needs stress so take a step back when you need to
If you're happy doing the same job you're doing now for the rest of your life AND and are confident there will be no downsizing/redundancies then fine. Not such good advice for the rest of us.
Edited by: "spoo" 6th Mar
This rule works really well for those who don't mind being laid off or if you like avoiding promotion.

I'll give it a swerve - thanks for sharing, though.

33386804-88V38.jpg
That's a pretty poor tip. If somebody follows that advice, how are they meant to get any career progression?
Remind me to never hire you, or give a good reference or recommend you for a promotion or any pay rise ever....
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 6th Mar
This is the problem with society today they think the world owes them something. "Work hard play hard" is much better advice if I built a kitchen extension and applied some of the silly comments on here I'd be out of work and doing something I don't like in a matter of months. Take pride in what you do guys the British used to have a great rep in manufacturing just like the Germans do.
A good life tip I like to live by .....

Don't eat yellow snow..
Well, it got people talking... That's all though!
Edited by: "mrty" 6th Mar
Its clearly job dependant and OP clearly says not self employed people.

I have This attitude at my job, I do everything correctly but I don't go above and beyond, because it's just not recognised where I work and irrelevant. I am already faster and better than 70% of the work force taking my time, so why work harder just to pick up others slack.

Career progression isn't about how hard you work it's about how much butt you eat, who you schmooze and towing the company line.
There are a lot of Stuntmen out there, that don't work as hard as me, i can tell you.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 6th Mar
I work hard when the job I do requires it (some here know what i do but most don't)

The rest of my shift I spend either browsing on here or watching tv
I've two jobs , one is full of targets etc , anyone that doesn't work to the expected level is put on a form of "improvement plan " , which quite frankly I've no desire to find myself on . Also my pay rise ( yes I know I'm lucky to get one ) is based on what I've done the previous year, perform poorly and you will lose out financially . The second job I do because I loveit , pay isn't great but I give it my all because it's important to me for other reasons . So I think I'll carry on as I am ta very much for the useful insight.
This is good advice for those doing a hard job or more than what they should and getting attitude or worse instead of reward. This is bad advice for those that go out their way and get rewarded. So depends how you take it
catbeans1 h, 16 m ago

Its clearly job dependant and OP clearly says not self employed people.I …Its clearly job dependant and OP clearly says not self employed people.I have This attitude at my job, I do everything correctly but I don't go above and beyond, because it's just not recognised where I work and irrelevant. I am already faster and better than 70% of the work force taking my time, so why work harder just to pick up others slack. Career progression isn't about how hard you work it's about how much butt you eat, who you schmooze and towing the company line.

If you're as good as you think you are and the company you work for doesn't recognise it, find another job.
Enjoy your job, if you don't then change it. Id sooner work minimum wage and enjoy it than hate a well paid job
MR11231 h, 3 m ago

This is good advice for those doing a hard job or more than what they …This is good advice for those doing a hard job or more than what they should and getting attitude or worse instead of reward. This is bad advice for those that go out their way and get rewarded. So depends how you take it

Splendid
catbeans2 h, 29 m ago

. Career progression isn't about how hard you work it's about how much …. Career progression isn't about how hard you work it's about how much butt you eat, who you schmooze and towing the company line.

I disagree. I've had progression from being creative, redefining The company line and even going out side of it for the greater good. streamlining and coming up with ways to make doing things easier, and saving time and money in the process. Didn't eat anyones butt, just did what I did and the results spoke for them selves.
themachman41 m ago

Enjoy your job, if you don't then change it. Id sooner work minimum wage …Enjoy your job, if you don't then change it. Id sooner work minimum wage and enjoy it than hate a well paid job

I used to think like that, but now I would chase the money every time.
Not for me, thanks, @david_wavid

You can share further your tip by:
33388954-6QnuQ.jpg
OllieSt3 h, 21 m ago

If you're as good as you think you are and the company you work for …If you're as good as you think you are and the company you work for doesn't recognise it, find another job.

Thanks but I'm very happy at my job, I work to live not live to work.

mrwhitelabel2 h, 8 m ago

I disagree. I've had progression from being creative, redefining The …I disagree. I've had progression from being creative, redefining The company line and even going out side of it for the greater good. streamlining and coming up with ways to make doing things easier, and saving time and money in the process. Didn't eat anyones butt, just did what I did and the results spoke for them selves.

What do you do for a living?
And meanwhile colleagues who decide not to work hard get paid the same as me while I'm clearing up their excrement, winds me up and should I ever have my own business those are the ones that wouldnt last 5 minutes, Can't stand slackers!
mrwhitelabel3 h, 5 m ago

I disagree. I've had progression from being creative, redefining The …I disagree. I've had progression from being creative, redefining The company line and even going out side of it for the greater good. streamlining and coming up with ways to make doing things easier, and saving time and money in the process. Didn't eat anyones butt, just did what I did and the results spoke for them selves.

Wow, what are the odds of you cat catbeans working at the same company?
david_wavid12 h, 50 m ago

So there is no real point is stressing about work or even going out of …So there is no real point is stressing about work or even going out of your way to do an amazing job.

What's an example of an amazing job for a self-employed earning £5 an hour? What makes it amazing?
david_wavid14 h, 5 m ago

Remember that if you ever require the emergency services...

If the paramedics dont do an amazing job to save someones life or their ambulance breaks down en-route due to the mechanic not worrying about doing an amazing job...
catbeans6th Mar

Its clearly job dependant and OP clearly says not self employed people.I …Its clearly job dependant and OP clearly says not self employed people.I have This attitude at my job, I do everything correctly but I don't go above and beyond, because it's just not recognised where I work and irrelevant. I am already faster and better than 70% of the work force taking my time, so why work harder just to pick up others slack. Career progression isn't about how hard you work it's about how much butt you eat, who you schmooze and towing the company line.

Took the words right out of my mouth!
Some chips on shoulders round here.
No wonder uk productivity is so low if people have this appalling attitude

Disgusting really.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants