A lot of help on building my own Gaming PC.

Found 30th May
Hi all, looking to build a PC within the coming months with a budget of around £1500 more or less.

Im not very familiar with the PC components and had a few questions.

Is there a complete guide that would allow me to build the PC from start to finish? Eg. Explaining the various core pieces aswell as things such as type of screws, wires required to connect to the monitors etc.

What is essential knowledge in building one? Ive read a processor determines the motherboard and not all parts just randomly fit.

Is there some place i can increase my knowledge of each part and its function? All the letters and numbers of part names remind me of doing algebra back in school . Is there a magazine i could read or a couple of links explaining it in a thorough but simple way.

Where should i look for my parts? Looking for somewhere reliable.

Got any suggestions on some great/hype/old/new MMORPGs or RPGs in general?

I want to build this Gaming PC myself but i also want/need as much knowledge about it as possible. If i haven’t mentioned anything and you think its worth noting or you made a hiccup when you first started id greatly appreciate the warning.

Thank you.
Community Updates
AskGaming
5 Comments
great site to use is pc part picker, allows you to list and add all the components you need and it should tell you about compatibility issues that come up (though it's not 100% foolproof it's as accurate as can be for the billions of parts that you could put together)
using that site I would suggest going through each part and basically googling "what is a cpu" and repeating for each part if that's what you want to learn about, also try phrases like "cpu comparison 2018" for various reviews on each part can help

get an SSD for OS/core programs then a HDD for games and other programs.
do you have screens already? as they will factor into cost a lot and connections can affect what GPU you get, though you could probably get adapters
search on youtube 'how to build a gaming PC'

popular channels would include:

linustechtips
jayztwocents
bitwit
paul's hardware

and others
Buy a case, buy a motherboard which has all the screws to attach to the case and attach a few wires for the power/reset button from the case to the motherboard, buy a processor which fits into that motherboard and fit a heat sink and fan, fit a power supply into the case and plug into the motherboard, slot a graphics card onto the motherboard and connect to the power supply add any hard drives and dvd drives etc and connect to the power supply and motherboard, possibly slot a wireless card into the motherboard, slot some memory into the motherboard.

That's pretty much it.

To pick out the parts look for benchmarks of a certain game you want to play and see which graphics card and processor you would need to play smoothly at the resolution of whatever monitor you are buying.

If you have a 22" monitor and the resolution is 1920x1080 maybe an nvidia 1060 for the graphics card and a recent i3 or i5 for the processor etc.
With a £1500 budget, you should be pretty well set for a decent build, though going used for some parts may allow it to be stretched further... are you including monitor in the budget.

As you mention, Motherboard and processor are tied together, along with a suitable heatsink (some are multiple mounting).
Case is very much a matter of taste, and if you want a show-off windowed system then you may be splashing extra on components with controllable lighting.

The processor and graphics card also set the power requirement, and a decent quality PSU with an adequate rating is one of the best investments in a PC.

If the motherboard supports a M2 SSD in PCI-E/NVME mode, then a M2 (PCI-E) SSD would be the best boot device, you would also combine it with a decent sized hard disk, as a SSD big enough for everything would be pretty expensive.

In general, a new motherboard is usually packed with some SATA data cables, the case should include screws or use screwless fittings. The monitor, these days, you would expect to use DVI … putting digital picture down analog VGA and back to a digital LCD is outdated. For higher frame rates, you may want to match an AMD graphics to a Freesync monitor or Nvidia graphics to a G-Sync Monitor - if mismatched, they operate in standard fixed sync mode without adaptive frame rates - it's a nice feature, but not essential.
Adding to adam's list of sites tomshardware has been going since 1996 and is fairly well received alongside its sister site of AnandTech - both are worth a current browse on latest news, products, reviews.

Specifically on tomshardware they have this article they published this a couple of years ago: BUILD YOUR OWN PC and isn't a bad start in answering some of the questions you have asked.

As to tid bits on what I would tell someone new to building a pc, these 3 would be my first:
Read about anti static precautions before starting. It isn't complicated to ensure you minimise potential difference to mitigate whilst damage can range from complete failure to slow oxidation to the substrate.

Do not place items ontop of the anti static bag - its job is to protect the contents inside the bag by deflecting charge around the outside, the principal is that of a faraday cage placing ontop increases potential area.

Most common fault you see those new in forums with Intel is having manhandled the cpu/fan and accidently bent the pins on the motherboard.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 31st May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants