A mini break to Edinburgh - recommendations etc!

Found 21st Aug 2017Edited by:"Tiddly_fiddly"
Hi all!

Me and hubby are planning a mini break to Edinburgh in November. Never been there before!

Can anyone recommend what area would be the best.

We want to go out and about, lots of exploring & sightseeing! I am thinking of booking an apartment on Air Bnb.

We will be flying there, so somewhere not too far from airport

Any recommendations/idea would be appreciated.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Easy to get into the city centre from the airport. There's nothing much to do way out there. Edinburgh is compact and the tourist attractions are in the city centre so you are better off staying there
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

Easy to get into the city centre from the airport. There's nothing much to …Easy to get into the city centre from the airport. There's nothing much to do way out there. Edinburgh is compact and the tourist attractions are in the city centre so you are better off staying there

Thank you!
You can get the tram from the airport, which is a nice run, or the cheaper option, the Airlink bus which takes you right onto Waverly Bridge. Up a few yards from the stop are Princes Street and fancy pubs like the Cafe Royal, and the gardens, the other side of which are art galleries. Down the way takes you to Cockburn St, a steep but short walk up to the High St and castle. This is tourist central, and can be busy and a bit annoying in my opinion. Leith Walk is a short distance away and an interesting area, with lots of pubs, cafes and theatre etc. There's a good SYHA hostel there, and there are plenty of hotels and BnBs all over. You might look at Haymarket end of Princes St, still central and possibly a bit cheaper for somewhere nice to stay. I stayed at Pirie's Hotel last year and it was pretty good. I hope you have a lovely time. It's an interesting city to visit.
aninginaneana2 m ago

You can get the tram from the airport, which is a nice run, or the cheaper …You can get the tram from the airport, which is a nice run, or the cheaper option, the Airlink bus which takes you right onto Waverly Bridge. Up a few yards from the stop are Princes Street and fancy pubs like the Cafe Royal, and the gardens, the other side of which are art galleries. Down the way takes you to Cockburn St, a steep but short walk up to the High St and castle. This is tourist central, and can be busy and a bit annoying in my opinion. Leith Walk is a short distance away and an interesting area, with lots of pubs, cafes and theatre etc. There's a good SYHA hostel there, and there are plenty of hotels and BnBs all over. You might look at Haymarket end of Princes St, still central and possibly a bit cheaper for somewhere nice to stay. I stayed at Pirie's Hotel last year and it was pretty good. I hope you have a lovely time. It's an interesting city to visit.

Hiya! Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to give me all this information. It has helped a lot. Thanks again.
The castle, the museums, Greyfriar's Bobby , Princes Street and the new town are all within walking distance of the Royal Mile so try to get within that vicinity. If you can, try and visit Mary King's Close. Really interesting. Enjoy your break, Edinburgh is lovely
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

The castle, the museums, Greyfriar's Bobby , Princes Street and the new …The castle, the museums, Greyfriar's Bobby , Princes Street and the new town are all within walking distance of the Royal Mile so try to get within that vicinity. If you can, try and visit Mary King's Close. Really interesting. Enjoy your break, Edinburgh is lovely

Hey! thank you very much. Its great everything is more of less walking distance or a bus ride.. Lovely! looking forward to It very much
We went to all the usual tourist hotspots. Would recommend camera obscura camera-obscura.co.uk

Jump in a tour bus - cheap way of seeung the city. I thought it was lovely up there. We've stayed on Princes Street ramada both times and thought this was well located for our needs (pretty much tourists!).
Oooh, do a night ghost tour. You've got to. They're fab. I did a really great one and the 'host' was superb. Witty and informative, he really built the tension whilst explaining some of the horrific history of the city. It was a long while ago but I think it was about a tenner a head. You do quite a bit of walking and we covered a fair distance but it was at a reasonable pace and didn't seem rushed at all. We ended up in a graveyard crypt and the finale of the tour was fantastic. Well worth the time/money if you don't mind hoofing it!

mercattours.com/tou…urs

cityofthedeadtours.com

auldreekietours.com
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 22nd Aug 2017
Nshizzle11 h, 22 m ago

We went to all the usual tourist hotspots. Would recommend camera obscura …We went to all the usual tourist hotspots. Would recommend camera obscura http://www.camera-obscura.co.ukJump in a tour bus - cheap way of seeung the city. I thought it was lovely up there. We've stayed on Princes Street ramada both times and thought this was well located for our needs (pretty much tourists!).

Thank you!
Phsycronix7 m ago

Oooh, do a night ghost tour. You've got to. They're fab. I did a really …Oooh, do a night ghost tour. You've got to. They're fab. I did a really great one and the 'host' was superb. Witty and informative, he really built the tension whilst explaining some of the horrific history of the city. It was a long while ago but I think it was about a tenner a head. You do quite a bit of walking and we covered a fair distance but it was at a reasonable pace and didn't seem rushed at all. We ended up in a graveyard crypt and the finale of the tour was fantastic. Well worth the time/money if you don't mind hoofing it!

OOO!!! I have heard about the ghost tour, does sound good! Will defo look into that. Thanks everyone.
The national museum is fantastic and free. Stay an extra night and go to Glasgow for a night. Edinburgh is lovely but Glasgow is where it happens in Scotland!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants