A Problem with a neighbour

Found 30th Sep 2017
My neighbour wanted to have his walls rendered and told us it was only going to be 2 weeks disruption (blocked guinnel/entry that was on my property and fed 3 houses) his gable end wall was in my guinnel that was blocked with scaffold so i could not get my wheelchair,mobility scooter or wheelie bins down the path from my garage,we tried to get my scooter in through the front door but damaged the thresher, we have lots of bin bags in my yard due to this blocked access which has lasted for 7 weeks not the 2 he said, have i got any way to resolve this legaly?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Have you tried speaking to your neighbour first, explaining about your now restricted access and the nuisance it's causing you?
it is never clear what to do in these instances as there does not seem to be anyone you can report the issue to. try to speak to the neighbour and explain the disruption to try to hurry them up, but often the delay is not within their control because it is caused by the builders, the weather etc.

i doubt they would want the disruption to last either as no one wants that for their own property, even if they don't live in it.
Original Poster
pricesavvy35 m ago

Have you tried speaking to your neighbour first, explaining about your now …Have you tried speaking to your neighbour first, explaining about your now restricted access and the nuisance it's causing you?

yes and it drew a blank
I assume he has access to perform repairs but these should be carried out in a timely manner and should not inconvience you. I would argue that 7 weeks to perform this work is excessive and is causing you undue hardship.

Atleast he could help you move your rubbish as a good will gesture.
Didn't realise dinosaurs could use wheelchairs!

Hope you get it sorted though!
Tell your neighbour you want it done within a week otherwise you'll contact the scaffolding company and get them to remove the scaffolding on your property, you granted access for 2 weeks only, it's your land so you have that right.

I would imagine the scaffolding company will charge your neighbour for the removal or changes required, so now your neighbour has a financial incentive to move his or her ass.
PKRichie2 h, 53 m ago

Tell your neighbour you want it done within a week otherwise you'll …Tell your neighbour you want it done within a week otherwise you'll contact the scaffolding company and get them to remove the scaffolding on your property, you granted access for 2 weeks only, it's your land so you have that right.I would imagine the scaffolding company will charge your neighbour for the removal or changes required, so now your neighbour has a financial incentive to move his or her ass.

Thing is it's sometimes the scaffolding company that is causing the problem, for example I had a situation some years ago where I had a new roof fitted, the builders had finished all the work but the scaffolding company took another two months before they removed the scaffolding.
They quite often try it on like this as it saves them having to take it all down and return it to their yard and unload/store it as it's cheaper and easier to just leave it at someone else's property. I was just about on the verge of removing it myself or getting a solicitor involved when they actually turned up to remove it.
Dyslexic_Dog34 m ago

Thing is it's sometimes the scaffolding company that is causing the …Thing is it's sometimes the scaffolding company that is causing the problem, for example I had a situation some years ago where I had a new roof fitted, the builders had finished all the work but the scaffolding company took another two months before they removed the scaffolding.They quite often try it on like this as it saves them having to take it all down and return it to their yard and unload/store it as it's cheaper and easier to just leave it at someone else's property. I was just about on the verge of removing it myself or getting a solicitor involved when they actually turned up to remove it.

I thought skips were bad at about a week but two months is a long time.
Perhaps you could speak to your local council to see if there are grounds of Environmental Health getting involved as your access to empty your bins are restricted. Least you want are any rodents rummaging through your bin bags.

Having a quick look on Citizen Advice there are possible grounds you could get some assistance from the council.

citizensadvice.org.uk/hou…es/

If that doesn't work. As your previous talk to your neighbour fell on deaf ears. I would invoice him £10 a week for the use of your land for the weeks they have exceeded the time frame.
Can't offer any better advice than what has already been offered but hope that your situation is resolved quickly.

Knowing that for whatever reason there is someone who needs to use a wheelchair/mobility scooter and there access isrestricted/blocked by "building works" is heartbreaking. I know that such incidents would not be permissible on public land (council etc) and wonder if the council would be a relevant contact (even if you are a home owner/tenant).

I'm guessing your neighbour is not the sort who cares...
Original Poster
Rang the scaffold firm and it's gone.
kester764 h, 3 m ago

I thought skips were bad at about a week but two months is a long time.

It was a large detached property in the back end of nowhere, and only a tiny country lane for access and with a lot of scaffolding to remove and terrible access I honestly think if I hadn't of kicked off it would still be there now!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions