Groups

A pronounciation thread

Just wondered about peoples pronunciaton of certain words, and you can post more and how you think they should be said.

A few times recently I hear people pronounce Primark "premak/premark"

Or in North England people call Aldi Alday and Lidl is Liedil

Was wondering what you all called them or any things you heard that dont sound the same everywhere.

34 Comments

i is from leeds - nuff said lol

i miss words out - mainly "the"

"i'm goin' t' pub.." etc
    and this isn't derived from the text speak slang .. of the new generation...

people i work with are from different parts of the country and think my accent is funny and the words i have for different things are even funnier..
    ie :
    Spice - sweets
    Ginnel - alleyway
    Laykin - playing

anyone else out there like this?

mod

arcangel111

i is from leeds - nuff said lol i miss words out - mainly "the""i'm goin' … i is from leeds - nuff said lol i miss words out - mainly "the""i'm goin' t' pub.." etcand this isn't derived from the text speak slang .. of the new generation...people i work with are from different parts of the country and think my accent is funny and the words i have for different things are even funnier..ie :Spice - sweetsGinnel - alleywayLaykin - playinganyone else out there like this?

I lived in West Yorks for years so am very familiar with laykin and ginnel
    But I'm from Lancashire and gave up asking for a "barmcake" in Wakefield/Huddersfield due to the "Is he mad?" looks I got
    But......ther'es nowt as good as "Put wood in th'ole"
    (Awaits none northern English members request of translation)

landaaaaner here

WTF are you two on about haha

Banned

andywedge

I lived in West Yorks for years so am very familiar with laykin and … I lived in West Yorks for years so am very familiar with laykin and ginnelBut I'm from Lancashire and gave up asking for a "barmcake" in Wakefield/Huddersfield due to the "Is he mad?" looks I gotBut......ther'es nowt as good as "Put wood in th'ole"(Awaits none northern English members request of of translation)

english member request of translation. one of was enough btw (_;)

andywedge

I lived in West Yorks for years so am very familiar with laykin and … I lived in West Yorks for years so am very familiar with laykin and ginnelBut I'm from Lancashire and gave up asking for a "barmcake" in Wakefield/Huddersfield due to the "Is he mad?" looks I gotBut......ther'es nowt as good as "Put wood in th'ole"(Awaits none northern English members request of translation)

hehe, im from lancashire,and I had a friend from burnley that used to call barmcakes teacakes, thought she was mad when she was have a sausage teacake??
    our old lodger from london found it wierd that we(my family) say aint instead of isnt

n around here lidl is just lidl and aldi is just aldi, none of that alday/liedle whatever, thats hows its supposed to be pronounced thow isnt it, thats how iv herd it on an advert liedle, wondered what they were on about
    Edited by: "tatemze" 1st Aug 2010

some say cooker, other say cucker! lol i think its cucker sounds better tho

Well the Scottish accent is pretty difficult to understand - especially further North you go!!! I posted earlier in Chesso's gardening thread about how I found a fabulous website that sold potatoes! Well this website is Scottish and I clicked on a video...................and I really couldnt understand much of what the man was saying lmao !!! He is from "up North" and such a strong accent.

Some examples of Scottish expressions...............

Give us........gee us

Yes - Aye

No - Naw

Gonny no - please dont

Awaynbileyerheid : Go and put your head in a pan of boiling water lol

Skinny Malinky Longlegs! - A tall thin person.

Lang may yer lum reek! - May you live long and stay well.

Dinnae teach yer Granny tae suck eggs! - Don't try to teach someone something they already know.

Haud yer wheesht! - Be quiet. (one of my personal favourites!)

Ah dinnae ken. - I don't know.

Original Poster

bossyboots

Well the Scottish accent is pretty difficult to understand - especially … Well the Scottish accent is pretty difficult to understand - especially further North you go!!! I posted earlier in Chesso's gardening thread about how I found a fabulous website that sold potatoes! Well this website is Scottish and I clicked on a video...................and I really couldnt understand much of what the man was saying lmao !!! He is from "up North" and such a strong accent.Some examples of Scottish expressions...............Give us........gee usYes - AyeNo - NawGonny no - please doneAwaynbileyerheid : Go and put your head in a pan of boiling water lolSkinny Malinky Longlegs! - A tall thin person. Lang may yer lum reek! - May you live long and stay well. Dinnae teach yer Granny tae suck eggs! - Don't try to teach someone something they already know.Haud yer wheesht! - Be quiet. (one of my personal favourites!)Ah dinnae ken. - I don't know.

Jings that is fair crivvens.

lol Ryouga - honestly the further North you go up here the harder it is to understand!!

I have lovely friends on the Orkney Islands and go up few times every year..................well I have been going since 1989 but my husband only past two years and he just struggles with the accent lmao - I laugh at him nodding and smiling when I just know he doesnt have clue what they are saying!!!

Edited by: "bossyboots" 1st Aug 2010

Original Poster

bossyboots

lol Ryouga - honestly the further North you go up here the harder it is … lol Ryouga - honestly the further North you go up here the harder it is to understand!!I have lovely friend on the Orkeny Islands and go up few times every year..................well I have been going since 1989 but my husband only past two years and he just struggles with the accent lmao - I laugh at him nodding and smiling when I just know he doesnt have clue what they are saying!!!

Dont forget I am Scottish so know the accent well, that being said when I lived in England for 2 years and came back for a few days I thought my hometown on the border sounded broad Scottish when before I couldnt pick up a Scottish accent from them or very very watered down.

auch get tae

is a fav of mine (will leave it to the immagination)

Original Poster

micoo

auch get taeis a fav of mine (will leave it to the immagination)

I know what word is missing!

micoo

auch get taeis a fav of mine (will leave it to the immagination)

used here on a daily basis X)

Original Poster

Help ma boab!

ryouga

Help ma boab!

Na your quoting from the imaginary Broons there - doesnt count am afraid X)

ryouga

I know what word is missing!

X) there was several i left out

usually goes along the lines of "get tae **** ya ***** bag" lol

Original Poster

The second word I guess is another word for a female body part lol.

mod

ryman1000

english member request of translation. one of was enough btw (_;)

"Put wood in th'ole" = "Would you be so kind as to put the wood in the hole" = "Shut the door" X)

micoo

X) there was several i left outusually goes along the lines of "get tae … X) there was several i left outusually goes along the lines of "get tae **** ya ***** bag" lol

In Ireland Ive heard people say get out to **** would ye

or when the Gaelic football is on in the pub and the old boys have had a few drinks

GET THAT BALL OUT TO **** WOULD YE

haha

shut t' door

this thread confuses me!

(being from kent we have no lil gems to share!)

Ginnel is the same in Lancashire too.

PS. Lidl is pronounced Liedil (or Lee-dil) in Germany; as that is where the retailer originated.

Aldi is also a German organisation, but pronounced Al-dee.

BFN,

fp.

magicbeans

this thread confuses me!(being from kent we have no lil gems to share!)

Don't you say "cheesybug" meaning a woodlouse in Kent?

BFN,

fp.

fanpages

Ginnel is the same in Lancashire too.PS. Lidl is pronounced Liedil (or … Ginnel is the same in Lancashire too.PS. Lidl is pronounced Liedil (or Lee-dil) in Germany; as that is where the retailer originated.Aldi is also a German organisation, but pronounced Al-dee.BFN,fp.

your 'signature' **** me off

numptyj

your 'signature' **** me off

Nowt so queer as folk.

BFN,

fp.

Oh and people who say tooth like 'tuth', a few friends from Cornwall say it like that.

Such a small country, so many accents....

For the OP

Primark - Pre Mark
    Aldi - Al Day
    Lidl - Lid Al

Some of the ones I have heard are
    Skullary = Kitchen
    Bunker = kitchen worktop
    Wan = One

away 'n' run up ma humf

Sausage Supper - sausage and chips
    roll n chips - chip butty - chip bap
    salt n vinegar (west) - salt n sauce (east)

That Co-Op advert on TV really annoys me.

"Gud with fud"

It's good with foooooooood.
    I don't know who woke up and hired him for a voice over job.

bossyboots

lol Ryouga - honestly the further North you go up here the harder it is … lol Ryouga - honestly the further North you go up here the harder it is to understand!!I have lovely friends on the Orkney Islands and go up few times every year..................well I have been going since 1989 but my husband only past two years and he just struggles with the accent lmao - I laugh at him nodding and smiling when I just know he doesnt have clue what they are saying!!!

I'd say it's worse going east or west, Glaswegian accents can be hard going and broad scots from Aberdeenshire are even worse - I always had trouble understanding one of my friend's Dads from that area. The Highlands are generally easy going by comparison.

John

The Geordie Mafia...they'll make you an offer you can't understand.

"take yer face for a *****" is probably one of my favourite ones...

Talking of Scottish accents getting worse the further north you go, Peterhead is probably one of the worst. Plus saying things like "quine" (girl) and "loon" (boy) just makes everything confusing....

Yeah Peterhead is quite a difficult accent - also agree a wee bit with John re some of the Glasgow accents being very broad!

'fit like' in Aberdeen means How are you.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tradesmen battery power tools.35
      2. Free EE data (contract)56
      3. Info on Browns Family Jewellers01
      4. Foo Fighters O2 live stream?24

See more discussions