Found 21st Jul 2008
My parents are on the full monthly sky package, but only have the normal box.

In order for them to get Sky+, the engineer would have to drill some pretty intrusive holes - so they've ruled Sky+ out as an option.

Therefore can anyone recommend a PVR that will enable them to record programmes off Sky? (has to be Sky as they don't have freeview - and would want to record from Sky Movies & Sky Sports, etc)

thanks

1. Ask
  2. PVR
  3. Sky
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PVR
  3. Sky
12 Comments

there are plenty of HDD recorders out there that have scart sockets so you can record directly from sky box to your recorder. Obviously only one channel recording whilst watching another. I guess you could get one with freeview built in so you could record sky and watch a freeview channel.

I'll have a quick and get back!! Any idea of budget etc?

Original Poster

I guess the key thing they'd be looking for is being able to use the Sky EPG to select programmes to record - is that possible? (they won't want to be switching between Sky & Freeview - plus they'll be wanting to record Sky only channels)

Banned

No Sky are quite fussy that only sky users get to use their EPG.

All hard drive recorders will record a sky channel in a similar way that old VCR's recorded a TV channel.

Original Poster

so does the PVR recognise that you have sky installed and give you the opportunity to select Sky channels to record through its own EPG?

Original Poster

umanga;2574301

there are plenty of HDD recorders out there that have scart sockets so … there are plenty of HDD recorders out there that have scart sockets so you can record directly from sky box to your recorder. Obviously only one channel recording whilst watching another. I guess you could get one with freeview built in so you could record sky and watch a freeview channel.I'll have a quick and get back!! Any idea of budget etc?

thanks - budget sub £100

Banned

robbodobbo;2574437

do does the PVR recognise that you have sky installed and give you the … do does the PVR recognise that you have sky installed and give you the opportunity to select Sky channels to record through its own EPG?

Not that I am aware of, unless they are sky supplied boxes

Original Poster

Foosball Chum;2574507

Not that I am aware of, unless they are sky supplied boxes

so how does it work then? how would they be able to record somethinng off Sky One for example if the PVR's EPG doesn't show it?

I'm confused

If you have already got Sky installed then you will not get any more holes drilled as they merely exchange the cable for what is known as "Shotgun " cable ,a twin coax cable.As for the dish on the wall,the centre piece that the current cable attaches to is repaced with a similar sized item that will accept 4 connections,a quad LNB.Ther is no extra drilling or wiring.

Original Poster

Xrayday;2574591

If you have already got Sky installed then you will not get any more … If you have already got Sky installed then you will not get any more holes drilled as they merely exchange the cable for what is known as "Shotgun " cable ,a twin coax cable.As for the dish on the wall,the centre piece that the current cable attaches to is repaced with a similar sized item that will accept 4 connections,a quad LNB.Ther is no extra drilling or wiring.

well i think the issue also is that the wiring goes under the floorboards, up into the attic, all over the place generally - and parents don't want the carpets to be taken up

Banned

The sky box is fed into the pvr as an external signal. You set the sky box to sky 1 and press record on the pvr. You will not be able to view another sky channel at the same time. Though you would be able to view already recorded stuff or freeview channels.

robbodobbo;2574653

well i think the issue also is that the wiring goes under the … well i think the issue also is that the wiring goes under the floorboards, up into the attic, all over the place generally - and parents don't want the carpets to be taken up

It is quite possible to use Sky+ with a single cable - the two cables are only required if you want to record one channel while you watch another, or record two channels at the same time - neither of which you can do with a seperate box anyway. Bear in mind though, the Sky+ box will not automatically change channels for you (since it expects two cables and therefore tries to record on the second). Again, a seperate box probably won't do this either. Consider grabbing a cheap Sky+ box from eBay, and just asking Sky to upgrade your account to allow Sky+.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Laptop Recommendation - HELP PLEASE22
    2. Ideas on a upgrade from a UE boombox please?10
    3. I posted a deal that has been removed410
    4. Looking to travel from belfast22

See more discussions